DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt livery competition

BIGNEWY

352nd Fighter Squadron SX-B 42-26459 "Butch II"

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315131/

Making this P-47 skin was a really unique and cool challenge for me. Doing some research I found out that the 352nd Fighter Squadron after WW2 was re-designated to the 159th Fighter Squadron who are now flying F-15Cs and will be receiving the F-35A soon. I'm from Florida so I frequently see the 159th Fighter Squadron flying around here so it was a enjoyable project for me knowing the 352nd has direct lineage to the 159th.

Edit: Fixed the Fighter Group markings on the nose and fuselage markings on the inner intercooler outlet doors

republic-p-47d-thunderbolt-butch-ii-42-2

3.png

Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Scr

Edited by BSantos
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, cmigdalski said:

Hey everyone,

Here is my second submission for the contest.

1st Brazilian Fighter Squadron / 1º Grupo de Aviação de Caça - "Blue Two" C2

Screen_210216_171006.jpg

Screen_210216_165613.jpg

Screen_210216_165920.jpg

Screen_210216_165028.jpg

Screen_210216_170158.jpg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315145/

Winner for the Jambock Squadron category. Hands down the best skin available for the Jambocks. 

• Like 1

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

Swiss Air Force

After World War 2, the Swiss Air Force purchased American and Canadian surplus aircrafts like 40 North American AT-16 Harvard IIB and 130 North American P-51D Mustang. Unfortunately, no Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was bought. This skin is a "What if the Swiss Air Force would have bought some Republic P-47 Thunderbolt" and therefore the skin is based on the Swiss AT-16 and P-51 of the same time.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315148/

P47D_Swiss_01.jpg

P47D_Swiss_02.jpg

P47D_Swiss_04.jpg

P47D_Swiss_03.jpg

• Like 3

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

People are mad that I'm uploading my skins all the time to keep up on the user files list! But the truth is I'm nitpicking so hard that I'm actually changing stuff with my two submissions all the time!

Please, guys, I was not doing this on purpose, that's my first time skinning the P-47 and I also made a lot of mistakes with the skins. Just the versions I uploaded yesterday seem correct.

😬

And the day after...

And the day after...

Sorry for that, now it stopped! 🙃

Edited by danperin

USAAF P-47D Thunderbolt, 48th Fighter Group, 493rd Fighter Squadron "Wonderful Winnie", flown by Lt. Col. Donald S. Archer. 

Lt. Col. Donald Sherman Archer (aka RAF_Yank) served in the Army Air Forces/Corps from 1942 till 1963.

Don was born August 30, 1922 in Carp Lake, Michigan to Henry and Lillian Marie Archer. During World War II he served in combat in the 493rd Fighter Squadron, 
48th Fighter Group, Ninth Air Force and completed 89 missions, starting at Utah Beach in France and ending in Germany. 

He was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal and also was decorated by the Belgian government for his fighting above the Battle of the Bulge. 
Later he spent several Air Force years in Peru, Brazil and Nicaragua. 
He graduated from San Jose State University and became the President of Harry L. Murphy Inc. Carpets of San Jose, CA. He married Winifred Graf at the Mission in Carmel, CA. 

This skin is a tribute to Don Archer from his virtual flying friends and colleagues of RAF622 Squadron, he flew with board numbers I7 * L
This skin was ported into DCS at request of his friend and colleague, Jens Voigt (RAF_Loke) as a fitting tribute to Don, his military service and camaraderie in the virtual skies following retirement from active service. 

Link to livery download:   https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/c5a/P-47D_Wonderful_Winnie_v2.rar

Screen_210219_213821.png

Screen_210219_212632.png

Screen_210219_213620.png

Screen_210219_213713.png

DA in middle of pic.jpg

IMG_1542792686373.jpg

Screen_210219_212430.png

21462291_1694171433934430_8587278495181873868_n.jpg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/c5a/P-47D_Wonderful_Winnie_v2.rar

Edited by Sprool
v2 update
  • Like 8

Time for an airshow. I present the Forgotten Thunderbird. A fictional skin for the P-47D based on the early F-84F & G Thunderbirds. Enjoy!

*Updated* Thanks to Barret_g for his help.

Changes:

- Removed the red warning band behind the cockpit (used on jets for turbine failure).

- Updated flags to better represent the Thunderbirds early tours.

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315156/

tb1.jpg

tb2.jpgtb3.jpgtb4.jpgtb5.jpg

Edited by James Bigglesworth
updated images
  • Like 6

Hello Y'all

This is my submission for the contest. Something a little bit more left field.

Racing livery, based on the highly modified P-51 Voodoo Unlimited-class champion of the 2013, 2014 and 2016 Reno Air Races.

