What AI Only Aircraft would you like to see for DCS World?

JonathanRL

On 2/4/2021 at 4:05 PM, Irishlad200000 said:

Think it is best they finish the paid playable stuff first. We have plenty of aircraft, we need more ground forces and assets to bomb!

The current modules are basically complete as far as 3D stuff goes (apart from the Hornet's cockpit, which still has some of the model holes and issues from years back).

And I'd argue for aircraft we're missing a lot, but yes, we do need more units across the board (though preferably after the current set has been brought up to the same standard).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

12 hours ago, Max1mus said:

Any answer thats not "modern russian and chinese multirole" is stupid. Reading answers like "MIg-17F pLeASE" makes me truly want to vomit.

The irony.

Give Eurofighter/F-18/16 users something to fight, right now its just soviet 80s crap at best.

Well guess what, that's basically all we can do. Don't like it? Well you get on the phone to Putin and Jinping and give them your thoughts on their protected documentation for their (typically in service) military aircraft.

This was also the problem of doing modern BLUFOR aircraft in the first place, knowing that they'd have nothing peer to fight that was doable. But the ship has sailed.

The most feasible option by far is Cold War BLUFOR aircraft.

Add an AI Su-27SM3, Su-30SM and MiG-29K. Make an R-77-1 out of what little documentation is available and equip those planes with it. Add J-11B on top of that and give it PL-12.

Again, you get on the phone to Putin and Jinping...

Back in reality and these aircraft are a no-go, I'm sorry it kinda sucks, but that's how it is and there's not much they can do about it. AI could be a maybe, but there's so many assets that should be brought up to standard, some of these models trace back to Flanker 2.5 and that game is nearly as old as me.

And this isn't something with an easy workaround here, I mean this was kinda a big deal a few years ago. And this was for an F-16A/B, an aircraft that is over 40 years old.

ED had to scrub BS3 and that's basically a prototype aircraft...

You wouldnt even need to make new textures, just need to play with .luas a bit and change radar values.

Why not, ED?

How about we get the current plane set up to scratch first? They've been left behind for the best part of 2 decades already.

11 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Wow, your tolerance for other people's opinions is amazing ... typical of younger generations, where everything that matters is "me, me , and me". 

Oi!

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

The irony.

Well guess what, that's basically all we can do. Don't like it? Well you get on the phone to Putin and Jinping and give them your thoughts on their protected documentation for their (typically in service) military aircraft.

This was also the problem of doing modern BLUFOR aircraft in the first place, knowing that they'd have nothing peer to fight that was doable. But the ship has sailed.

The most feasible option by far is Cold War BLUFOR aircraft.

Again, you get on the phone to Putin and Jinping...

Back in reality and these aircraft are a no-go, I'm sorry it kinda sucks, but that's how it is and there's not much they can do about it. AI could be a maybe, but there's so many assets that should be brought up to standard, some of these models trace back to Flanker 2.5 and that game is nearly as old as me.

And this isn't something with an easy workaround here, I mean this was kinda a big deal a few years ago. And this was for an F-16A/B, an aircraft that is over 40 years old.

ED had to scrub BS3 and that's basically a prototype aircraft...

How about we get the current plane set up to scratch first? They've been left behind for the best part of 2 decades already.

Oi!

He was arrested for an ITAR violation.

He was not a US Citizen, none of the right people OK'ed the exchange of the manual to him, and he wanted to take it to Georgia or Russia.

I could see why they threw him in prison.

Rumour also had it he was trying to get F-22/35 manuals just for his collection.

But those are just rumours.

Regardless other sims like early 90s and late 80s Falcon games had MiG-29 AIs to fight its not like you need the same information to make a FF one to make an AI only adversary. Unclass information for J-11s Su-30SMs and so on should be more than enough.

Or do you expect me to believe they got actual F-117 info when they put it as an AI in the game

2 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

He was arrested for an ITAR violation.

He was not a US Citizen, none of the right people OK'ed the exchange of the manual to him, and he wanted to take it to Georgia or Russia.

I could see why they threw him in prison.

Rumour also had it he was trying to get F-22/35 manuals just for his collection.

But those are just rumours.

Regardless other sims like early 90s and late 80s Falcon games had MiG-29 AIs to fight its not like you need the same information to make a FF one to make an AI only adversary. Unclass information for J-11s Su-30SMs and so on should be more than enough.

Or do you expect me to believe they got actual F-117 info when they put it as an AI in the game

2 (technically 5) words: DCS AI.

You've already got an AI J-11, and there's already an AI Su-30, with basically the same BVR capability to within the bounds of DCS' AI.

