High-drag bombs detonating mid-air

Lawn*Dart

I have recently been noticing a problem where high-drag bombs are detonating mid-air immediately after releasing them in ripple mode, blowing the plane up in the process.  I first noticed the problem in the F-5 when rippling all five snakeyes from the center rack.  This happens regardless of fuzing, but seems to happen more often with shorter interval times.  Releasing in a dive also seems to exacerbate it, but it occurs in level flight as well, and at speeds well within the release envelope (~400 kts). I have also been able to recreate it with the F-16's triple ejectors and have heard F-14 pilots talk of the same thing happening.  I can also make it happen with Mk 82 AIRs, although it's less frequent.  From external view it seems that the bombs might be bumping into each other.  My guess is that the fuses are arming instantaneously and any part of a bomb touching any other part of another bomb is causing detonation.  I don't remember this ever being an issue when I was bombing a lot with the F-5 six months to a year ago, so did something break the bombs' fuzing or collision models in one of the recent updates?  This is making bombing with the F-5 a really dangerous proposition, and I would love for it to get fixed.

Edit- here's some other people posting about the problem in the F-5 section: 

Edited by Lawn*Dart
Added link to other discussion

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this issue messing around with the F-14, but it may affect other modules as well.

The problem: ripple dropping the Mk-82 Snakeye in level flight has a pretty high chance of one or more bombs exploding in midair, possibly caused by collision with another bomb.

Test parameters:

Speed: ~400 knots

Altitude: ~600ft MSL

Standard temp/pressure, no wind

14 bomb ripple, 50ms interval

snakeye_ripple.trk

• ED Team

I do have a related report open for this issue, I will add this to the report.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

please include a track replay showing the issue, thank you. 

edit: threads merged

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 2/16/2021 at 4:20 AM, BIGNEWY said:

please include a track replay showing the issue, thank you. 

edit: threads merged

Here are tracks of it happening with both the F-5 and the F-16.  I have a wingman who has also been able to replicate it with the F-18 and with other high-drag bombs such as Mk-18AIR, although less reliably.  It appears to be much more frequent with bombs that are carried nose-to-tail like the F-14 and the F-5's center rack, or that are clustered densely such as the the F-16 with four triple racks.

F-5E3_snakeye_bug.trk F16_snakeye_bug.trk

• ED Team

thanks, have added to the report. 

the F-16 track did look like you nosed over a little at release, but the f-5 track shows it clearly. 

Yeah, the F-16 drop wasn't quite level, but it still didn't look like an issue of the bombs hitting the plane due to low or negative G, but rather two bombs colliding with each other well behind the plane, which I don't think would be affected by a slight nose over attitude?

• 1 month later...

When flying with 18 mk82SE (high drag mode) in the F14 100ms singles or 200ms pairs seems to be a "safe" setting with Jester. 50ms singles or 100ms pairs seems to be certain doom for the airframe with the bombs clipping either under or close enough behind to destroy the aircraft. I don't think the mk20 cares.

Edit: mk82AIR appear to be more stable, F14 appears to have safe setting of 50ms singles or 100ms pairs. Presumably IRL there is an actual lower limit on the timing/spacing of weapons release and also IRL weapons spacing is probably generally wider than what we are doing in DCS due to IRL blast / fragmentation radius and aim to get at least some bombs on target (vs tendency to have tighter spacing in DCS due damage modelling). Then again there should probably be a post launch safety fuse on these things to avoid them blowing up near the aircraft.

Edited by Sideburns

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