Paint has been polished to a nice show-room gloss

Should be available here: DCS USER FILES LINK

screens.jpg

2.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Sierra x117
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, danperin said:

Awesome tribute and work, mate! But i have an observation...The white part on the checker scheme, by the photos, looks they are just cuts directly over the metal, not white paint. 😕

IMG_1542792686373.thumb.jpg.0ea9a665f0f2de91f7f40950ac60639c.jpg

Well spotted, you may be right there, I will work on a revised one to compare in-game - sorted!

Edited by Sprool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danperin said:

People are mad that I'm uploading my skins all the time to keep up on the user files list! But the truth is I'm nitpicking so hard that I'm actually changing stuff with my two submissions all the time!

Please, guys, I was not doing this on purpose, that's my first time skinning the P-47 and I also made a lot of mistakes with the skins. Just the versions I uploaded yesterday seem correct.

😬

Dan,

Same happened to me a while ago. One unofficial template and three officials template updates, added to my 33 P-47 skins makes quite inconvenient on the user files download page. Every time I update them it looks like spamming.

I decided to keep working on my skins and on beginning of March I will make a single update for all 33 liveries. (and no more)

Although I have almost all of them complete, I decided to refrain to update all the time so I do not disturb people.

Take care my friend, and good luck. (The level of the liveries in here is amazing).

Sydy

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sydy said:

Dan,

Same happened to me a while ago. One unofficial template and three officials template updates, added to my 33 P-47 skins makes quite inconvenient on the user files download page. Every time I update them it looks like spamming.

I decided to keep working on my skins and on beginning of March I will make a single update for all 33 liveries. (and no more)

Although I have almost all of them complete, I decided to refrain to update all the time so I do not disturb people.

Take care my friend, and good luck. (The level of the liveries in here is amazing).

Sydy

Very talented people here for sure, Syd!

I’m always updating, no matter how little is the adjustment, because there were some bad mistakes I’ve made in some of the textures, nothing you can notice in general, but I want to deliver the best work as possible. Now I think it’s all sorted.

Apologies for the spamming on the user download area, guys. I’m very new in here. I really didn't know “keeping the files on the top of the download list” was a thing. 😬

Edited by danperin

The F-84 Thunderbird scheme is gorgeous!!!

I don’t mean to nitpick, as I love it as is, but I think (not 100% certain) the vertical red band just aft of the canopy is a “plane of rotation” safety marking that is specific to the F-84.

In the event of a catastrophic failure of the F-84’s jet engine, that red band denotes where the turbine blades would explode out of the fuselage from.

They have those same markings on C-130’s as well, called “prop arcs” letting you know that if the prop fails and you’re in that area, you’re probably gonna get hit by prop blades and debris.

If you were going for a realistic “what if” scheme, the P-47 wouldn’t have that marking as it (obviously) didn’t have a jet engine..... but if you were doing a “homage to the F-84” then that marking is perfectly fine.

Either way, it’s absolutely gorgeous and it makes me wish the P-47 was a real Thunderbird!!!  It’s just too perfect of a fit!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Barrett_g said:

The F-84 Thunderbird scheme is gorgeous!!!

I don’t mean to nitpick, as I love it as is, but I think (not 100% certain) the vertical red band just aft of the canopy is a “plane of rotation” safety marking that is specific to the F-84.

In the event of a catastrophic failure of the F-84’s jet engine, that red band denotes where the turbine blades would explode out of the fuselage from.

They have those same markings on C-130’s as well, called “prop arcs” letting you know that if the prop fails and you’re in that area, you’re probably gonna get hit by prop blades and debris.

If you were going for a realistic “what if” scheme, the P-47 wouldn’t have that marking as it (obviously) didn’t have a jet engine..... but if you were doing a “homage to the F-84” then that marking is perfectly fine.

Either way, it’s absolutely gorgeous and it makes me wish the P-47 was a real Thunderbird!!!  It’s just too perfect of a fit!!!

Thanks Barrett_g. You're spot on. I was curious about the red band and it now makes perfect sense. It appears to be a 'danger zone' for the high pressure stage of the engine.

Regarding my skin, I was actually going for the 'what if' scenario, so thanks for pointing it out. I'll be fixing and re-uploading it.

On another topic, does anyone know what the flags on the fuselage signify? Is it simply the different counties the aircraft has performed in?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, James Bigglesworth said:

Thanks Barrett_g. You're spot on. I was curious about the red band and it now makes perfect sense. It appears to be a 'danger zone' for the high pressure stage of the engine.

Regarding my skin, I was actually going for the 'what if' scenario, so thanks for pointing it out. I'll be fixing and re-uploading it.

On another topic, does anyone know what the flags on the fuselage signify? Is it simply the different counties the aircraft has performed in?

Looks like you’re right, as the Thunderbirds tour other countries, they add flags to their scheme.  I’m guessing the earlier Thunderbirds would have less flags than the current Thunderbirds, as they add more countries to the ever-growing list:

https://www.acc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/200393/thunderbirds-add-finland-performance-to-storied-history/