Coolie switch down short not working

kingpinda

finally starting to fly the warthog II and doing the training missions.

In the tutorial the instructor tells me to push coolie hat down short or J to switch mfd pages. this doesnt work. not even pressing the J short. coolie down long does display the dsms pages but short does nothing. is this a bug or is it removed due to realism?

It was changed to SOI to HMCS (regardless of SOI). Seems the tutorial hasn't caught up yet, and the table HOTAS Commands in the manual is also not current.

As far as I know, swapping the MFCDs via HOTAS is no longer possible, you'll have to set them up manually if you're not happy with the default.

Edit: It was discussed in some detail last year: Coolie Switch down short

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1

Thanks man. I’ll go read the manual to see if something else has changed. I felt that tms forward long to make spi didn’t work either. I had to drop a mark point first and make that spi.

I hope the manual is up to date though. Anyway tanks. I thought was doing something wrong or my binds were messed up or something.

1 hour ago, kingpinda said:

I’ll go read the manual to see if something else has changed.

The CMS switch has definitely changed just recently! In this regard, the A-10C II manual is correct (the manual used to be wrong until the changed switch behavior was finally implemented).

BTW, the same CMS change was also introduced to the old A-10C, but that was not documented anywhere and the old A-10C manual is now wrong. But it's still unclear if they forgot to mention the change, or if the CMS behavior will be reverted in the old module.

I think the manual is still work in progress with regards to some of the changes. The HMCS isn't mentioned in some places where it should, and old functions like swapping the MFCDs are stil mentioned in several places, so you might find a few glitches in the documentation.

Edited by Yurgon

5 hours ago, kingpinda said:

Thanks man. I’ll go read the manual to see if something else has changed. I felt that tms forward long to make spi didn’t work either. I had to drop a mark point first and make that spi.

I hope the manual is up to date though. Anyway tanks. I thought was doing something wrong or my binds were messed up or something.

TMS forward long definitely still sets SPI.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue, Coolie right long no longer sets the right MFD to SOI, it used to work fine.

I've tried multiple things to correct it, I've rebound the controls, reinstalled the game, removed the input folder and performed a verify through steam to replace the folder but nothing works.

I've also tried the Keyboard button to perform a Coolie right long but it doesn't work either.

Not sure if this is related to your issue but its made flying the A-10 impossible cause I cannot access the targeting POD in SOI mode.

Tested (TM Warthog)

Works fine too.

what happens when you press CH Right Long under Control ?

jump it to the correct Button?

i think you can only test CH Right Not CH Right long

Edited by rforce

AMD Ryzen 3900xt 32 Gb DDR 4 NVIDIA RTX 4070ti

I tried out an experiment and its quite interesting.

Essentially I inverted the controls, so Coolie right I bound on the controller to the left and Coolie left I bound on the controller to the right.

Now I can do a Coolie long right (on the controller) to trigger SOI on the left MFD.  I can still no get SOI on the right MFD even though I have it bound on the controller to left Coolie.

So this is indicating to me it is not a peripheral issue and is software.  Now I have noticed in the keybinds that there are RED ! in the kneeboard section, I don't own a kneeboard so I have cleared all bindings in there but the Red ! are still shown.  It has to be something linked to this but I cannot work it out.

On a different note, without my targeting pod access I have discovered the main cannon is good enough to do most things on an A-10 🙂

19 hours ago, Chimplicker said:

I tried out an experiment and its quite interesting.

Essentially I inverted the controls, so Coolie right I bound on the controller to the left and Coolie left I bound on the controller to the right.

Now I can do a Coolie long right (on the controller) to trigger SOI on the left MFD.  I can still no get SOI on the right MFD even though I have it bound on the controller to left Coolie.

So this is indicating to me it is not a peripheral issue and is software.  Now I have noticed in the keybinds that there are RED ! in the kneeboard section, I don't own a kneeboard so I have cleared all bindings in there but the Red ! are still shown.  It has to be something linked to this but I cannot work it out.

On a different note, without my targeting pod access I have discovered the main cannon is good enough to do most things on an A-10 🙂

Coolie Switch works exactly as advertised for me as well.  CSLL / CSRL both will SOI the sensor displayed on the respective MFD (obviously as long as the display on that MFD is able to be SOI - i.e CDU display cannot SOI).

