DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt livery competition

BIGNEWY

Thanks for hosting this competition - we've seen some excellent submissions and it's gonna be tricky to decide 10 out of all of these 😄
Is there an approximate time of when the winners will be announced? I can appreciate it will take a while to go through all the submissions but I can't wait to see the results!

Edited by Spooky32
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Magic Zach said:

With my half hour that I have left, I'll make my submission.
396th Fighter Squadron of the 368th Fighter Group.

This is a general, all purpose livery. 

5.jpg

Great stuff! A skin with utility that is historically accurate!
This is the stuff the multiplayer community wants!

Yes please!

• Like 6

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I just attached download links of my 5 submissions to topics 

Thank you 

ISAAC

Edited by sadjad-vosoul
  • Like 1

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

On 3/2/2021 at 7:45 PM, EL_LEJI said:

My third and last entry for the contest.

P-47D USAF GREEN GENERIC

Fictional skin USAF GREEN generic.

You can change the callsign numbers and letters in the mission editor.

Download link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315339/

1.jpg

Another great historical & generic skin! Perfect for 9th AF based in France.
Yes please ED!!!

• Like 4

On 3/6/2021 at 1:38 AM, Magic Zach said:

Included with the skin:
*CHANGEABLE AIRCRAFT ID LETTER (excluding the C2 squadron designator)
*CHANGEABLE AIRCRAFT SERIAL # (420###)
*CUSTOM REDRAWN AIRCRAFT ID AND # FONT TYPE
*AIRCRAFT ID LETTERS FEATURE BRUSH STROKE WEATHERING

These are critical features... especially for historical missions.  Thanks for this attention to customisation.

• Like 3

Update: my post on page 10 has had its User files link approved, and the post has been edited to include it

• Like 3

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/2/2021 at 8:45 PM, EL_LEJI said:

P-47D USAF GREEN GENERIC

Fictional skin USAF GREEN generic.

You can change the callsign numbers and letters in the mission editor.

Download link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315339/

^^ V.Nice

I've been going through looking for others with adjustable numbers. There are a few, which is really good to see. This is not just critical for the historical missions, but also for multiplayer servers.

• Like 4

On 3/6/2021 at 12:38 AM, Magic Zach said:

With my half hour that I have left, I'll make my submission.
396th Fighter Squadron of the 368th Fighter Group.

This is a general, all purpose livery.  Meaning it can be applied across a broader scale of environments than skins historically decorated for individual pilots.  This scheme is historically appropriate to the subvariant of P-47 represented within DCS, the 47D-30.  At the time of this scheme, the squadron was posted in mid to east France, such as Metz (early January, 1945).

It is compressed to BC3 format.

Included with the skin:
*CHANGEABLE AIRCRAFT ID LETTER (excluding the C2 squadron designator)
*CHANGEABLE AIRCRAFT SERIAL # (420###)
*CUSTOM REDRAWN AIRCRAFT ID AND # FONT TYPE
*AIRCRAFT ID LETTERS FEATURE BRUSH STROKE WEATHERING

(At this time, this skin has been submitted to the UserFiles, however it is still pending approval.  In the meantime, the download is in Google Drive here)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-mu7pFYryA3rYZ3OEbCiSLWlFNqCN6Db?usp=sharing

**LINK IS NOW IN USERFILES: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315411/

6.jpg

dw-396-p47-c2p-austin-d2-356x465.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

front.jpg

2.jpg

dw-396-p47-c2a-d28ra-austin-600x239.jpg

5.jpg

dw-396-p47-c2y-inflt-austin-2-495x292.jpg

w-396-carr-austin-henry-mer.jpg

A generic skin that is historically accurate and allows customizing the identification, used in the theatre of operations available to us in the simulator (France and the air war over the European continent) and not limited to a specific aircraft or individual pilot, but customizable to the player. These are all important factors for multiplayer and the multiplayer community.

Allowing multiple players in multiplayer to use this skin without duplications. Increasing the immersion and quality of multiplayer servers that aims for historical accuracy and authenticity.

Yes please.

Edited by Stuntman
  • Like 3

My channel of airshows, films, documentaries, trailers and flight sim videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv11KUCTp_SB7J-VXFV9peQ

I understand the importance of “generic” skins for multiplayer use... but I’d hate for a bunch of generic skins to win out over some of these truly artistic and beautiful liveries!!!

Maybe Eagle Dynamics can do “Top 3 Fictional” “Top 3 Non-Fixtional” “Top 3 Generic”. This adds up to 9.  After the winners are announced they can put up a poll and we can all vote on the last winner as a “People’s choice.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Barrett_g 

While I do agree that there are some absolutely amazing skins portraying a specific single aircraft, because there are only a few generic skins available at the moment, even in single player these personalized skins limit realism. Your wingman will either have the same highly personalized skin, or that of a completely different FG. 

