There are flights in DCS that are unforgettable

DutchCoolHand

This week I upgraded my CPU to a 5600x and it helped with the frame rate of my Quest 2 I got a month ago. This afternoon I flew a Case III in the F-18 onto the Super Carrier. I was successful on the third try. First 2 ended with me hitting the end of the carrier.

With Quest2 I now have the clarity and image quality to make it feel I am there. After I came to a stop, looked towards the superstructure, I saw the deck crew, the lights on the superstructure together with the parked planes. It was amazing, it was the closest I will ever come to experiencing being on a carrier. 

I know there are many problems that need to be resolved but it is great to fly DCS.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Agreed.  I'm glad this technology is available during my lifetime.  It helps satisfy, at least to some extent, lifelong dreams for some of us.  I tell my kids that the word amazing is  ridiculously overused.  "My lunch was amazing" ... no it wasn't, you ate a bagel, I don't care how well that bagel was made, it did not come anywhere close to "amazing" you.  Since everyone says it for every little thing, I've really grown to hate the word.

Yet, grabbing the third wire at sunset after flying a decent ICLS approach while the LSO is screaming "power!", capping off a flight that began with the yellowshirts accurately guiding me onto the cat shuttle ... amazing is the only appropriate word for it.  The other day I was flying over the Black Sea, the sun was settings, and it was just breathtaking.  I called the whole family over to see it, and it was all "ooohs" and "aaaahs".  I've only been using it for about 15 months, and it still amazes me every day.

DCS scratches a mental itch that for the vast majority of my life went un-scratched.  At least it wasn't scratched this well.  I think I've gotten more enjoyment out of DCS than any other single piece of software.  The complexity is mind-bending, and there are going to be hiccups with simulations of this level of detail, but personally I could not be more impressed with what ED has done.   I'd consider it a masterpiece.  Especially when talking about mods like Supercarrier, F/A-18, A-10 and Ka-50. DCS is in an elite and rare class of applications that are potentially life-altering.   Heck, DCS is the only reason Lua is on my resume'.

• Like 15

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Like you said Rex, the complexity is what makes this different. I have flown the F18 for 2 years on an off. Never did a case III before. I had to pause the flight several times to look at page of the manual I added to the kneeboard. When I started flying the Hornet I wanted to learn everything before doing a campaign. All landings, refueling, weapons. After a while I figured I never get to flying missions because I am still practicing. Started the Raven One campaign and in mission 2 I have to do a case III landing, so I had to learn.

And one additional note, flying in VR adds so much. Doing a case III in VR, it is dark and not your room in daylight with a monitor in front of you.

• Like 2

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

About 2 years ago i bought my first VR headset. First days i was getting motion sickness and almost couldn´t fly for more than 5 minutes... After a week, i started the aircraft and i was prepared for my 5 minutes flight... then, no sickness for the first time. I cried with joy because it was first time i was "feeling" that i was flying, and no motion sickness ever again. It was emotional day for me and i never forget that moment. My childhood dream (i´m 44), i was waiting for VR since i was an infant. Early on i knew that someday it will be available. Sometimes i just sit on the cockpit in the deck and watch and listen rain falling. What a great experience. Love my +2 hour missions flights/trainings. 

My next step will be the SimShaker Jetpac for even more imersion.

Enjpy and happy flying!

Best regards,

F.

• Like 6

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

9 hours ago, fagulha said:

My next step will be the SimShaker Jetpac for even more immersion.

Enjpy and happy flying!

Best regards,

F.

you can't go wrong with the JetSeat. I have maybe flown 10 hours with it but if get into a plane and forgot to turn it on, I notice right away something is wrong. I don't feel the plane. Maybe that was that also added to my experience yesterday. I can say that the last minute felt intense, constantly adding or reducing power, looking for that small lighted runway. You touch down and hope you see/feel the deceleration. I am going to add the mirror view so that I can take screen shots of moments like that.

On another note, I got the VR cover for the Quest2, reviewers said that it was good as it prevented light leakage. That is very true, landing at night it was dark! Secondly, I had the issue that the hot air I was breathing out of my nose would fog up my glasses. With the VR Cover it blocks this completely.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DutchCoolHand said:

you can't go wrong with the JetSeat. I have maybe flown 10 hours with it but if get into a plane and forgot to turn it on, I notice right away something is wrong. I don't feel the plane. Maybe that was that also added to my experience yesterday. I can say that the last minute felt intense, constantly adding or reducing power, looking for that small lighted runway. You touch down and hope you see/feel the deceleration. I am going to add the mirror view so that I can take screen shots of moments like that.

On another note, I got the VR cover for the Quest2, reviewers said that it was good as it prevented light leakage. That is very true, landing at night it was dark! Secondly, I had the issue that the hot air I was breathing out of my nose would fog up my glasses. With the VR Cover it blocks this completely.

Thank you for your insight/help.

For sure i´m going to order the JetSeat. I need to buy first a gaming chair, that´s why i didn´t order yet the JetSeat. I have a office chair, with soft seat but hard back (i use a pillow for softing my back). I think JetSeat will work better with a soft chair/gaming chair.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 2/8/2021 at 8:18 AM, DutchCoolHand said:

And one additional note, flying in VR adds so much. Doing a case III in VR, it is dark and not your room in daylight with a monitor in front of you.

I don't have VR (someday maybe when I upgrade my rig). But I find that the immersion factor for night flying is much greater if I turn off the lights in the room. My flying is usually in the RL evening or night so this works well, even without VR.

• Like 3

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

On 2/9/2021 at 1:02 AM, DutchCoolHand said:

When you land or takeoff from the carrier does the JetSeat gives you any feedback or it doesnt work that way?

Thank you in advance.

F.

46 minutes ago, fagulha said:

When you land or takeoff from the carrier does the JetSeat gives you any feedback or it doesnt work that way?

Thank you in advance.

F.

I will check the next time but I believe so. landing does in general. I am usually so focused on landing that I simply don't know

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DutchCoolHand said:

I will check the next time but I believe so. landing does in general. I am usually so focused on landing that I simply don't know

Give feedback please when you can.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took delivery of a system build with an RTX 3080 and a 3090x cpu (i waited 5 months so i didn't pay scalpers anything

). Like you just flew in VR with the Rift s. Just an amazing experience. Smooth as butter and looking incredible, so much easier to fly those difficult flights. For me Case 1 recovery. I can really nail it when it's like this. So glad I started with early flight sims and matured into these days of wonderful simulations and more importantly VR.

Edited by Mule
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

VR (And I'm still in an old CV1!) with DCS has let me semi-fulfill a life long dream of flying a modern fighter. So many wonderful memories in the headset, and yes...nailing an ICLS landing after a successful mission is truly a great moment. (I love to end the flight by parking my plane, shutting it down, raising the canopy and watching some other jets land while listening to the waves and jet engines).

• Like 1