What gpu do you reccomend for VR?

So I have a gtx 1080.

And it runs VR. But it absolutely chugs. With me having to crank down the graphics quality to minimum to get smooth fps.

Which is not a pleasant experience. The rest of my machine is pretty solid. But I feel like my gpu is letting me down.

The problem is all the 3080/3090 gpus are basically out of stock/marked up to hell.

Yeah , i just replaced the 1070 that fed my Rift S for a year , and a CV1 before that . All i can say is the new gpu will be worth it when you get there .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have GTX 1080.  Smooth 45fps in VR even at low level.  Drops to 30fps only over heavy city like Beirut.  Your issue might be something else.
I agree. Been getting along with my gtx 1060 in vr. Held back from getting syria map because of my gpu but tried Syria map in vr during the dcs free play window and instantly bought the map.

I must say it is not all pretty but at least playable with most eye candy settings turned off.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The problem is all the 3080/3090 gpus are basically out of stock/marked up to hell.

The recently released gpus from amd and nvidia would be a considerable upgrade for vr experience but for the price and stock level right now as you mentioned.

Most like me are just waiting for things to simmer down if they ever does before getting a new gpu. You can still get by with your gtx 1080.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

+1 Wait out this manufacturing shortage, then go for as much VRAM as you can afford.  Make sure your settings are set such that your card does not use ANY Shared GPU memory.  Things get choppy when windows starts copying things between Shared GPU and Dedicated GPU memory.  I have 11GB on my 1080Ti, but I have to turn down the textures to get Syria running smooth.  I'm sticking to PG and Caucasus until I can upgrade.

I'm happy with my GTX 1080 and Rift S combo for performance, and will look to get a RTX 3070 or 3080 with maybe a Reverb G2 when they're more available and more sensibly priced.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

I fly these settings all day in 4k (2d) without any stutters because you don't need AA or AF at 4k.  The higher the resolution, the less you need AA and AF, and this frees up huge amounts of frames per second.  If you absolutely can't live without AA, FXAA in the Nvidia control panel is an inexpensive AA that Nvidia can add AFTER DCS is finished rendering.  You have to use Alt+printscrn to capture this affect.  This is the least performance intensive AA you can get.  The other nice thing about these settings is that you can turn on SSLR.  SSLR together with AA is a big performance hog.  But, SSLR by itself makes the lighting so much nicer. 

My settings.PNG

On 2/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, jonatron5 said:

So I have a gtx 1080.

And it runs VR. But it absolutely chugs. With me having to crank down the graphics quality to minimum to get smooth fps.

Which is not a pleasant experience. The rest of my machine is pretty solid. But I feel like my gpu is letting me down.

For VR... Well, the answer you expect 🙂

Wait it out for that RTX 3090. It'll be a pain in your arse to wait for, and a pain in the wallet to pay for, but that'll be it. Then you can just run the dang sim with a minimum of BS. I'd consider that 1080 you have to be marginal for DCS, and woefully inadequate for VR.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey
  • Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I now have a 2060 Super replaced by a 3090... and to be honest... with the G2 I can not rally see a big difference. Also in speed. If I add more qualitäy options because of the old graphics code the framerate also drops. If it drops to 19 or with the 3090 to 21 on the ground does not really matter. 

I am a little bit disappointed about the performance to be honest... hope this might change in future.

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

Hello,

My advice is :

- Try with a 1080ti used card, or 2080ti used card

My experience about DVS VR is :

- you need a CPU at 4.5 ghz minimum ( mine is and old i5 2500k overcloked)

- you need a good motherboad ( to allow oervclock as mentionned )

- you need good DDR and 32 GB minimm (  Cache latency and Frequency Ratio  2400 CL10 for me )

- you need good GPU with quick VRAM and quantity ( i upgraded to a customized 1080ti )

- you need SSD

- nothing running on windows and a lot of tweak has to be done with last patches ( i stayed in 1803 version because of that... )

With those upgrade i done, my VR Experience is now good ( 90hz in a rift CV1 most of the time since last DCS patch, 45Hz if MSAA * 2 is setted)

Edited by fab.13

I can second buying a used 2080ti if you can find one at the right price. I love mine. My brother has a MSI 3070 Suprim and in DCS my 2080ti is a little better. The 3070 fps dips when over Dubai low, my 2080ti holds its refresh rate. Probably look for an EVGA one boxed with some warranty left.

