[NO BUG] Jerky HUD?

dporter22

I was excited to fly the F-14 during the free trial and expected to love it and buy it, but the jerkiness(?) of the HUD is so distracting that I can't enjoy the airplane.  Rather than presenting a smooth display like on all the other DCS aircraft, the F-14 HUD lines step up/down as the airplane is maneuvering and the horizon line is constantly correcting itself back to the horizon.

If this is a bug, is there a fix?  If not, I'm surprised the HUD was designed to be so "not smooth".  I know it was 1970s technology, but so was the A-10 and F-16 and those HUDs are very fluid.

Edited by IronMike

vor 5 Stunden schrieb dporter22:

I know it was 1970s technology, but so was the A-10 and F-16 and those HUDs are very fluid.

The F-14 is mostly even older 1960's technology, developed almost a decade before the F-16 (Grumman got the contract in 1966). Later model Tomcats like the upgraded F-14B and the D did have much better Heads-up-Displays, but these are not in the game (and won't be unless the relevant documents are de-cassified).

Edited by Jayhawk1971

2 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Ok, so just to clarify so I don't keep trying to find a fix, the pitch ladder is supposed to jump up and down as the aircraft is maneuvering rather than move smoothly and fluidly?

If you're stuck in landing mode, it is kind of jerky.  As TLTeo said, switch to A/A, or A/G, or Cruise and it's smooth.

Edited by Quid

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

Because unlike more modern planes, in the Tomcat the HUD is not really part of the main flying instruments, but rather it's an aid for weapons employment and (to a lesser extent) navigation. For maneuvering, you should reference the instrument gauges and/or VDI instead. Some pilots would just turn the HUD off entirely during landing.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:17 PM, dporter22 said:

If this is a bug, is there a fix?

Check youtube DCS Tomcat videos to make sure you see the same behavior of the HUD. Maybe it's different in your case and we can't see the same.

It put me off at first too but it never really bothered me much during flight. It grew on me and I learned to love it like every other detail of the Tomcat :thumbup:

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 5:01 PM, dporter22 said:

Ok, so just to clarify so I don't keep trying to find a fix, the pitch ladder is supposed to jump up and down as the aircraft is maneuvering rather than move smoothly and fluidly?

"Jump up and down" is a little much, but it certainly does not move as smoothly as more modern HUDs. You can visibly see the graduations of pitch and AOA it reports in T/O and Landing.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

56 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

From what I've gathered the real one was even worse - especially in landing mode. It's primarily meant for weapon employment - the primary attitude indicator is the VDI.

Yeah, take a look at this:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EDIT: the refresh rate matches irl precisely, I got it mixed up with some of our earliest builds, that had it too slow and thus created nausea. Once we had adjusted it to the actual rate, that effect was gone.
-----------

I can assure you, 2 days in you wont even notice it anymore.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• IronMike changed the title to [NO BUG] Jerky HUD?
13 hours ago, draconus said:

Why would you do that in the sim?

@draconus I went back and double checked, to give you a better explanation, and because Grover immediately corrected me, since he made that. At the very early build, way way early on development, we had the refresh rate actually too low. What happend then, was that the refresh rate would suggest very low frame rates to the eye, mixed with the normal frame rates, which would cause nausea. However, @Super Grover corrected it to the actual, real life refresh rate, which got rid of that issue. It is so long ago, that I got it mixed up a little. It is indeed the precise irl refresh rate of the hud. 🙂

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/