DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt livery competition

BIGNEWY

3 hours ago, Art-J said:

Some pretty cool entries here already. I cannot "un-see", however, that a few a them (Megalax's, Sprool's, Waynos', Mike's at least) share the same issue - the inner doors of intercooler outlets are grey, while they should have USAAF insignia painted on them, or fuselage camo in case of foreign birds.

Thanks for the info. I will get on to updating the skin and re-uploading! 

9 hours ago, Art-J said:

Some pretty cool entries here already. I cannot "un-see", however, that a few a them (Megalax's, Sprool's, Waynos', Mike's at least) share the same issue - the inner doors of intercooler outlets are grey, while they should have USAAF insignia painted on them, or fuselage camo in case of foreign birds.

It doesn't appear to be in the template. That's probably why.

I will also fix it and reupload. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by Megalax

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

On 2/10/2021 at 3:14 AM, Waynos said:

Here is my submission. 

This is a skin based on aircraft KJ140 serving with 30 Squadron RAF, part of the South East Asia Command, based in Jumchar, India in December 1944.

I've really enjoyed making this one as I feel the RAF P-47's are under-represented at the minute!

Download available here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314983/

RAF SEAC 8.jpg

RAF SEAC 1.jpg

RAF SEAC 4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Seems you've beaten me to this scheme, I'll have to start again with something else. You did a fantastic job though, well done!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, C-TE-B said:

Seems you've beaten me to this scheme, I'll have to start again with something else. You did a fantastic job though, well done!

I think it's such an iconic scheme and it amazed me that it hadn't been done up to now!

Cheers for the feedback. I've just done some small updates to it today.

I look forward to seeing what you create! 

• ED Team

Great submissions already, thank you everyone, keep them coming in!

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here's my submission ↓ Hope you like it 😄

"Big Ass Bird II" piloted by Maj. Howard Park from 406th Fighter Group, 1945

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314993/

Notice: The inner part of the intercooler doors has the USAF logo, and the nose tip stays red when propellers are spinning. These fixes were made after the screenshots.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Edited by MateusOV
  • Like 9

Really enjoying everyone's work.  Lot's of love for the P-47 community!  Here is another one from me.  It is Aircraft "L3-A" serno. 44-33373 from the 512th Fighter Squadron, 406th Fighter Group as it would of appeared in 1945 when the Squadron was assigned to Nordholz, Germany.  

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315002/

Enjoy!

L3A2.jpg

L3A4.jpg

L3A5.jpg

L3A1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi guys,

I am amazed of the liveries level submitted so far. Congratulations to all participants. 

It is hard for me to decide which livery to submit because I made a total of 33 liveries for the P-47, all Brazilians. As I couldn't decided which one was the best, I decided to present four of them and let the judges evaluate them. I updated them to vs 2.0 so it is on the requested specs.  Here we go with picture, link and what about each livery:

------------ First Livery -------------

A1-1.jpg

Link: P-47D - 1st Brazilian Ftr Sq-Jambock A1 - Menezes (update vs 2.2)

About this Livery:
The livery is as historical as possible.
Warrant Officer Diomar Menezes came to the squadron as one of the very few replacement and flew 71 missions in combat. His plane was a Silver "A1" P-47D-30-RE SN 42-0854, callsign "Red One". He took over this plane after the Flight Lead became sick. He flew it until the War end. This is the most download of my liveries so far.

------------ Second Livery -------------

A4-1.jpg

Link: P-47D - 1st Brazilian Ftr Sq - Jambock A4 - 2nd Lt Torres (update vs 2.2)

About this Livery:
The livery is as historical as possible.

2nd Lt Torres flew 99 combat missions during WWII in Italy (plus onde defensive not included in the grand total). Before that he flew coastal patrol in Brazil. On July, 31st, 1943, he sunk the German U-Boat U-199 with a Catalina named "ARARA" just south of Rio de Janeiro Coast. 43 german submariners died, but 12 survived, including the captain. If you are curious, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-199

During WWII, Torres managed to be the pilot that flew the most sorties, a total of 99 offensive and 1 defensive (not included on his grand total).

This airplane was a P-47D-25-RE SN 42-26756. There is a pair of pictures of this airplane as portrait in this livery. Torres used for a while the word "TROZOBA" on its nose, but it was removed later on. "TROZOBA" is a Brazilian slang that means something like "masculine organ" (but not in an offensive way). The airplane did not have an insignia under his left wing nor on the top of the right one. At the point of the included picture, he had flow 30 missions. And, yes, the "A" letter was misaligned.

He retired right after the war as a Captain. He was a manager in several companies as Texaco, VASP airlines and founded in Brazil "BRINKS", an huge securities carrier and security company. He married, had 5 sons and 9 grandsons. Alberto Martin Torres died on December 2001 and as per his request, his ashes were dropped by plane over Rio de Janeiro Guanabara bay.

------------ Third Livery -------------

Arlette-1.jpg

Link: P-47D - 1st Brazilian Ftr Sq - Jambock Arlette - 1st Lt Miranda Correa (update vs 2.2)

About this Livery:
The livery is as historical as possible. After evaluating the photograph evidence, I concluded that the name ARLETTE was in white, not yellow.

1st Lt Miranda Correa flew 8 combat missions during WWII. He flew very few sorties because he was the Squadron Inteligence officer. When the squadron received the airplanes in October, 44, few pilots decided to customize their planes. Lt Miranda named his plane to his wife, Arlette, and placing a pin-up bellow the canopy. The Squadron CO, Cel Nero Moura, did not like the idea and the customizations was promptly removed. At the time of the famous "Arlette" photo, it had only 3 missions so far.
Eventually, this airplane would be shot down by flak flying as Green Six (D6).

