F15 nighttime VSD & RWR readability

Gamerdoc

Since the Jan patch, the VSD and RWR became unreadable at nighttime.  Letters are too bright, too thick and smudged against each other.  I can't play my campaign because of this.

Would you mind addressing this please.  Surely F15 is still very popular?

Edited by Gamerdoc
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed the same issue, as well as the general lighting problems.

• Aircraft lights, both exterior and interior lights are all unbalanced. Some lights, such as the External Navigation Lights - the red and green wingtip lights - and also the Cockpit Instrument Flood Lights are too dim and barely visible;
  • While the HUD, RWR, VSD/Radar and the MFD displays and digital symbology are way too bright and overexposed;
  • Also, what even is that mysterious red light that lits up the head rest of the seat when you turn on the Interior lights? Where does that come from?

Landing Gear Lights are also bugged.

• When you turn on the Taxi Light (the upper lamp on the nose wheel gear), it doesn't show the texture of the lit lamp and the "halo" effect. The light actually lits up the ground and the bottom of the nose as it should, but the light texture doesn't show up properly. Only the Landing Light (the lower and bigger lamp on the gear) shows these textures correctly;
  • Another issue that bothers me about the F-15's Landing Gear lights is that the taxi light looks too dim and weak. It doesn't reach nearly half as far as the F-16's or the SU-33's taxi lights can reach.

Another minor issue I've noticed in the cockpit instruments is that the clock at the bottom of the Front Console doesn't feature the 'seconds' needle rotation. It shows the minutes and hours properly, but it always gives me the impression the clock is not working, cause I don't see the seconds needle moving.

I absolutely LOVE the F-15 and wish it had a little bit more of attention from the developers... Maybe it's time for it to receive an update in its 3D models and textures. Wish I could do it myself if I had the proper softwares and tools. The Flaming Cliffs 3 is an awesome entry-level module and it deserves a bit of love as well.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB | HyperX Fury 16GB RAM @2666MHz | ASUS Prime B-350 Plus | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU | Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | 1.25TB HDD Total | NZXT Phantom Black Full-Tower ATX Case | Saitek-Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Flight Stick + Xbox 360 Controller + Keyboard + Mouse Combo for DCS | FreeTrack + PS3 Eye + 3-LED clip Combo for headtracking

• ED Team

Please attach a video or screenshot of what you are seeing, a short track replay showing it will help also.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Roger that, sir. 🙂

Cockpit Instruments Lighting.png

HUD and Displays overly bright.png

Port and Starboard Nav Lights.png

Old Screenshot.png

Edited by WilliamLink
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB | HyperX Fury 16GB RAM @2666MHz | ASUS Prime B-350 Plus | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU | Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | 1.25TB HDD Total | NZXT Phantom Black Full-Tower ATX Case | Saitek-Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Flight Stick + Xbox 360 Controller + Keyboard + Mouse Combo for DCS | FreeTrack + PS3 Eye + 3-LED clip Combo for headtracking

Landing Light halo texture.png

Taxi Light missing texture.png

Red Strobe Lights 1.png

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Red Strobe Lights 2.png

Taxi Light example.png

Landing Light example.png

Mysterious seat light.png

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry for multiple posts, the screenshots were kinda large files...

By the way, in regards to the Landing Gear Lights, the way the "Landing/Far" is currently set up seems to be showing the correct behavior. It actually illuminates the runway from a considerably good distance, given the correct AoA for the landing. The only problem is the "Taxi/Near" light. Too short of a range, plus the halo effect issue.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see someone still cares about the eagle. I'm on openbeta and can comfirm these lighting problems have been there for a while, before 2021 I remember.

Now it's really hard to tell if nav lights are on during the daytime, but I noticed that covers of nav lights cast shadow only when they are on.

Also, the nav lights command used to control only nav lights if I remember correctly, but now it cycles through 3 modes: Nav only/Both nav and anti-collision/All off, means that it will turn off a/c lights for you automatically when you turn off nav lights...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nyanrata said:

Good to see someone still cares about the eagle. I'm on openbeta and can comfirm these lighting problems have been there for a while, before 2021 I remember.

Now it's really hard to tell if nav lights are on during the daytime, but I noticed that covers of nav lights cast shadow only when they are on.

