Fleet Air Arm - Royal Navy Corsair Service

Krupi

• 3 weeks later...

Early models "Bouncy oleo" was interesting. Also, "land 2-3 knots over stall speed", really? Same thing with Seafire's described by same series. I'd thought margins would've been better, at least for purpose built CV Corsair's.

Oh, was commenting on part II.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

On 2/21/2021 at 7:48 PM, Cunctator said:

Part 2 is up: F4U Corsair: Taming the beast

WW2 carrier landing videos are so scary...

I assume if after launch you detect a problem then you’re putting it down in the drink. The deck’s full, so unless you can fly round until your mates have launched then you’re going for a swim...?

Indeed. I've just recently finished the memoirs of Norman Hanson, CO of No 1833 Squadron during the last year of the war. At least half of their loses and multiple deaths could have been avoided with angled flight decks. it must have been scary to cut the throttle land aboard a carrier with a squadron worth of airplanes and the crash barrier in front of you.

• 1 year later...

The Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm was tasked with keeping the German battleship Tirpitz tied up in its fjord in northern Norway during 1944 as the Russian convoys scrambled past on their way to Murmansk. Between April and August, a series of aircraft carrier strikes - Tungsten, Mascot and Goodwood - helped deal just enough damage to keep the last Nazi battleship out of action before Barnes Wallis' Tallboy bombs were ready to deal the final blow. While the attacks represented the first major operational deployment of the Fairey Barracuda torpedo-dive bomber, it was also among the first actions involving the F4U Corsair and F6F Hellcat in Fleet Air Arm service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7YyDajavgk

On 2/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, Cunctator said:

Indeed. I've just recently finished the memoirs of Norman Hanson, CO of No 1833 Squadron during the last year of the war. At least half of their loses and multiple deaths could have been avoided with angled flight decks. it must have been scary to cut the throttle land aboard a carrier with a squadron worth of airplanes and the crash barrier in front of you.

Safer but also preventing damage to the aircraft also.

WW2 aircraft were relatively cheap by modern standards, pushing a few over the side every trip was sustainable and expected. You do that regularly with FA-18s or god forbid F35s and the bean counters will have an aneurism… 

Although s**t still does happen…