He was fortunate to let him fly a bit as he was an important piece of the squadron. This airplane was a P-47D-25-RE SN 42-26773.There is a famous picture of this airplane. Miranda Correa survived the war, remarried three times and had only one son. He ended his Air Force Career as a General.

------------ Fourth Livery -------------

OD-1.jpg

Link: P-47D - 1st Brazilian Ftr Sq - Jambock - Olive Drab - S/N 42-26770 (update vs 2.2)

About this Livery:
The livery is a generic representation of the 1st Brazilian Squadron P-47s. It has no Serial Number painted. It is in dirty conditions.

A bit more about the 1st Brazilian Squadron History:

The First Brazilian Fighter Group was created in 1943. The training was performed by the Forward Echelon in Florida, then as a Group in P-40s in Aguadulce, Panama, and Sulfolk, New York, flying P-47s. It had a Squadron size. 
During the World War II , the Group was attached to the 350th Fighter Group in Italy as the 4th squadron (1944-1945). It was based initially in Tarquinia and later in Pisa. Due to low on replacements, the pilots extended the Tour of Duty until the war end.
"Jambock" was the callsign used by the Brazilian Fighter Group during the war and still is in used today (flying F-5EM and F-5FM). "Jambock" name has an Indonesian/South African origin (sjanbok or Sambok) and means "animal skin or wood whip". It was a kind of whip.

The Patch on the nose means:
- Ostrich - Brazilians can take and handle anything;
- Hat - The Brazilian Air Force Pilot;
- Shield - The Thunderbolt toughness and the Pilot protection;
- Blue and the 5 Stars - Brazilian Sky and the "South Cross constellation";
- Pistol - the Jug fire-power;
- Cloud - the airspace, "the pilot's floor";
- Red Background - the blood of the Brazilians WIA and KIA;
- "Senta a Púa!" - Group Motto and means "Go for it!" in a "free translation";
Later, after the war, it was added a Flak Cloud to represent the enemy AAA.

This is my way to honor the WWII Veterans, including the Brazilians. I had the privilegie to meet  several of them. I am sure the Brazilian DCS community will enjoy one of these liveries as "Official".

Good luck to all participants!

"Alea Jacta Est!"

ps: A1 was update on Feb, 15th with a new rudder paint job.

ps2: All four liveries were updated for the new template released on 15Feb2021.

ps3: All four liveries were updated to vs 2.2 to correct many errors.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
All four liveries updated to vs 2.2
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Submission #1

UPDATED VERSION (FINAL)

I'm very impressed as well with all your work guys! Cheers!

*UPDATE: 28/02/2021*. After long research, I've found some very fascinating comments over the internet from Witold Lanowski's son about his father's Thunderbolt so I could adjust a lot of things that were incorrect on my skin. The most important thing added to the model was the lucky horseshoe Lanowski had fixed to the fuselage close to his canopy. It was a real horseshoe, so I've added it to the normal map to give it some depth.

Republic P-47M-1 Thunderbolt - 61st FS 8th AF HV-Z

The plane was flown by Captain Witold "Lanny" Lanowski

Download link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315027/

Obs1: The Hakenkreuz on the art was slightly distorted/blurred.

Obs2: The purple paint is a little brighter then the standard painting with some rivets showing because Lanny asked

the ground crew to keep his plane always polished so he could gain some extra 15knt of maximum speed. The serial number on the tail was adjusted down for more historical accuracy.

P-47_HVZ.png

Screenshot_25.jpg

Screenshot_33.jpg

Screenshot_22.jpg

Screenshot_34.jpg

Screenshot_23.png

Contest1.jpg

piotr-forkasiewicz-lanny-000.jpg

Edited by danperin
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2021 at 4:14 AM, Waynos said:

Here is my submission. 

This is a skin based on aircraft KJ140 serving with 30 Squadron RAF, part of the South East Asia Command, based in Jumchar, India in December 1944.

I've really enjoyed making this one as I feel the RAF P-47's are under-represented at the minute!

Download available here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314983/

*Skin has been updated to reflect the feedback from Art-J. Wing roundel sizes also tweaked to match real aircraft size*

Hello Waynos.

I enjoy the SEAC skins, because they are badly under-represented in any sim out there 😄.

I've noticed one issue about yours. I don't know if it's the question of wrong roughmets being uploaded, or lack of experience with editing them, but your skin in a version just downloaded from the website seems to be lacking any reflectiveness and depth on my PC. It's just dark and flat all-around. See the 1st screenshot.

Just for comparison, I replaced your roughmets with the ones from the other RAF bird presented in this thread and result is lighter and much more "volumetric" - see the 2nd pic. Any chance for a tweak / fix?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

14 hours ago, Art-J said:

Hello Waynos.

I enjoy the SEAC skins, because they are badly under-represented in any sim out there 😄.

I've noticed one issue about yours. I don't know if it's the question of wrong roughmets being uploaded, or lack of experience with editing them, but your skin in a version just downloaded from the website seems to be lacking any reflectiveness and depth on my PC. It's just dark and flat all-around. See the 1st screenshot.

Just for comparison, I replaced your roughmets with the ones from the other RAF bird presented in this thread and result is lighter and much more "volumetric" - see the 2nd pic. Any chance for a tweak / fix?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi Art-J,

Thanks for the download and feedback. I toned down the roughmets and made their transparency very low as I wanted to recreate a matte finish to the aircraft as the research I did on the airframe said that when they were hastily repainted in India, the paint had a matte finish.

I am more than happy to re-upload another version with a polished finish to it.

*Updated roughmets to reflect feedback*

Thanks Art-J and also to Megalax for his help with roughmets.

Many thanks,

Waynos

Edited by Waynos
  • Like 1