Reverb G2 black screen

AlpineGTA

10 minutes ago, zildac said:

I phoned through to HP support and explained the issue, however there is the possibility that they'll want the old one back, which they did last time. This wasn't an issue as the cable was shot and didn't work at all however this one isn't quite properly broken yet so it would be good to have a "warm standby" 🙂

Ok thanks I will just keep pluggin and hope mine stays in good shape.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That's what I've been thinking, due to the stiffness of the cable, I was wondering if they are prone to breaking internally with constant flexing.

The first new cable they sent to me they didn't ask for the old cable back, they said they didn't consider it a returnable part or something. I was offered a third cable but I opted to send the whole headset back this time, to get that checked out too, just to be sure. I don't know whether it was just a bit of clutching at straws but the customer service rep thought there was a possibility of a fault with the headset shorting out the cables. Whos know, I just hope I get a working headset back...

In the meantime, I've actually ordered some parts to upgrade my PC. It's due an upgrade anyway, and even though it was working, the first customer service rep I spoke to the first time it broke was sceptical that it should even work on my older PC architecture. 

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

That's what I've been thinking, due to the stiffness of the cable, I was wondering if they are prone to breaking internally with constant flexing.

The first new cable they sent to me they didn't ask for the old cable back, they said they didn't consider it a returnable part or something. I was offered a third cable but I opted to send the whole headset back this time, to get that checked out too, just to be sure. I don't know whether it was just a bit of clutching at straws but the customer service rep thought there was a possibility of a fault with the headset shorting out the cables. Whos know, I just hope I get a working headset back...

In the meantime, I've actually ordered some parts to upgrade my PC. It's due an upgrade anyway, and even though it was working, the first customer service rep I spoke to the first time it broke was sceptical that it should even work on my older PC architecture. 

I actually did opt for a swap out HMD the first time the issue occured (back in December) they sent it and still no joy, which is when I went the cable route. New cable was sent around Feb this year and both my old HMD and the new one worked fine. Just by way of interest the replacement HMD had awful alignment. For example in spy glass view I was boss eyed using the new unit (I'm aware of the WMR cross eye tool, but it's a real faff and really shouldn't be needed). With the old HMD no cross eye at all. So i have been using the old unit...

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

You didn't have to send your old HMD back? They just sent you a new one? I've had to send mine back and wait for them to receive it before they will send out the replacement. I also sent it with all the USB and power cables, as the instructions in the return box requested, so I hope they send those back with the replacement HMD too.

I'm a bit worried now. I had no issue with the lenses on my original HMD so I hope I don't get a duffer replacement.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

You didn't have to send your old HMD back? They just sent you a new one? I've had to send mine back and wait for them to receive it before they will send out the replacement. I also sent it with all the USB and power cables, as the instructions in the return box requested, so I hope they send those back with the replacement HMD too.

I'm a bit worried now. I had no issue with the lenses on my original HMD so I hope I don't get a duffer replacement.

Well I had quite a long wait due to stock shortage, and they said they'd send the new and for me to return the RMA unit once I received the replacement. They haven't "asked" for it back yet 🤐

The difference in alignment between my original unit (fine) and the replacement was huge. Of course only in DCS. Alyx etc fine on both units.

And as a few others have stated the new HMD turned up with no earphones so they needed to be swapped out too.

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what they send me and ask them for anything that's missing.

Edit: It's just occurred to me, this is not specifically a DCS VR bug, it should probably be in the general VR section.

Edited by AlpineGTA
Wrong forum section
  • Like 1

My culprit could well have been my antivirus rather than my G2 cable.

Fired up DCS... tracking became erratic ...i.e shifting all the time and had a brief black screen.  Tried a lot of things (unplug / uncoil cable / restart etc) nothing would do.

Ended up closing the antivirus (bullguard in my case) and it all came back to normal.   Hopefully not a one off 🙏

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

• 3 months later...

Shifting issue with the G2 is casused when you have an reflective surface(such as an glass of water) near or in fron nof the headset.

Odely this just happens in DCS..

TM Warthog, Virpil warbrd base, TM TPR, TM Cougar MFD.

i9 9900k, GTX1080, 32GB/3200Mhz, 960GB M.2 NVMe, Oculus Rift S.

Contact HP Business Support and request the replacement of your current cable to the latest revision of cable

#1. Part Number: M52188-001

Part Description: SPS-CA ACTIVE 6M BLACK /W SWITCH

This is larger and has a power switch, and 'may' help to resolve your issue 🙂

Photo of both cables (larger one being the newer revision of cable)

Edited by Dodge

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

Ho support constumer it's a very shame here in Italy.. I called for a month and they only let me lose time.. Lucky me that I buy it from amazon and right now I have a 3th vr headset new in replacement for free (it s the cable). Amazon know this.. Hp don't.. 😑

After struggling with black screen that came after the headset got a proper operating temperature(after 5 - 10 minutes of use), and which lasted a total of 2 to 30 seconds. Have I tried everything on this thread, and dozens outside this forum. After several days I managed to fix my black screen issue(and no, this is not the previous volume issue).

After trying:
Different USB 3.0 ports
Changed the order of the USB connectors on the motherboard.
Different reinstallations of different versions of GPU and USB drivers.
Win updates.
New cable strips on the headset.
Stretched the cable and made sure there was no damage and that there were no coils after laying it from me.
Fireware updates of the headset.
Different chipset versions.
And much more.....

I solved the problem, after removing the cable that is plugged into the headset itself (make sure that the power supply is not connected), and reconnected it ..

Suspect that the fault is in the actual socket that goes into the headset. Maybe moisture has settled there, or the contact wears out with time and all movements and leads to a bad contact point, in a way so that the headset gets too little power through the contact surface of the pin.

Maybe this is the same problem you guys are struggling with....

• Thanks 1

I've had mine for about 5 days now, its been about six or seven hours of breathtaking gameplay segmented by about eighteen hours of pure frustration. When its working its amazing, but I've been having all the audio, desyncing and blank screen issues everyone else have been having.

My audio problem was fixed by taking off the ear pieces and reinstalling them making sure the connectors are making good contact and making sure the hold down screw is tight, this seems to have taken care of the audio issue.

I only seem to have sync issues/ Black Screen issues when playing online, I am able to play offline just fine it seems. I'm going to try the cable update and see if that fixes my issues. 

One other issue I am having, Not sure if its related, is If I try and use the head pointing + to operate the key pad on the UFC in the F-16 or in the F-14's Sidewinder cooling & missile prep, the VR will D-sync. But if u use the controllers, I am able to push the buttons without issue.

Do you get black screens in 60 Hz. I did not get black screens when I lower the frequency to 60 Hz, in Win controlpanel/Mixed reality.
It hurt in the eyes to play at 60 Hz. But I could play multiplayer once again..

I have order a new cable, just as an backup.. I do not want to touch the socket/cabel again before i get the new..

On 7/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, retlaw said:
Do you get black screens in 60 Hz. I did not get black screens when I lower the frequency to 60 Hz, in Win controlpanel/Mixed reality.
It hurt in the eyes to play at 60 Hz. But I could play multiplayer once again..

I have order a new cable, just as an backup.. I do not want to touch the socket/cabel again before i get the new..

There's no need to order a separate cable but get it exchanged under warranty for the latest revision of cable.

Contact (call) HP Business Support and request the replacement of your current cable to the latest revision of cable (under warranty)

Explicitly ask for:
Part Number: M52188-001

This is larger and has a power switch, and 'may' resolve your issue(s) 🙂

Photo of both cables (larger one being the newer revision of cable)

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 4:10 PM, Dodge said:

There's no need to order a separate cable but get it exchanged under warranty for the latest revision of cable.

Contact (call) HP Business Support and request the replacement of your current cable to the latest revision of cable (under warranty)

Explicitly ask for:
Part Number: M52188-001

This is larger and has a power switch, and 'may' resolve your issue(s) 🙂

Photo of both cables (larger one being the newer revision of cable)

Called SERVICE and they claim this replacement is ONLY FOR AMD systems

Called SERVICE and they claim the larger replacement cable is ONLY FOR AMD systems

Called SERVICE and they claim this replacement is ONLY FOR AMD systems

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill

SYSTEM:

Processor - Intel® Core i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3600MHz water-cooled

Installed memory (RAM) - 32.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 10 & DCS on SSD

Video Card - water-cooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Internet: Cable 200Mbps 12Mbps

I'm aware of Intel users being able to warranty exchange their cable. A direct friend of mine certainly has done this (UK based).

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

On 9/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, skypickle said:

I have the same problem and solve it by removing the cable from the headset and reinserting it. That connection is finicky and any tension or jiggling of it causes the headset to lose sync

I also experience this occurring with mine.

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

• 6 months later...

I have this problem only in DCS. In the other VR flight sim i've never had this problem. Had my Reverb G2 last july, worked fine but couple months ago had my first blackout, restarted my PC and thought that fixed it but now i have them all the time. Just tried to play the AH-64 cold startup training mission and blacked out like +10 times during that. So the game is pretty much unplayable for me. And i have no idea how to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem in DCS.  I do not know what to do. I can fly for hours and everything is ok, but on tuff landings screens are going black for several seconds one after another with about 40 percent chance... 

Any ideas please? 

Edited by iyhan_spb

i7 13700K,  DDR5 32Gb, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC, Pico 4 VR