Landing Gear Handle after Landing

Cruizzzzer

The F/A-18 manual states to put the “landing gear handle to the MECHANICAL STOP” after landing.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any reference of how to do that.

Is it the same 90 degree turn and pull as in the “emergency landing gear extension” procedure?

Does anyone know?

Thanks and greets…

Edited by NineLine
Removed 1.16 image

I'm guessing here: there is probably a mechanical lock (on the L/G handle) which activates once the Weight-on-wheels switch is activated, this ensures that the landing gear can't retracted on ground. (this is most preferable for obvious reasons :p)

So, in the case of this procedure-point: Most likely, the pilot is to check that the landing gear handle is completely down, and then (not sure on this one) try to put the handle on up-position: the handle should be locked. Thus, you have ensured that the Landing gear handle mechanical stop is fully engaged.

Could be wrong on this 😛

Addition:

On some aircrafts there is a “trigger” around the index-finger-position on the L/G handle. The L/G handle can’t be moved if the trigger isn’t pulled, and held.

I’m not sure if the F/A-18 has this, but it might be that the “mechanical stop” ensures that the trigger can’t be pulled.

This makes it so that the pilot doesn’t have to try to put the L/G handle in the up-position, he (or she) only have to ensure that the trigger is locked: the L/G handle is locked.

So, in DCS-terms: once you have landed, all you have to do is to press "G" 😛

Edited by TimRobertsen

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

think I found it and you are right:

there seems to be a mechanical lock which extends when the a/c senses WOW on any of the three landing gears, that prevents the landing gear handle from being placed from DN to UP.

as it looks it is not simulated in DCS. tried to find a proper photo of the real f/a-18 gear handle, but couldn't find one...

but it doesn't really matter... now we know 😉

thanks!

• Like 1

If you can find a clear picture, you will see a white rectangle/square looking piece of metal that is just above the top part of the gear handle.  This is the mechanical lock that drops down when WOW occurs, no need to pull up on the handle to check.

• Like 1

guys on the classic hornet the wow switch is only on the starboard landing gear, when doing end to end testing (firing pulses at the bomb racks) we needed to stick a screwdriver under the switch (wow wedge)- note that for our testing that we needed to make the aircraft think it was flying by moving the switch on the nose wheel DDI(digital display indicator)

5 hours ago, Mo410 said:

If you can find a clear picture, you will see a white rectangle/square looking piece of metal that is just above the top part of the gear handle.  This is the mechanical lock that drops down when WOW occurs, no need to pull up on the handle to check.

Thanks an awful lot for that - been trying to confirm in the Home Cockpits section what the white part was, I'd thought it was possibly part of an uplock control. Much appreciated!

• 1 year later...