DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt livery competition

BIGNEWY

50 minutes ago, Spooky32 said:

One solution to this is to make DCS servers linked to a central livery database on ED's servers. Whenever you join a server with skins that you don't already have - it will download them, and when someone else joins the server with a skin that you don't have, again it will download them.

I used to play a racing sim where this was the case, and not being able to see someone elses skin was never an issue -  except skins for that game were about 1-2mb and the skins we deal with today in DCS are a lot bigger.

Most people's connection speeds who play online is fast enough to download most DCS skins in a couple of seconds though so I think it could be viable.

That way no one misses out on other skins on the server. To stop hard drive space getting filled up, the MP skins delete themselves after disconnecting, and if you actually want to keep the same skin you can just download it yourself as normal

A few of the FPS games I play employ a system like this. works well with an updater/ workshop manager like steam has.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

2 hours ago, xvii-Dietrich said:

ED could also add more skins.

Sure, maybe the top-10 glamorous personalised/fictional skins might win the competition, but still add in some the historical/generic skins to actually support people who want to fly WW2 missions, for the campaign builders and for the multiplayer community. I don't see why the P47 needs to be limited to only 11 official skins. Some other modules have huge numbers of skins for all sorts of nations, real or not (e.g. Ka50, Mi-8).

Having extra skin downloads for servers is not effective. There are enough barriers to DCS-WW2 entry already: module purchase, map purchase, mission/campaign build/download, SRS download, etc.. Sure, it is "just" another download, but our experience from trying this (SoW server) is that layer-upon-layer of downloads and installs will kill off participation.

With 130 mo per P47 skin, I don't want to have tons of them too. Or ask more ED to make a system to have multiple skins sharing same files instead of 1 skins per description.lua.

I requested this before multiple times. Except by "modding" a bit, there is no way to do so. Here is the post where I resquest this for the last time. 

1 hour ago, Spooky32 said:

One solution to this is to make DCS servers linked to a central livery database on ED's servers. Whenever you join a server with skins that you don't already have - it will download them, and when someone else joins the server with a skin that you don't have, again it will download them.

I used to play a racing sim where this was the case, and not being able to see someone elses skin was never an issue -  except skins for that game were about 1-2mb and the skins we deal with today in DCS are a lot bigger.

Most people's connection speeds who play online is fast enough to download most DCS skins in a couple of seconds though so I think it could be viable.

That way no one misses out on other skins on the server. To stop hard drive space getting filled up, the MP skins delete themselves after disconnecting, and if you actually want to keep the same skin you can just download it yourself as normal

I think it's a bad idea as most people but not all people have good connection.
You would kill your server by using skins.

If you want to play DCS, it's not in 10 - 20 - 30 minutes after Gb of skins have been downloaded.

Edited by JG13Wulf
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, philstyle said:

thousands of players aren't all going to download custom skin packs, sorry.
this sort of piecemeal pick and mix approach is an un-necessary barrier to participation.

I was speaking of the devs, not the users. If the devs want generics included in the game then the devs can ask for generics from the artists that win the competition. I'll use more words next time.

15 hours ago, Ketchup said:

@Megalax if “they” is ED... asking artists to create/modify their skins to generic, outside of the competition and without compensation, wouldn’t be reasonable

Obviously there would be some stipulations.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

It seems to me that the main criterion for victory should be the complexity of the drawn skin. Let me explain: the time taken to create a realistic skin is 10 hours (for example), and not a realistic skin for 60 hours (for example). Who should be the winner in this case? Do not forget that people from many countries play in DСS and they want to see the skin of their country in the game.

• Like 1

Honestly the criteria needs to be:

1. Neatness & cleanliness (is this a skin you would include in a full price industry leading product you hand to your paying customer, is it polished, appropriate and clean?)

2. Appropriate content - does this skin represent themes and content relevant to the aircraft module in question, and the PC sim customer demographics aligned interests as hobbyists in a general sense (does it speak to the PC sim customer broadly speaking)?

