SAM ammunition

shomke

9 hours ago, shomke said:

Nice maneuver Skysurfer!

It's not really difficult either, decoys and a low level ingress works every time. The moment you add a more layered defense with IR, AAA and medium range stuff is where it really gets dicey and near to impossible without a significant standoff weapon.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 1:16 PM, Northstar98 said:

Yes, the launchers only have a limited number of missiles.

However, if you put just one appropriate truck down (like the GAZ-66, Ural-375, M818 etc), they will continuously replenish so long as they're in range of the vehicle, obviously it takes a while for them to replenish each reload - but in theory they can fire endlessly.

A better system would be to implement transloaders or equivalent (where applicable), with either a set amount of reloads (preferably a realistic number), and have the reloads teleport from the reload vehicle to the launcher after a realistic time.

That would be nice. And it would require that each unit has their tasks and procedures automated by the developer of the unit for the AI. So when example the launcher is empty, the unit would take-off and start to move to preparation area for cover, as well rearming etc by the doctrine. A new launcher could drive from the air cover to its place and prepare to fill its place.

Considering there would be tens of missiles ready to be launched, their own defense against ARM and GBU etc, you just have those elsewhere nicely protecting these larger ones. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:09 AM, shomke said:

I didn't try that sneaking method yet, but I will! Lot of fun indeed.

Do you take some AI wingmen with you when you do that?

Sometimes i use AI F-14´s launching the decoy (TALD) to make my attack run on a SAM site. It lures the SAM´s and i can make an attack run from the opposite direction 🙂

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I’m not sure SEAD will ever be truly realistic in DCS. You don’t attack an S-300 site with HARMs...DCS doesn’t model the sophisticated EW equipment that is used- in conjunction with JSOW or other heavier ordinance like JDAMs (from high altitude). The USAF isn’t attacking an S-300 With a handful of aircraft armed with HARMS. Those are used for smaller sites and point self defense.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:59 PM, Mike_Romeo said:

Actually no if you place a truck within 200m of the launchers. The truck will reload the launchers endlessly but the reload will take a lot of time depending on the SAM. You can read more about this in the DCS manual (DCS World (OpenBeta)\Doc\DCS User Manual EN 2020.pdf) page 311

Thanks for the reference... I've never actually delved deep into the manual. So a Patriot will take 3600 secs (1 hour) to reload with an M818; however, one of the examples shows 1x M818 per launcher, will this speed up the process? Will more than 1x ammo truck reload a patriot quicker? or is this just to have more ammo supplies on hand per launcher and reload times are the same regardless of the number of ammo trucks nearby.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:24 AM, LTRMcrew said:

Thanks for the reference... I've never actually delved deep into the manual. So a Patriot will take 3600 secs (1 hour) to reload with an M818; however, one of the examples shows 1x M818 per launcher, will this speed up the process? Will more than 1x ammo truck reload a patriot quicker? or is this just to have more ammo supplies on hand per launcher and reload times are the same regardless of the number of ammo trucks nearby.

As far as I can tell the number of trucks makes no real difference. The time it takes to reload (per missile/shell) is depending on the unit being reloaded, not on the supply vehicle and thus having more of them doesn't speed up the process. One truck can reload all units within its supply radius simultaneously and - even more importantly - carries unlimited ammunition, which makes trucks quite important when building your missions.

Since this would be much different in real life you might want to place more trucks near a battery to make them look a bit more realistic, or - the only real advantage of having multiple trucks - to make sure the battery remains operational even if a truck gets hit.

1 hour ago, shomke said:

Interesting anime DocHawkeye. What is it?

It's the Operation Yashima scene of Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0. Someone mentioned the S-300 being able to vaporize around 30+ HARMs at a time and the scene seemed pretty applicable. 

Edited by DocHawkeye

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 6:24 PM, LTRMcrew said:

no, it shouldnt. first, theres only two vehicles used for patriot reload, neither of which is in DCS. theres the GMT, or guided missile transporter, and theres the forklift. units will have a single gmt assigned, and sometimes a forklift..but not always.

1 hour for reload is realistic. if there are more than 4 spare missiles on site, it will take awhile to finish reload one launcher & start reloading another. the GMT would have to go to the holding area, offload spent cans, and load fresh ones before heading out. a forklift on its own isnt very efficient unless missiles are prepositioned next to the launcher. additionally, a site is limited by how many reload crews it can send downrange at one time. 

could you game the system to exploit loopholes in DCS? yes, if you dont care about realism, sure- its your game

Regarding the m818, once upon a time (the only photo i saw of it was from the 70s), the launchers prime mover was a 5-ton bobtail. That may be why you see the m818. I have personally seen a radar being pulled by a highly modified very short wheelbase 5-ton based tug at an airfield once. DCS needs a hemmt bobtail . The m983 is the correct prime mover, and there should be 1 per launcher and 1 additional for the radar (which is mounted on the same trailer)

Edited by ngreenaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE