Check My Specs

lockon2015

Hi all,

Its been a few years since I last visited this site but I am ready to start using the DCS services again. Are the specs on my computer good to run DCS programs? 

I think I'm good on the Processor 

Processor:      Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50 GHz 3.50 GHz. Installed Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB. 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor. 

If I need 32 GB RAM, do I need a whole new computer or is there a card of some kind I can buy to upgrade my computer? 

Where it says "Free Hard Disk Space" 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); 

does this mean free space on my computer or do I need a separate hard drive for this?

The Display Card is "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970" but I'm fine with low graphics if I can run the missions without any problems. Will this work? If I go to a smaller monitor (M322i-B1 Vizeo Monitor) with Resolution 1920x1080 rather than the bigger LG

I think I will start with what I have in this computer first and see if it works okay. At what point will I need to go to the higher graphics card or the 32 GB RAM?

Also, what is the recommended Internet Speed I should have?

Edited by lockon2015
Forgot One last question about recommended internet speed

55 minutes ago, lockon2015 said:

... Are the specs on my computer good to run DCS programs? 

Processor:      Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50 GHz 3.50 GHz. Installed Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB. 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor. 

If I need 32 GB RAM, do I need a whole new computer or is there a card of some kind I can buy to upgrade my computer? 

Hi,

Those specs are enough to run DCS. 16 GB of RAM will work, but if you fly miltuplayer and on complex missions, it can be not enough.

Feasability of upgrading your PC to 32 GB depends on several factors:

- How many RAM slots does your PC have?

- How many slots does your current 16 GB occupy?

- What type of RAM does it use: DDR3 or DDR4?

If your PC uses older DDR3 memory, then it may not be worthwhile to purchase an additional 16 GB since you won't be able to use that memory if on the future you upgrade the motherboard of the PC.

55 minutes ago, lockon2015 said:

Where it says "Free Hard Disk Space" 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); 

does this mean free space on my computer or do I need a separate hard drive for this?

You need 120 GB of free space on a single drive .. having 60 GB on one disk plus 60 more on another, won't do.

No need for a separate drive, just the 120 GB on a single drive. Many people like to have DCS on its own drive because it makes easier to upgrade Windows later on without disturbing your DCS install.

1 hour ago, lockon2015 said:

The Display Card is "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970" but I'm fine with low graphics if I can run the missions without any problems. Will this work? If I go to a smaller monitor (M322i-B1 Vizeo Monitor) with Resolution 1920x1080 rather than the bigger LG

Yes, I used to run DCS on a GTX-970 and it does work fine on Full HD, provided you don't go all-out on the graphics settings. I sold that card and purchased a used GTX-1070 and it does run a lot better. I intend to replace my GTX-1070 once more current cards appear on the used market .. I never purchase graphics cards new, because of the outrageous prices.

Eduardo.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am not an expert at computers. 

I think you should be fine. May struggle if you try VR. 

On the RAM I believe it depends on your slots on your motherboard. Typical if you have 16gb you have two 8gb ram modules (not always), if you upgrade you would buy two more 8gb modules if you have two empty slots available. its best to buy the same brand and speed (megahertz). Its usually an easy upgrade. One other option is to buy two new 16gb and replace the one you have. Search YouTube on upgrading RAM and you will find a lot of info on the proper way to do it.

On the 120gb Free Hard Disk Space, its just free space. Although I have a SSD dedicated to DCS World and one dedicated to Open Beta.  

A new GPU would help. I started with a 1080 which had 8gb and it ran pretty good on medium settings with VR. I currently have a 1080ti which runs really good with VR medium to some high settings. 

I don't do multiplayer (although would love to start) so I can't recommend internet speed. 

I hope this helps.

Go to the DCS site. Go to E-shop -> Modules.  Each module has a minimum, recommended and VR set of specs. Your system is a bit "dated", but meets the min spec.  Depending on your motherboard, you may or may not have the ability to add a Solid State Drive.  The reason for this recommendation is the speed of access, compared to a traditional magnetic disk disk. DCS runs better from a dedicated SSD. You do need the 120 GB of space, though! I've got 400 GB on the dedicated DCS drive, with only a few utilities.  The majority is taken up by the base game, modules, terrains, and campaigns.  The more complex aircraft such as F-16 or -18 may or may not run well on your machine.

Having said that I ran DCS stable version with an i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, magnetic disk drive, GTX 770 SLI (similar to your GTX 970) with few stutters and not bad graphics, F-18C and F-16. Super Carrier had poor frame rates, though.  

If you have the Power Supply capacity and CPU cooling, check if you can overclock the CPU.  The game uses mostly a single thread, so overclocking does help.

Internet speed will set how fast your downloads (and updates!) are, and only affect Multi-player. If you've been here before, then you probably have some of the modules. The game engine will need updating to be able to run some of the newer modules (check on the site) and pretty well all of the current campaigns. Updates are pretty massive, so be patient.  DCS Updater GUI may prove useful if you decide not to update to the current stable version.

Remember to have fun!!