Enemy Suppression or fight/flight

Fury_007

Hello,

Has anyone heard if ED has any plans on implementing or coding the use of suppression of the enemy or making the enemy choose fight or flight when they are being shot at?

I think that would be a great addition to the game. For instance, you are in an attack helicopter bearing down at an enemy. He notices that and stop shooting at you and runs behind a building or tries to break line of sight. Once you fly past him, he opens up fire on you as you fly away.

Does this sound like it may be too difficult to code?

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I'm highlighting this wish back to the top.  With all the helicopters out this year, we need better close air support reactions.  If you're tasked to suppress the enemy, near misses should have effects.

There is a script Mbot made that addressed this, however, I'd like to see it in the core game. 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/90044-suppression-fire-script/

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

This is also something that would be great for Air to Air. Right now pretty much every engagement is a fight to the death, which doesn't always make sense. In a Gulf map scenario I'd imagine Iran would be conservative with their F-14's, using them as long range Phoenix launchers and avoiding dogfights. Or a more general example, two flights engage and one side loses half their numbers, the remaining planes might retreat to fight another day instead of just being destroyed.

The simplest way to implement this is probably an option like "RTB on group alive less than" or something like that, but I think to really make it useful we might want to add something like objective markers to the map to help guide the AI. These would basically be points on the map that a mission editor can assign meaning to. One point might be a "capture" objective for some ground units. These units would automatically advance to that, only stopping to fight off enemy units. Another point could be set as a "retreat" point so that the units would know it's a safe place to fall back to if they take too many losses. Planes could use similar points, for example a retreat point for AWACS and Tanker aircraft could have them automatically fall back and change their orbits if enemies get too close.

Self preservation like this would add something new to combat and I think be quite important in a long campaign to avoid one side just draining all their resources right away.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 7/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, Exorcet said:

This is also something that would be great for Air to Air. Right now pretty much every engagement is a fight to the death, which doesn't always make sense. In a Gulf map scenario I'd imagine Iran would be conservative with their F-14's, using them as long range Phoenix launchers and avoiding dogfights. Or a more general example, two flights engage and one side loses half their numbers, the remaining planes might retreat to fight another day instead of just being destroyed.

The simplest way to implement this is probably an option like "RTB on group alive less than" or something like that, but I think to really make it useful we might want to add something like objective markers to the map to help guide the AI. These would basically be points on the map that a mission editor can assign meaning to. One point might be a "capture" objective for some ground units. These units would automatically advance to that, only stopping to fight off enemy units. Another point could be set as a "retreat" point so that the units would know it's a safe place to fall back to if they take too many losses. Planes could use similar points, for example a retreat point for AWACS and Tanker aircraft could have them automatically fall back and change their orbits if enemies get too close.

Self preservation like this would add something new to combat and I think be quite important in a long campaign to avoid one side just draining all their resources right away.

One possible work around is to attach a moving trigger zone to the aircraft in question, and if a known adversary gets inside the zone, it switches to the specific 'react to enemy' state. So if I, in say, a Hornet, got close to a specific aircraft, and got inside that zone, it would just run away as fast as possible, or if the unit is actually attacked it'll do that, there's at least a couple triggers that could work for what you want... and to that end... I might try a few in my groups upcoming campaign.

10 hours ago, Tank50us said:

One possible work around is to attach a moving trigger zone to the aircraft in question, and if a known adversary gets inside the zone, it switches to the specific 'react to enemy' state. So if I, in say, a Hornet, got close to a specific aircraft, and got inside that zone, it would just run away as fast as possible, or if the unit is actually attacked it'll do that, there's at least a couple triggers that could work for what you want... and to that end... I might try a few in my groups upcoming campaign.

It's a good idea and I've tried using it before, though one weakness with moving zone is that you have to specify by unit, which is painful in complex missions. It can also involve setting up a lot of extra waypoints and waypoint switching logic.

I think the addition of markers specifically for controlling AI logic and designating sides/front lines would make things faster and easier overall. Having the AI hide/advance/reatreat would be really nice in the sim, but I don't often see people address how the AI would know where to move. Retreating in a direction that sends them farther from friendly territory would most likely defeat the purpose of the function.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 6 months later...

Got to ask the question - is this actually just around the corner? 😀

Not sure whether it's just very good selective editing of the current system, or whether there are some changes afoot with the infantry AI when it comes to being under fire, but the latest AH64 progress video appears to be having infantry reacting to fire in ways I haven't witnessed before, but here's hoping that there has been some development done on this to enhance the AH64's immersion - that will hopefully benefit other modules such as the UH1 as well. 

dcs1.gif

dcs2.gif

• Like 4