Mounting MFD's on a 1/4" mdf panel

sea2sky

Hi guys, I'm building a Hornet pit (will post a WIP pictures later), and got to the point where I would be cutting the front panel. I'm planning to use HELIOS and a 24" display behind it. So, now I'm wondering how I should place the MFD's - should they be sitting on the screen or should I mount them on the mdf panel. The first way ensures there is no gap between MFD and a screen, but I somewhat afraid of damaging the display. Do you think it would be ok or should I keep a bit of a gap there? Those who went the same route - can you suggest? Thanks!

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

1 hour ago, flyco said:

I have mounted mine on MDF with no hardship.  I use M4 screw in fasteners.  I also drill a small hole immediately below the centre of the lower edge, to take the connection cable.

In the other words - your mfd is on mdf and not touching the screen? How did you screw it on? by corners? And if you used fasteners - does it mean you have enough of space between the mdf and screen?

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I misread your post.  Mine are mounted either side of my touch screen.

I did originally try mounting them on the edge of the touch monitor, using just 3 bolts.  However, they did interfere with the screen, unless they were spaced well in front, which led to parallax.  

In the end I left them without any visual inside their frames.  I find them very useable that way, although I prefer to use the touch buttons on the main touch display.