The 109, the flying comet!

Hunter Joker

I've been noticing for a while now a new aircraft in DCS, the 109 flying comet..

Jokes aside in SP and MP I can see 109 englulfed in a fireball still flying and fighting like they haven't any damage.
Yesterday on SOW for example I hit 2 109 setting them ablaze, one was able to fight for 5 minutes hitting my wingman and the escaping towards a friend's airfield, the other could hit full power and even if ablaze climb and escape....
As for the two I receive no kill in the SOW's stats I can assume that they made it back succesfully.
I fear that ED must check how 109 react to damage, cause at the moment, at least for what I see, they react unnaturally.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 11:52 AM, Hunter Joker said:

Probably You are right but the strange is that it happens only with the 109 and also not only on MP but also in SP. The 109 can take a lot of damage and still fly like nothing has happened, at least in my experience.

Rest assured as it happens to all WWII planes.. I think it's already acknowledged by ED.

• Like 1

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the 109 is impervious to both 20 mm cannon and 303‘s. Over the past two days I have emptied every single bullet and cannon shell I have into a single 109, and it keeps on flying. This is pretty frustrating. In addition, they hit you with one bullet, and you usually black out explode burn up etc.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill

SYSTEM:

Processor - Intel® Core i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3600MHz water-cooled

Installed memory (RAM) - 32.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 10 & DCS on SSD

Video Card - water-cooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Internet: Cable 200Mbps 12Mbps

The damage model is great if you fly on the German side. Land a single cannon hit on an allied plane and its un-flyable. But on the allies side German planes are airworthy until the engine stops completely. You can empty all your ammunition into them and they just fly back to base no problem.

The desynchronization does not hold the road....On the server where I fly, there are AI and players. The players on the red side don't fall under fire from the planes on the blue side, but the AI's die quickly...... so tell me that it's a synchronization problem.......
In actual combat, even a Mustang with its "small" caliber wasn't supposed to empty its payload to shoot down an enemy plane.....in which case it has to do it.....
The Spitfire, which has guns and machine guns, also has difficulties to shoot down an enemy....It seems to say that the blue side has rubber bullets......The game has simply become an important frustration game......

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• 5 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, Snapage said:

That does not happen for me unfortunately. Below is what I experience in DCS WW2.

Apparently ED just cares about eye candy... they need to focus on gameplay. I dont care that much about eye candy or I would have purchased MSFlight sim. 
I starting not to see any point in playing this anymore.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For me, if an aircraft has an engine fire or fuel tank fire, then the pilot should immediately bale out. and . . . . . . if piloted by a user, the screen should go black within several seconds if the real pilot does not bale out thus indicating death as per a crash does. Both online and offline.

Edited by Davee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 10:35 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

DCS is known to have desync issues with damage. Happens on modern fighters, too. If the client registers damage but the server doesn't, you can have aircraft flying around without wings or while on fire. 

Exactly that, and until that is improved, even an Aboslut Perfect DM is of little use to us.

You see a lot of hits and the server or whatever has a severe visual impairment and is also blind in one eye.

Desync is inherent in networked play. So unless you're doing a LAN party, some of that will always happen, because there's always some latency on the internet. The only fix this particular issue would be to have the visuals depend on server-side state of the DM. Won't fix the server ignoring your hits, but at least the visuals would be consistent.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:57 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

Desync is inherent in networked play. So unless you're doing a LAN party, some of that will always happen, because there's always some latency on the internet. The only fix this particular issue would be to have the visuals depend on server-side state of the DM. Won't fix the server ignoring your hits, but at least the visuals would be consistent.

Yes, but other games don't have as big a problem with this issue as DCS.

in the other sims/games it's not nearly as bad.

Edited by Hobel

It might be more consistent in other sims, but there's only so much you can do to compensate physical network latency. A better connection might help, optimizing the netcode might help (although DCS does have a lot to push down the pipe), sure, but it's never going to go away entirely. For all I know, the other WWII sim might simply be better at hiding it. Which, admittedly, is a good way to deal with desync.

Either way, this belongs in general, since this is a core issue that affects every single aircraft flown in MP.

Edited by Dragon1-1