Gpu price hike

Like many of us I'm trying to get my hands on a 6800xt or 3080 but as we all know there aren't many in the shops at the minute.

When they do come up they are over £200 more than they were when they first came out. 

Is this price increase only there due to the high demand or do you think it's here to stay?  Just wondering if it's worth getting one ASAP and pay whatever I have to or wait in the hope the price will go back down. 

I do not see gpu's becoming more affordable this year . Between crypto , covid , pent-up demand and scalpers bot-purchasing what little stock remains , it is not gonna happen . I'd say if you can get a card for "only" a 25-30% premium , you're doing very well in today's market .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I've been watching the prices over the last few weeks in Germany and they have been gradually going up again after it seemed like they were slowly dropping (in January).  I would expect the prices to remain exorbitant until at least the second half of the year.  AMD did promise to sell their cards at MSRP by the end of Q1, but they didn't comment on stock numbers and they've been pretty complacent about AIB pricing.  I personally was keen on getting an RX6800 for MSRP, but definitely won't be paying 850+ Euro (50+% markup).  If you can, the best advice is to wait, but if you "need" an upgrade (e.g. to power VR) then you might as well buy one now as I doubt it will improve in the next month or two.

I can get you a 3% discount on EVGA graphics cards. EVGA cards have a 3 year transferrable warranty which means they hold their value really well on the secondary market. I got my 3090 at MSRP after waiting in their queue system for 5 weeks. I passed on several queue notifications for other SKUs because I wanted the Kingpin model. Wait for 3080's is longer though. 

On US Ebay scalping market isn't that bad right now. Cards are going for maybe $100 - $200 over MSRP. I still wouldn't pay that much just on principle to discourage the market, but people are buying them. 

I know it’s horrible isn’t it. Been waiting forever for a 3080, but after multiple attempts over last few months to get one and watching the prices continuing to rise, I bit the bullet and grabbed a 3090 which I could at least pre order and lock in the price.

still sucks that I’ve paid £1900 for something that was only £1500 a few short months ago, but at least I’ve got a chance at upgrading from my 1080ti now.

I figure if the prices come down I can always cancel the pre order if needed.

never known pc components to be this hard to get hold off in all my years of pc gaming.    

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

20 hours ago, Cowboy10uk said:

never known pc components to be this hard to get hold off in all my years of pc gaming.    

Well, my take, it's not crypto itself that's the problem... it's the attention it brought from the outside world to our little niche of reality. That attention brought with it the same scumbags that hoarde medical supplies and sanitiser to resale at 5-10x mark up because they realised this was a ''cornerable market''. Meh. I'll rot and die before I give any money to these damn scalpers. GPUs aren't essential goods, but the basic douchebag mentality behind it shouldn't be rewarded. I'd be happy if some ass monkey got stuck with a garage full of 3080s he couldn't offload.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

There's an overall shortage in "chips" these days, not only for the PC market.

Even car factory's come to a stop because of these shortages, VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda etc...) had to close a few plants for a couple of days due to this, just as Volvo (Geely).

I have a new PC in mind, made a component list early december with the then asked prices, video cards (pre-order then and pre-order still, or non available) and RAM went up quite a bit since then, some CPU's went down in price although not much, 2% or so. I'll wait a bit for a new PC...

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I know of no evidence to suggest any improvement this year...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I did manage to buy a MSI 6800xt at a decent price in the UK. However down to a problem in the vbios it could not hold idle power or connect to a 4k display without regular black screens and crashes. After 2 weeks of trying to get it to work I returned it for a refund. Painful to do as I waited ages for it to be in stock. Not an isolated problem when you check the forums. It seems like many manufacturers or even AMD themselves rushed a few models out. So if you do buy, maybe not from a scalper on eBay as it seems a few will arrive DOA like mine did. For the UK at least I would wait until someone like Scan has them in stock. Luckily I had my 2080ti to go back to so not too bad.

The e-shop that I'm used to buy pc parts from have this new rule that you can only buy one RTX card per month otherwise you get your accout banned.(not that they would have any in stock).The RTX 2070 will have to serve a liiitle bit longer...

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate