Is The AIM-9 Tutorial Broken?

Johnny Dioxin

Or maybe all the systems are not yet in the sim?

Since learning the start-up at launch of the module I've not touched it until now. I am going through the tutorial missions and today it was time for the AIM-9 tute.

I had a number of issues:

- I was unable to lock or acquire the target on the radar - it was there to see, but couldn't actually acquire it.

- There was no DLZ in the HUD or on the radar after the missile auto-locked itself onto the target.

- The missile seemed to lock on very early - long before being within range ( launched the missile when it had already locked on, as seen in the HUD and heard via the tone, when the DLZ didn't show and it ran out of juice and plummeted to earth).

- The missile fell to ground - shouldn't it self-destruct at some point? It landed in a built up area and for this reason alone, but also from memory on the theory I think it should kill itself long before that?

-after destroying the first MiG-25 (and I waited until I almost ran into it to see if the DLZ would appear) I couldn't spot another one at all. There is supposed to be one coming at me for a head-on shot. Once I had been told what the situation was, I didn't hear from the virtual instructor again.

I'm on the current release version.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

No takers? OK. It would be nice to be able to learn this aircraft - not done that in a really intense way since the Ka-50, but I can't be bothered with just guessing if something is right, bugged or I did something wrong, so I guess it's back to the Shark.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

3 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

No takers? OK. It would be nice to be able to learn this aircraft - not done that in a really intense way since the Ka-50, but I can't be bothered with just guessing if something is right, bugged or I did something wrong, so I guess it's back to the Shark.

I think the reason for why you're not seeing answers is that you've posted an aircraft question in the missions and campaign section. I would recommend you to re-post it in under the main F-16 tab. Have a safe flight!