3. Historic accuracy - the vast majority of paying customers expect their module to arrive with a relatively wide selection of historically accurate/realistic skins which are both recognizable and highly polished. The "out of the box" experience for the first time user is the most important component in the sales and customer retention process, so expectations need to be met in this regard first and foremost. Fictional skins are a secondary concern, but users do expect some - for example, a national insignia for their home country because of the novelty found here (such as the US Army livery included by ED for the Ka-50). 

Outside of that, novelty skins really don't have a home being released stock with a module out of the box because it doesn't check any of those boxes for expected out of box experience; users do frequently get very excited about novelty skins as evidenced by the User Files library, containing tens of thousands of them, BUT the customer goes to user files to find them - its a destination for people who do want that, not an expected stock feature on purchase.

To sum up, I just articulated why my two submissions can't and won't win the livery competition LOL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's funny to see some of us trying to create rules after the contest is finished. Gents, let the organizers judge. I am sure they had their rules set since the beginning. 

It's a waste of energy to be saying "do this" or "do that"...

Let it go and life is what it is... 😉

They know how to judge their needs much better than us.

my two cents, anyway...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sydy said:

It's funny to see some of us trying to create rules after the contest is finished. Gents, let the organizers judge. I am sure they had their rules set since the beginning. 

It's a waste of energy to be saying "do this" or "do that"...

Let it go and life is what it is... 😉

They know how to judge their needs much better than us.

my two cents, anyway...

Agree 100%! Whatever the results may be and whatever life throws at you, it is what it is, just let it be

• Like 4

This is a nice contest in my humbly opinion, there are liveries/skins for all tastes and for all porpouses, and very very great ones, I downloaded one or two os every participant, great game great community great artist here, and liveries are for free......mmmmm.

good luck all the artist. and again thanks for the work, let it be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team

Hi all

It was not an easy task to pick the 10 winners with so many great submissions, but we now have that list ready.

We will be announcing the winners soon. 

thank you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I said it from the beginning,  there are no losers on this one.  The P-47 community got a lot of attention, and a lot of talented livery makers increased the pool of skins 30 fold.  It was good seeing the work done out there.  I believe it influenced the way the user files are updated as well, which is a welcomed change. I was going to buy the Mosquito either way.  Good luck everyone. Haha

Edited by Jumper77A
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team

Thank you to everyone who participated in the competition, we have our winners below, we wish we could have picked more there was so many great submissions. 

Winners please DM me with your DCS account name and email. 

Thank you

Mike Busutil: WarChief

MateusOV: Commemorative Livery Big Bird II

Sydy: 1st Brazilian Ftr Sq-Jambock A1

danperin: 61st FS 8th AF HV-Z

Waynos: RAF Thunderbolt

Giskvoosk: Chief Ski-U-Mah

EL_LEJI: 5th Emergency Rescue Squadron

BoNidle: The Trojan Warhorse

Latart: Lend-Lease

Flanker: P-47 USSR Air Force ( gray - blue )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Oh yes baby!! Thank you so much ED and @BIGNEWY!

Congratulations everyone! Winning or not we've all had fun and that's what matters, also we have tons of liveries now XD

I gotta say, I wasn't quite expecting to win with so many gorgeous liveries for you guys to choose from, but I'm glad I did. I'm also glad there'll be another Brazilian livery on the game 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Well, good Lord! I don't have to go grovelling to the Evil One for permission to buy now.

Very gratifying. Thank you.

Well done to all who took part.

Some real talent out there.....so lets see more P-47's on User Files chaps.

• Thanks 4

But I used your skin as reference just at the very beginning, mate. Don't get it 🤨

P.S.: Crazy that I even tried to help you about the colors and sending you the USAAF logo with light blue contour. Go compare our .dds files pixel by pixel. 😉

Actually, I will share this USAAF logo here for everybody to use since it's hard to get those intercooler ports correctly!

Initially just Santus would have access to that file to help him with JoyBoy, but since the contest just finished and he never answered my PM, until now...

Here it goes, hope it help you guys with future projects! 

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_11.png

Screenshot_13.png

Screenshot_12.png

USAAF_logo_Variant_P-47D.zip

Edited by danperin