TGP isn't looking where HUD's mark shows

zarostar

Hi everyone

If that subject have been disccused already, please people, don't hesitate deleting this thread.

In the attached picture, I circled where the TGP is looking, and on the hud, you can see the mark is clearly not at the same location.

Flying like that is a real hell (as I can't easily locate targets with the TGP, or too late).

Not saying this ED's fault, probably my config got messed somewhere.

But a little hint would VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks everyone

InkedScreen_210130_214153_LI.jpg

4 hours ago, Frederf said:

Might be a system altitude error. I notice that the TD box seems to be vertically displaced above. I would be curious to see if the tracked point is X feet directly under the TD box. I would be curious to see your INS page or a track.

At That point, the TGP is on Snow Plough mode (if I understood well), I can move the TDC cursor. I mean, the HUD's mark isn't a waypoint...

4 hours ago, Frederf said:

Might be a system altitude error. I notice that the TD box seems to be vertically displaced above. I would be curious to see if the tracked point is X feet directly under the TD box. I would be curious to see your INS page or a track.

At That point, the TGP is on Snow Plough mode (if I understood well), I can move the TDC cursor. I mean, the HUD's mark isn't a waypoint...

A piece of info : I usually do INS fast alignment (stored heading), so maybe a problem from here...

Crap, sorry for double reply...

1 hour ago, Florence201 said:

INS WayPoint markers still “hover” above the ground point, rather than at altitude set

Maybe because I do not set a waypoint altitude when I am setting a new one... It is rare that I fly missions with already set waypoints, so maybe there is something here too...

5 hours ago, Florence201 said:

If you don’t set and Alt, then the default is 6600’ iirc. But it can still float above in the HUD despite correct Alt set. 

Alright, next time I fly the hornet, I will see to set proper WPT ground ALT.

4 hours ago, fudabidu said:

Don't think I've ever seen the TD box being accurate since the big SPI patch. Same problem occurs with MAVs in VIS.

"track file needed" ... because it's just not obvious enough

Alright, will look for that. I didn't end nicely the mission (clear exit to desktop), so it didn't save anyhting...will do another one when I can.
But also, you believe it MAY (I insist on the "may") be a dev issue?

Edited by zarostar

22 hours ago, Florence201 said:

Having had another look at your picture, did you correctly BORESIGHT the Mavericks before this point? That would explain the offset between TGP and Mav LOS

I was actually trying to do it!!!!

13 hours ago, Furiz said:

If you look at his altimeter on the picture I doubt he set the altitude.

Indeed, I didn't set any WPT altitude. Also, I kept my altimeter at 29.92, which is the usual standard when flying above the transition altitude (I doubt real jetfighters changes the setting while doing a dive bombing...)

Right but the question becomes what happens to system altitude if baro alt and GPS alt fight. In older non-EGI F-16 sure the baro would drag the system alt to match over time because it has no other source of altitude info (apart from doing manual A-CAL). But EGI has GPS and GPS is a true altitude source which should influence SALT. There is also the radar altimeter which combined with the terrain database (and steer elevation without database) which can do the addition. What height the F-16 thinks it is is a semi-complicated question.

Anyway, there's definitely a system altitude bug in DCS. I did a mission with a waypoint at surface level once with 29.92 pressure and once with 28.92 (about 1000' of difference). Here are the screenshots.

Screen_210201_184430.png

Correct TD box placement.Screen_210201_184507.png

Too low TD box placement (F-16 thinks it is higher than it is). Notice that no TGP was loaded for this mission. I'm going to do it a third time from a ramp start to see if a proper cold ramp alignment fixes it or not.

It doesn't. I'll try again setting align SALT too high by 1000' and see if that changes anything.

Looks related to:

Edited by Frederf

Hi people
Instead of a track file (that I have absolutely no idea how to get), I made a series of screen to explain.
I did a flight on the same map (NTTR), but this time, did a full time alignment, AND, making sure the SALT was the same as my current ALT before starting engine (shortly after beginning the alignment, as recommended).

On this screen, you can see on both DDI as well as the HUD that :

MAV is on boresight mode (DDI) and both HUD markers are aligned (the cross for the MAV and the box for the TGP). It's easy to compare both DDIs...

Screen_210205_214931.png

On that screen, the left DDI for the MAV is still on the target (same spot as on the HUD), and we can the same view on the TGP's DDI (the right), however, on the HUD, the TGP's box is absolutely not on the same spot as the MAV...

Screen_210205_215000.png

I putted active pause for being able to properly take those screens, and we can clearly see (well at least, I can guarantee it is) the right DDI (TGP) is looking at the same target s the right DDI (MAV), but both HUD markers are far away from each other.Screen_210205_215039.png

I completly accept the fact that I may be doing a mistake, but Jesus, which one??!!