Pot or Rotary Encoder for Trim box

Badders46

On the Bf-109 I use an axis (left throttle lever).

On the FW-190 (both) the POV hat on my joystick grip (no axis available).

I find rotary encoders generally too slow for the trim axes (plus, I have only two).

On the P-47 I use the POV hat as well, but have reduced the "sensitivity" (gain value) in "clickabledata.lua" because in fact I found it too fast.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Generally a pot would be used for absolute values in older aircraft. If you used an arduino you could get clever and do both with a pot.

I did that with a WWII flap lever. I added a small switch above it to switch between analogue and button mode. In analogue mode it would send directly as a joystick axis, in button mode it would send multiple upflap or downflap button presses based on where the lever was positioned. So that let me use it for the 109, and P51/Spitfire

Here's a photo of what I did a long time ago, hopefully it makes a bit more sense. The trim wheel goes into a pot, and the flap lever has the little switch to swap between modes.

All ran off a Arduino Leonardo which allows it to show up as a joystick in windows.

IMG_20210203_150637_998-r.jpg

Edited by Savvy
  • Like 1