Silence wingman contact callouts

This is more of how to than a mod because what everyone wants to hear and disable would be different.

If you're like me, then you're tired of your wingman calling out every ground unit on the battlefield.  Below is how you turn it off.

/Scripts/Speech/common_events.lua

Starting from Line 205 is all the Wingman radio messages.  Just commenting each line with -- will disable that specific messages.  For example, changing line 218 from this

[Message.wMsgWingmenContact] = { _('contact'), 'contact' },

To this

--[Message.wMsgWingmenContact] = { _('contact'), 'contact' },

Will disable enemy ground unit contact callouts.

What you want to disable and keep is up to you.  I personally disabled all the "bandit", "SAM launch", and "engaged defensive" messages too.  But kept "Mud spike"

Also further down from line 451 is AWACS messages.  I disabled "BRA" callouts as they get too repetitive.  But kept "pop-up-group" messages.  I just need him to tell me once.

Doesn't seem to affect IC Check.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 7 months later...

@Taz1004  Sorry to bump this topic but I find it very interesting and, unfortunately, nowadays it doesnt seem to work?  

I am having a blast in single player with DCS : Liberation but I get so much annoyed by the AI wingman contact calls (repeatedly...) 

I tried your solution but even if I put -- in front of the relevant lines in the common_events.lua file my wingman still blasts his calls non-stop?

any advice?  Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

4 hours ago, JEFX said:

@Taz1004  Sorry to bump this topic but I find it very interesting and, unfortunately, nowadays it doesnt seem to work?  

I am having a blast in single player with DCS : Liberation but I get so much annoyed by the AI wingman contact calls (repeatedly...) 

I tried your solution but even if I put -- in front of the relevant lines in the common_events.lua file my wingman still blasts his calls non-stop?

any advice?  Thanks

It still works for me.  I know it doesn't work with dedicated sound library like Supercarrier ATC sounds.  Maybe Liberation has its own sound library, I haven't played with Liberation for a while.  Have you tried it without Liberation?  Just make a single player mission with a wingman and bunch of SAM.

If it works without Liberation, might wanna contact its developer.

ah... that is possible, because I noticed with my single players experiment missions this morning that the Wingman did not report air contacts all the time like in Liberation but it did, yes, for SAM for example... even when it had himself shot a HARM towards it, a second before impact it 'discovered' a contact (and it was the very same SAM that was about to get smashed by himself)...  strange... will take a look at it in Liberation and single player again... thanks

by the way do you know how to contact them (who?), I would have several suggestions for them... I tried and looked through the github website but I am not sure how to proceed to contact the right person?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Taz1004 OK, just made an experiment in a simple single player mission and, you are right, the calls ARE silenced (great)... except for one  call at mission startup (dont ask me why...), neither air nor ground targets are called with the solution you gave... now I will try in Liberation...

stay tuned...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Were you able to find the files to  modify Liberation? They claim they have no voice over files. Here's their discord if you are still looking for answers.

https://discord.gg/qFFg3GkA

On 12/30/2021 at 9:09 PM, JEFX said:

shit... you were right, they still call the contacts (forever) in DCS: Liberation...  'Contact bearing 230 for 100'  how the fuck do they see contacts at 100 miles...

So... I will try and join the people of Liberation, although I have no idea how...

OK  I found on github, I will open an issue

Were you able to find the files to  modify Liberation? They claim they have no voice over files. Here's their discord if you are still looking for answers.

https://discord.gg/qFFg3GkA

No, but someone else (Airbaba) pointed me to another simple workaround: before launching the mission in DCS' ME, one can assign the proper options for our OWN flight for wingman reactions in ADVANCED WAYPOINT ACTIONS. see here:

Edited by JEFX
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...