Also, the nav lights command used to control only nav lights if I remember correctly, but now it cycles through 3 modes: Nav only/Both nav and anti-collision/All off, means that it will turn off a/c lights for you automatically when you turn off nav lights...

Yes, I love flying the Eagle, and unfortunately I feel like it is showing its age in DCS. So much time without any update. Even the Flankers and the Fulcrum received updates both in 3D models and systems and flight model, But the Eagle has been pretty much the same since 1.5, if I'm not mistaken.

About the Nav Lights, that's right. It used to have different hotkeys for toggling the NAV and the Strobe/Anti-Collision lights, but they merged into the same key after 2.5.something. You press it once, it turns on the Nav Lights, press again to turn on the Strobe/Anti-Collision, press a third time and they all go off. Formation Lights only turn on when you're airborne, in NAV mode (can be either NAV or ILS). If you go into any combat mode - or when you're on the ground - the Formation Lights turn off.

I wish there was some sort of "overhauling" of the Flaming Cliffs 3 with better systems model (maybe a Flaming Cliffs 4? Who knows... I mean, a man can dream, right?).

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2021/3/10 PM12点11分,WilliamLink说:

Yes, I love flying the Eagle, and unfortunately I feel like it is showing its age in DCS. So much time without any update. Even the Flankers and the Fulcrum received updates both in 3D models and systems and flight model, But the Eagle has been pretty much the same since 1.5, if I'm not mistaken.

About the Nav Lights, that's right. It used to have different hotkeys for toggling the NAV and the Strobe/Anti-Collision lights, but they merged into the same key after 2.5.something. You press it once, it turns on the Nav Lights, press again to turn on the Strobe/Anti-Collision, press a third time and they all go off. Formation Lights only turn on when you're airborne, in NAV mode (can be either NAV or ILS). If you go into any combat mode - or when you're on the ground - the Formation Lights turn off.

I wish there was some sort of "overhauling" of the Flaming Cliffs 3 with better systems model (maybe a Flaming Cliffs 4? Who knows... I mean, a man can dream, right?).

Even just add some MPCD pages I wish...Think about it, Eagle with datalink display...

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, Convexrook said:

@BIGNEWY any updates on this topic?
He posted the screenshots.

Well, they've fixed MOST of these issues - some of them still persist - since the latest update (Version 2.7.6 Stable Release).

• The cockpit interior lighting has been tuned up quite a notch (only during daytime you can barely notice any difference, but for night time it's ok);
  • Exterior Navigation Lights have been fixed and are fairly visible now;
  • Leading edge wing base Red Strobe Lights have been tuned down to a reasonable level;
  • HUD brightness is adjustable as always, doesn't need fixing;
  • The Displays are still too bright and overexposed;
  • The mysterious red light on the head of the Ejection Seat is still present;

Now the Landing/Taxi Lights, however, are presenting a new issue: They are missing the "halo" effect texture completely. Or rather, what I believe it's actually happening is there's some sort of Alpha Clipping issue between the "Halo" texture and the glass cap of the lamps, where the glass is displaying opaque on top of the halo texture.

The Landing and Taxi lights are lighting up the ground and objects correctly though. I still think the taxi light is a little dim and doesn't reach very far on the ground. I feel like the F-15 taxi lights still remain the weakest among all the american aircraft in DCS (but MAYBE this is an F-15 related problem? Maybe the F-15 in real life has a weak taxi/landing light? Who knows?).

Edited by WilliamLink
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, USA_Recon said:

Thank you for posting these - the internal lights are also extremely bright when flying in the dark (especially in VR)

also side note the tankers don’t turn their lights after intent to refuel call

Don't think so...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, draconus said:

Miły,@nahena, polubiłem Cię od momentu, gdy wyłączyłeś radar🙂

Unfortunately, with such "gamma" settings on which I fly, there is no chance to find a tanker in the F-15C at night without use radar 😉
And I don't want to fly on the "gamma" which allows you to see normally at night 😉
During the day, the radar is turned off at least 15 miles from the tanker and I never approach in the axis of tanker. I'm always incoming from the left side to the left wing. But the night has its own rules 😉 Sometimes I open the chassis under the tanker and turn on the taxi lights 😉

Sometimes I use the Sidewinder warhead 😉

I assume that the tanker crew wants to have children in the future 😉

Edited by Nahen
  • Like 2