I do hope that some of both the specific and generic skins make the cut and the generic skins aren’t overlooked! 

Edited by Ketchup
  • Like 2

I agree.  I like generics.  I have strayed away from them mostly due to the default bort numbers usually not looking quite right or having the placement be off for the specific squadron I am trying to replicate.  It is in the works for me to "convert" a livery or two to be able to change the serno and specific aircraft designation letter, but like I said, im not happy with them so far.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barrett_g said:

I understand the importance of “generic” skins for multiplayer use... but I’d hate for a bunch of generic skins to win out over some of these truly artistic and beautiful liveries!!!

Maybe Eagle Dynamics can do “Top 3 Fictional” “Top 3 Non-Fixtional” “Top 3 Generic”. This adds up to 9.  After the winners are announced they can put up a poll and we can all vote on the last winner as a “People’s choice.”

I don't think anyone is asking for all skins to be generic. But we had big problems with the Anton competition when far too many of the skins that won the competition were not generic. This time, we are hoping for 3 or 4 historical and generic ones out of the 10 winners to be selected for inclusion.

Edited by philstyle
  • Like 3

I think we should just let ED make the decision about which skin should be added or not.

This is not intended to be a "multiplayer / campaign / server oriented competition". It's just a skinning competition. So skin should be designed as winner only looking on their quality.

If you want to use some skin that are not designated, you can simply add them into your game. And if you run a server or a mission, it's quite easy to make a skinpack to share with other player. That's what we do on our server. Work well for everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Megalax if “they” is ED... asking artists to create/modify their skins to generic, outside of the competition and without compensation, wouldn’t be reasonable

@JG13Wulf I don’t think asking all the players on a large server like SOW to download a specific skin would really be doable either.  

We need a larger selection of official historical generic skins

Edited by Ketchup
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ketchup said:

@JG13Wulf I don’t think asking all the players on a large server like SOW to download a specific skin would really be doable either.  

If you can make 1 dowload link with 1 pack containing all skin you need, then it's quite possible to share this link on every platform linked to your server.

ED could also add more skins.

Sure, maybe the top-10 glamorous personalised/fictional skins might win the competition, but still add in some the historical/generic skins to actually support people who want to fly WW2 missions, for the campaign builders and for the multiplayer community. I don't see why the P47 needs to be limited to only 11 official skins. Some other modules have huge numbers of skins for all sorts of nations, real or not (e.g. Ka50, Mi-8).

Having extra skin downloads for servers is not effective. There are enough barriers to DCS-WW2 entry already: module purchase, map purchase, mission/campaign build/download, SRS download, etc.. Sure, it is "just" another download, but our experience from trying this (SoW server) is that layer-upon-layer of downloads and installs will kill off participation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JG13Wulf said:

If you can make 1 download link with 1 pack containing all skin you need, then it's quite possible to share this link on every platform linked to your server.

I don't want a circus where some players who have download the skins pack can see then and those who didn't download get other skins.
I also don't want to have to curate and maintain a set of skins which may or may not, at any point become broken or unsupported due to changes / patches or designer whim.
I want a set of ED approved skins that we can rely on with confidence and with 100% adoption by all players.

13 hours ago, Megalax said:

If they wanted generic versions of liveries, they can just ask the artists who made the non generics for them.

thousands of players aren't all going to download custom skin packs, sorry.
this sort of piecemeal pick and mix approach is an un-necessary barrier to participation.

Edited by philstyle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, philstyle said:

I don't want a circus where some players who have download the skins pack can see then and those who didn't download get other skins.
I also don't want to have to curate and maintain a set of skins which may or may not, at any point become broken or unsupported due to changes / patches or designer whim.
I want a set of ED approved skins that we can rely on with confidence and with 100% adoption by all players.

thousands of players aren't all going to download custom skin packs, sorry.
this sort of piecemeal pick and mix approach is an un-necessary barrier to participation.

One solution to this is to make DCS servers linked to a central livery database on ED's servers. Whenever you join a server with skins that you don't already have - it will download them, and when someone else joins the server with a skin that you don't have, again it will download them.

I used to play a racing sim where this was the case, and not being able to see someone elses skin was never an issue -  except skins for that game were about 1-2mb and the skins we deal with today in DCS are a lot bigger.

Most people's connection speeds who play online is fast enough to download most DCS skins in a couple of seconds though so I think it could be viable.

That way no one misses out on other skins on the server. To stop hard drive space getting filled up, the MP skins delete themselves after disconnecting, and if you actually want to keep the same skin you can just download it yourself as normal

Edited by Spooky32
  • Like 2