Edited by Bossco82

On 2/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, jonatron5 said:

So I have a gtx 1080.

I had a 2080ti that I got to run at 70fps on average or so in MP DCS (better offline). I now have a 3090 that more or less runs 70fps, but with slightly higher eye candy. The limiting factor in both cases is the CPU. The one spot the 3090 is good in so far is that I've never seen DCS actually fill the VRAM up. Usually ~15gb.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Nvidia is probably the better option for VR.  VRAM is important, but allocated (which is what we see) is not the same as used.  Go by performance benchmarks when deciding one what to get.  In my case I got AMD because that's what is available.  

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

On 2/5/2021 at 8:22 PM, jonatron5 said:

So I have a gtx 1080.

It would have help to know which CPU you have, we don't even know if you have 8 or 11GTB of VRAM and it makes a difference, mine has 11GB and run VR just fine at reasonable settings using Afterburner (without touching the voltage), what matters isn't really the GPU but the bound between the RAM/CPU/GPU.

You got more than one bus that can create a bottleneck and when we see that some people have more than 10% of it and wonder why their PC performance is low it's obvious some doesn't care optimizing their system in the first place.

Best example I can give you, I gained at all levels including graphics (although marginal) and combined only by bounding the best RAM to my Ryzen 5600X:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/252271-amd-5000-series-cpu-performance-in-dcs/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-4552794

>>>>>>

Graphics score: 6 496 vs 6 583. +1.33%

Physics score: 23 894 vs 25 339. + 6.04%

Combined score: 3 605 vs 3 654. + 1.35%.

>>>>>>

As you can see, I could easily have chosen to splash dosh on a water cooled AMD 6800 only to find out that it belong to the average which has a 5% headroom for Over Clocking, but instead I have RAM which gives me more oooomph for less money (although there is a premium for this kind of RAM) but got my result without O.Cing my system.

So my tip would be: Optimizing your system by where it all starts, that would be the CPU/RAM/GPU in the order, if you have a PCIe3 motherboard for Intel/NVIDIA or AMD stick with the same for best bound, because they both work at optimizing their drivers for this purpose, using PCIe3/4 and memory bandwidth, that's where the bottlenecks are.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Gotta update my post to say that my 6800xt is absolutely smoking my Rift S . I couldn't be happier with the upgrade from a 1070 . 

One setting i had forgotten about was that hidden Oculus graphics quality/performance option . I had previously set it for the 1070 , and a Mudspike post inspired me to revisit it . Wow .

Smooth , sharp graphics now have taken DCS to the next level .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

People have mitigated results with their RADEON 6000, and it has little to do with AMD, in fact, it's more often depending on the manufacturer and their drivers.

Some have excellent results with their GPU some doesn't but all in all, if people chose to go for a 6800 or 6800 XT it's far from being a bad choice in the first place, it will all depend on how their system is set up, including O.S memory management, storage space and speed, RAM-to-CPU bound (mine gave me a 1.33% better GPU score in 3D Mark Pro at 4K/MSAA x 2).

Consider this: The GPUs are brand new, production, quality control and distribution are affected by the pandemic so we really know too little about the real potential of the AMD RADEON GPUs right now, which isn't going to stop me purchasing a 6800, not an XT but a simple 6800, since I prep my system with optimisation before getting one it should compensate a little for the difference in raw performances.

When we watch videos on a GPU X or Y we have most of the time little idea what level of optimization their benches are at, if you work at your system optimisation from the root, RAM, CPU you'll always have better performances from your GPU, even before taking memory buses increase with Smart Access Memory, the CPUs have been accessing VRAM for a while and the Zen 3 does it even better.

This mean that once optimized with a proper RAM bound, the CPU controller will not throttle back anything and your GPU will work better as well, I'm with AMD now, it could have been Intel, I'll stick with an AMD build for the GPU.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.