As others have stated - sounds like an issue with software (or possibly even hardware).  Repair, double check keybinds, double check A10CII SIM and not A10CII GAME keybinds are not being confused.  Also, double check general keybind tab - to make sure something there isn't overriding your input command.  Hope it isn't a hardware problem, that could get pricey. 

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Thanks all, I appreciate everyones replies.  I'll be on it later tonight so will try everything suggested.  I've not been using the Target software, just direct binds.  I could try using Target if nothing else works.

The hardware is brand new Warthog HOTAS so everything will be under warranty but I don't think it is hardware.

Ok now I'm very confused.  So using the OSB buttons instead of Coolie Long, I can SOI the left screen but it will not SOI the right MFD.

So just to confirm, I'm attempting to SOI the TGP page (it says "NOT SOI") so this screen should be able to be made SOI.  Seems its not a keybind issue if clicking the OSB doesn't work either.

I'm going to do some web searching to see if I can find a reason for this, I mean it used to work, the only thing I did between it working and now not working was switching from VR to Monitor mode.  I have put it back to VR mode but it didn't resolve the issue.

And a 2 second search has found me to be a complete balloon, all be it not searching for Coolie stuff but instead MFD SOI

I was not first selecting either Air to Ground or Air to Air modes.

I'm sorry for wasting everyones time, I really didn't want to be one of "those" people.

Edited by Chimplicker

4 hours ago, Chimplicker said:

Ok now I'm very confused.  So using the OSB buttons instead of Coolie Long, I can SOI the left screen but it will not SOI the right MFD.

Well this is certainly very weird. Right now I have no real solution.

Anyway, I suggest you open a new thread for this problem, because it's not related to Coolie Switch Down in the first place, and doesn't sound like a HOTAS problem after all. It'll be confusing to anyone else with this problem in the future if the solution happened to be buried in a thread about an unrelated problem.

6 hours ago, Chimplicker said:

So just to confirm, I'm attempting to SOI the TGP page (it says "NOT SOI") so this screen should be able to be made SOI.  Seems its not a keybind issue if clicking the OSB doesn't work either.

I'm going to do some web searching to see if I can find a reason for this, I mean it used to work, the only thing I did between it working and now not working was switching from VR to Monitor mode.  I have put it back to VR mode but it didn't resolve the issue.

And a 2 second search has found me to be a complete balloon, all be it not searching for Coolie stuff but instead MFD SOI

I was not first selecting either Air to Ground or Air to Air modes.

I'm sorry for wasting everyones time, I really didn't want to be one of "those" people.

First of all, you're not wasting anyone's time, as you have a real issue here. You could check the keyboard binding for the coolie hat switch. If that works you may check the HOTAS keys and bind them again.

Another possible root cause can be messed up default keybinds in the default or your .diff.lua

Are there any red/orange lines with similar name?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Dominator said:

Did you ever get this issue fixed as I am having the same problem?

If you're talking about the red exclamation mark, that occurs with binding errors, especially when you have a button bound to keybinds in both the aircraft section and the "UI Layer" section.

If you have "Button 1" on Device A bound to ANY function in the UI Layer as well as any keybind in the A-10CII section, for example, the keybind in the A-10CII section will get the red "!" and will, in fact, no longer work.

This is a good reason to delete ALL bindings in the UI Layer and program ONLY the ones you want with buttons that will never be used in any module otherwise.

It doesn't explain why the OP's OSB buttons could not select the page on the MFCD as SOI, but given the first error, I'm inclined to believe there was some operator error there somewhere.

• Like 2

I am using the Winwing orion setup and adjusted control so that coolie switch was on throttle 4way and also tried joystick 4way.

If I press Hotas Coolie right it moves right through MFD menus. However if I press Hotas Coolie right long nothing happens. I have even reset default keybinding which is K to try it but again nothing will allow me to set SOI or right MFD. So when using a targeting pod on right there is now way I can interract with it. Which in turn makes the A-10Cii unplayable which is a real shame. 

Has anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?

Nope does not work

Even deleted input file for A-10c and DCS recreated it and same problem.

Alo searched and many other forums posts over the last few years having problems with coolie long press issues. So this is not a one off bug.

Edited by Dominator