But hey if you wanna stick to AI aircraft there's the MiG-31 with R-33 and Su-30 with R-77, let's see how well they solve the problem...

Edited by Northstar98

System:

2 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

2 (technically 5) words: DCS AI.

But hey if you wanna stick to AI aircraft there's the MiG-31 with R-33 and Su-30 with R-77, let's see how well they solve the problem...

Those are early 90s planes at best and pushovers in my F/A-18, I want to fight against a Su-30SM type plane or a MiG-31BM AI, other sims have those types of planes.

Lesser sims one could argue...why can't ED do the same?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 3:53 PM, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Those are early 90s planes at best and pushovers in my F/A-18, I want to fight against a Su-30SM type plane or a MiG-31BM AI, other sims have those types of planes.

Lesser sims one could argue...why can't ED do the same?

What would change? It's DCS AI, it has all the tactical proficiency of a chunky fart. That other sim, if we're thinking of the same thing, has far better AI, which makes AI aircraft much more of a threat, and reworking the AI is much more of a bigger fish to fry.

It's like the Pantsir-S1 that we're getting, with DCS limitations it probably won't be much different than the Tunguska, in part because DCS' AI can't engage things categorised as bombs, so you can just lob a JDAM at it and it won't even try to engage it.

AFAIK the MiG-31BM has basically exactly the same A/A capabilities (when factoring DCS' AI which already typically has SA and sensors that overperform), apart from the R-37, and have fun getting data for that. 

Edited by Northstar98

System:

1 minute ago, Northstar98 said:

What would change? It's DCS AI, it has all the tactical proficiency of a chunky fart. That other sim, has far better AI, which makes AI aircraft much more of a threat, and reworking the AI that's much more of a bigger fish to fry.

Well I figure if they had better radars and missiles at the very least they wouldn't get flexed on as hard

I find the Su-30 just too easy to Short Skate and go banzai on because of the R-27ER being SARH (And it not really using multi-ship tactics to get the most of it) and how weak the kinematics of the RVV AE especially when compared to the AIM-120C5

Would still be a stupid AI but shooting PL-12s and R-77-1s I reckon it would be more fun than now

2 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Well I figure if they had better radars and missiles at the very least they wouldn't get flexed on as hard

I find the Su-30 just too easy to Short Skate and go banzai on because of the R-27ER being SARH (And it not really using multi-ship tactics to get the most of it) and how weak the kinematics of the RVV AE especially when compared to the AIM-120C5

Would still be a stupid AI but shooting PL-12s and R-77-1s I reckon it would be more fun than now

The AI is simplified quite a bit. A modern Su-xx might get slightly more radar range, but that's probably not going to make a huge difference, and there is AWACS anyway. R-27 and R-77 are bad mostly because ED hasn't had the chance to analyze them in CFD yet. PL-12 and R-77-1 would be just as bad unless ED used guess values (which they could do with current missiles awaiting CFD modeling).

The current Su-30, J-11, and JF-17 are probably as deadly as the AI can get barring things like stealth, supercruise, and Meteor missiles.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

First, I'd just like to see all of the AI models get a nice refresh so they aren't stuck in 2003.

I think the EA-6B Prowler is sorely needed for the SC. I'd also add the F-111F and AC-130 units.

• Like 2

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

43 minutes ago, Fanki 17 said:

Jets: Su35, updated Su17, updated Su30

Helicopters: Mi17

The Mi-17 is the export version of the Mi-8 and externally its practically identical .. you can use the Mi-8 in its place.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

The Mi-17 is the export version of the Mi-8 and externally its practically identical .. you can use the Mi-8 in its place.

It is identical AFAIK, we have the Mi-8MTV-2, and Mi-8Mxx are the export variant, just the domestic designation; everywhere else it's referred to as the Mi-17. If that makes sense.

System:

When considiring stuff that really only would be valuable as AI, not as a flyable aircraft, I would say long range bombers. First of all the B-29, as it was the main target for the MiG-15.

I could also think of some older transport aircraft which could make good non-flyable assets.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 minutes ago, Jonne said:

I could also think of some older transport aircraft which could make good non-flyable assets.

yes, I’d love to have the C-124:

C-124A_unloading_during_Korean_War.jpg

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That is indeed a nice one. Additionally recon aircraft come to my mind. U-2 for example, as this is again an aircraft where the typical mission profile is outside the DCS scope, yet intercepting one would fit very well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, Kang said:

So far I'd conclude that the answer to the question 'What AI aircraft would you like?' is 'Yes.'

You're not wrong!

System: