VR performance with RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 & RX 6800?

Er1c75

Hello, new member here.

I was curious what kind of performance those of you with RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 & AMD RX 6800 cards are getting in VR? Especially those with Reverb G1 & G2 HMDs.

I got a G2 a few weeks back, and am looking at upgrading my RX 5700 (non-XT) - assuming I can find something for MSRP!  Ideally I'd like to be able to run single-player missions at the G2's native resolution of 2160x2160, even if that's at otherwise minimum settings. Or at least sharp enough to be able to read my all Hornet's gauges and displays without zooming in.

I'm currently running DCS at 1892x1852 (or 36% in SteamVR) at 60hz pretty smoothly (sometimes the 60hz flicker bothers me, sometimes its fine). I'm running 60hz instead of 90/45fps reprojection, because I've been getting some pretty severe ghosting and artifacts - much more so than I was with the Quest 2 I was previously trying out. Can anyone tell me if AMD cards are more prone to producing ghosting than Nvidia GPUs?

As for the rest of my system specs, I'm on a Ryzen 5600x with 32 GB RAM, running DCS on an SSD.

Thanks!

PC setup: Ryzen 5 5600x, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro, 32GB Ram, Powercolor Red Dragon RX 5700, HP Reverb G2, Saitek X52 Pro

DCS World modules: F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-15C, SA342 Gazelle, A-10A, Persian Gulf

19 minutes ago, Er1c75 said:

Hello, new member here.

I was curious what kind of performance those of you with RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 & AMD RX 6800 cards are getting in VR? Especially those with Reverb G1 & G2 HMDs.

I got a G2 a few weeks back, and am looking at upgrading my RX 5700 (non-XT) - assuming I can find something for MSRP!  Ideally I'd like to be able to run single-player missions at the G2's native resolution of 2160x2160, even if that's at otherwise minimum settings. Or at least sharp enough to be able to read my all Hornet's gauges and displays without zooming in.

I'm currently running DCS at 1892x1852 (or 36% in SteamVR) at 60hz pretty smoothly (sometimes the 60hz flicker bothers me, sometimes its fine). I'm running 60hz instead of 90/45fps reprojection, because I've been getting some pretty severe ghosting and artifacts - much more so than I was with the Quest 2 I was previously trying out. Can anyone tell me if AMD cards are more prone to producing ghosting than Nvidia GPUs?

As for the rest of my system specs, I'm on a Ryzen 5600x with 32 GB RAM, running DCS on an SSD.

Thanks!

Reverb G2's native resolution is more like 3172x3100. At least at 100% resolution.

I am running DCS at 100% resolution and motion smoothing forced on and getting very good results with pretty high graphics settings.

This is with an EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra and an i9 9900k at 5.2 Ghz all cores.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Reverb G2's native resolution is more like 3172x3100. At least at 100% resolution.

I am running DCS at 100% resolution and motion smoothing forced on and getting very good results with pretty high graphics settings.

This is with an EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra and an i9 9900k at 5.2 Ghz all cores.

That's a nice build!  I am totally jealous!  @Er1c75 Performance is the best with cards that have 16GB or more of VRAM as a general rule because the maps are so large.  Syria uses 11GB easily.  If you can't get more VRAM, do your best to lower the textures etc. so that the Shared GPU memory doesn't start swapping with Dedicated GPU memory in Task Manager.  This is where things get choppy.  Resolution doesn't impact the amount of VRAM used.  Syria uses 11GB in 4k and 1080p.

6800xt here, so far my experience has been subpar.  A lot of artifacts with motion smoothing and I'm not able to sustain 45 fps with motion smoothing on or forced on.  Still hoping I can find something hurting performance but the GPU shows high 90's utilization.  This is all with SS in steam set to 80% or less and DCS at PD 1.0 with most of the eye candy turned off on a G2.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

1 hour ago, glide said:

That's a nice build!  I am totally jealous!  @Er1c75 Performance is the best with cards that have 16GB or more of VRAM as a general rule because the maps are so large.  Syria uses 11GB easily.  If you can't get more VRAM, do your best to lower the textures etc. so that the Shared GPU memory doesn't start swapping with Dedicated GPU memory in Task Manager.  This is where things get choppy.  Resolution doesn't impact the amount of VRAM used.  Syria uses 11GB in 4k and 1080p.

@glide, I’m already running mid and low textures, and it doesn’t seem to make too much difference - but render resolution does. That being said, I won’t disagree that the more VRAM, the better. What do you have for a build, and what kind of performance are you getting?

43 minutes ago, Strong05 said:

6800xt here, so far my experience has been subpar.  A lot of artifacts with motion smoothing and I'm not able to sustain 45 fps with motion smoothing on or forced on.  Still hoping I can find something hurting performance but the GPU shows high 90's utilization.  This is all with SS in steam set to 80% or less and DCS at PD 1.0 with most of the eye candy turned off on a G2.

Strong05, are you also getting motion smoothing artifacts that make it look like the buttons and displays on your instrument panels are jumping around, like I am? Are you getting these same motion smoothing artifacts in other games? I’m wondering if it’s an AMD thing. 

PC setup: Ryzen 5 5600x, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro, 32GB Ram, Powercolor Red Dragon RX 5700, HP Reverb G2, Saitek X52 Pro

DCS World modules: F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-15C, SA342 Gazelle, A-10A, Persian Gulf

Yup, those are the artifacts I'm seeing.  haven't tried other games in VR yet.  So far my solution is to turn motion smoothing off.  Just got done tinkering with it and turning DX11 mode on in steam gets me 10-20 more fps or more.  Not exactly sure what this is doing, it might be less resolution/SS/PD or MSAA, but I can't tell for sure.  What I do notice besides for more FPS is that it eliminates an accordion affect that is very noticeable down low in a tight turn.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

4 hours ago, Er1c75 said:

Strong05, are you also getting motion smoothing artifacts that make it look like the buttons and displays on your instrument panels are jumping around, like I am? Are you getting these same motion smoothing artifacts in other games? I’m wondering if it’s an AMD thing. 

That’s not an artefact of motion smoothing, rather it’s more likely a result of tracking failure from differing lighting conditions... you may want re-do the play area... which seems to correct it for me.

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

@Er1c75 I have the 1080Ti with 11GB of VRAM.  It's good, but not great.  I've got DCS settings figured out now.  I keep my card from swapping Shared GPU memory by only playing PG and Caucasus.  I won't be going into VR or playing Syria map until I can upgrade my card, and that won't happen for a few months.

8 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

That’s not an artefact of motion smoothing, rather it’s more likely a result of tracking failure from differing lighting conditions... you may want re-do the play area... which seems to correct it for me.

Dang, that didn’t work. Good suggestion though - I hadn’t thought of trying that. I think Strong05 and I might be experiencing  something different than what you had. 

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with my 6800xt driving a RiftS . No ASW problems here . Very smooth at quite high graphics and aa setings , and handles Syria very well .

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

On 2/10/2021 at 9:59 AM, Svsmokey said:

I'm quite happy with my 6800xt driving a RiftS . No ASW problems here . Very smooth at quite high graphics and aa setings , and handles Syria very well .

That card is on my radar for upgrades.  I see that AMD will be selling direct soon, so you can at least get MSRP pricing.

My advice is don't buy a amd GPU for now if you are VR gamer in general. I recently bought the rx 6900xt Devil, seriously beautiful gpu. It really impressed me, it's fast. I had to send it back tho because of gpu rendering issues, not compatible with certain software...but for VR it also got it's problems. 

In DCS I got max performance with my rift S, 80 fps smooth and asw is smooth. Amazing experience! But here is the issue, ASW only works smooth when you can achieve max fps.

If you lock your fps at for example 30 in DCS, MSFS or Truck Simulator my 1080ti produces a smoother experience. I don't  know why but with the amd gpu it's choppy and stuttery, basically not a nice experience at all...It performs bad compared to nvidia when the fps is below 45/40. In MSFS 30fps locked, even 18fps locked is an oke experience with my 1080ti with the rt 6900xt the scenery is always stuttery...it's just not playable. At 45fps it's a oke experience in MSFS..... In DCS I used asw 45 --> really smooth because of the max fps. 80 max is also smooth but a bit more occasional stutters...

In short this is a serious con and makes the amd gpu's not future proof for especially MSFS with all the third party addons coming up or dcs with upcoming developments.

And Truck Simulator for example was really dissapointing, AMD gpu's doesn't seem to work really well in some older games in VR...

Maybe drivers will solve these problems,  let's hope....I actually prefer AMD. If they fix these VR issues I would definitely advice an AMD gpu...more bang for your bucks.

But if you want to be sure for now go NVIDIA. 

• Like 1

I can confirm. Motion reprojection just sucks on AMD GPUs. Both Oculus' and Valve implementation of it. It happens in all games. But this is something that can be fixed in drivers. So there is hope.

Edited by VitS
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Wakkaman said:

My advice is don't buy a amd GPU for now if you are VR gamer in general. I recently bought the rx 6900xt Devil, seriously beautiful gpu. It really impressed me, it's fast. I had to send it back tho because of gpu rendering issues, not compatible with certain software...but for VR it also got it's problems. 

In DCS I got max performance with my rift S, 80 fps smooth and asw is smooth. Amazing experience! But here is the issue, ASW only works smooth when you can achieve max fps.

If you lock your fps at for example 30 in DCS, MSFS or Truck Simulator my 1080ti produces a smoother experience. I don't  know why but with the amd gpu it's choppy and stuttery, basically not a nice experience at all...It performs bad compared to nvidia when the fps is below 45/40. In MSFS 30fps locked, even 18fps locked is an oke experience with my 1080ti with the rt 6900xt the scenery is always stuttery...it's just not playable. At 45fps it's a oke experience in MSFS..... In DCS I used asw 45 --> really smooth because of the max fps. 80 max is also smooth but a bit more occasional stutters...

In short this is a serious con and makes the amd gpu's not future proof for especially MSFS with all the third party addons coming up or dcs with upcoming developments.

And Truck Simulator for example was really dissapointing, AMD gpu's doesn't seem to work really well in some older games in VR...

Maybe drivers will solve these problems,  let's hope....I actually prefer AMD. If they fix these VR issues I would definitely advice an AMD gpu...more bang for your bucks.

But if you want to be sure for now go NVIDIA. 

6 hours ago, VitS said:

I can confirm. Motion reprojection just sucks on AMD GPUs. Both Oculus' and Valve implementation of it. It happens in all games. But this is something that can be fixed in drivers. So there is hope.

Thanks for your inputs! I was already leaning towards trying Nvidia after years of only using AMD cards (not a “team red” thing - they just always had the best bang-for-buck when I was previously shopping). This pretty much seals it. Now if can just find a 3070 without paying scalper prices! 😭

9 hours ago, VitS said:

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement , with regard to Oculus . ASW is so seamless with my setup that i can't tell when it switches in or out absent a fps counter .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

26 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement , with regard to Oculus . ASW is so seamless with my setup that i can't tell when it switches in or out absent a fps counter .

You know, I tried a Quest 2 before getting my Reverb 2, and ASW was not an issue with that and my AMD RX 5700. Video compression over the Link connection, however, WAS an issue. Although fine with DCS, anything with fast moving backgrounds like racing sims (especially Dirt Rally) were a blotchy pixelated mess. (I've heard Nvidia handles video compression much better). So, I returned that and got the Reverb 2. But now I'm dealing with ASW/Motion smoothing issues. 😑

20 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

sure you guys haven't got HAGS switched on by mistake ?

Pardon the noob question, but what's HAGS?

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling, Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling | DirectX Developer Blog (microsoft.com), it totally screws up my Motion Smoothing/ASW etc.. .

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

54 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling, Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling | DirectX Developer Blog (microsoft.com), it totally screws up my Motion Smoothing/ASW etc.. .

Oh yes, I remember that now. From what I'm reading, AMD hasn't been supporting it past a Beta release last year. I've looked for where that setting is supposed to be, and it's not there.

Edited by Er1c75

17 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

I think it works smooth because you hit max fps.. Try a game where you can't hit that max fps...and it's probably not that of a smooth experience, at least that is my experience. What headset are you using if I may ask? 

I have a 3090 now it's a lot smoother, in different 'VR' games and this is a big pro.  MSFS is now playable also with lower fps, with some tweaks and tricks of course. The difference in truck simulator is night and day...Specifically for dcs tho, amd gpu's seem to work well. But I had a rift s and now a reverb g2, so i don't know how the rx 6900 xt would hold itself with the g2 in dcs. I think less smooth actually because of the lower fps stutters.

My new 3090 stock is a tiny bit slower then my rx 6900 xt red devil in benchmarks. I did overlock the rx 6900 xt a little bit because it's so easy, but there is a limit. If they remove that .... I seriously think the rx 6900 xt can be convincingly aster. And it was like 500 dollars cheaper....imagine the potential. Those red devil cards are seriously cool.

If AMD fix all this.... they have a winner for so.

8 hours ago, Wakkaman said:

I think it works smooth because you hit max fps.. Try a game where you can't hit that max fps...and it's probably not that of a smooth experience, at least that is my experience. What headset are you using if I may ask? 

I have a 3090 now it's a lot smoother, in different 'VR' games and this is a big pro.  MSFS is now playable also with lower fps, with some tweaks and tricks of course. The difference in truck simulator is night and day...Specifically for dcs tho, amd gpu's seem to work well. But I had a rift s and now a reverb g2, so i don't know how the rx 6900 xt would hold itself with the g2 in dcs. I think less smooth actually because of the lower fps stutters.

My new 3090 stock is a tiny bit slower then my rx 6900 xt red devil in benchmarks. I did overlock the rx 6900 xt a little bit because it's so easy, but there is a limit. If they remove that .... I seriously think the rx 6900 xt can be convincingly aster. And it was like 500 dollars cheaper....imagine the potential. Those red devil cards are seriously cool.

If AMD fix all this.... they have a winner for so.

Not sure what you mean by "max fps" . What i tried to say is that i'm having a smooth experience whether at 80 , 40 , or the transition between the two .

I work the pc as hard as possible , very low over Batumi , rolling and pulling hard and sweeping my view from forward to aft when testing .

My pc is DCS-exclusive , so i have neither the ability to test nor an interest in how games perform .

I am running a RiftS .

Edited by Svsmokey

On 2/14/2021 at 6:43 PM, Svsmokey said:

Not sure what you mean by "max fps" . What i tried to say is that i'm having a smooth experience whether at 80 , 40 , or the transition between the two .

I work the pc as hard as possible , very low over Batumi , rolling and pulling hard and sweeping my view from forward to aft when testing .

My pc is DCS-exclusive , so i have neither the ability to test nor an interest in how games perform .

I am running a RiftS .

Thnks for your answer, yeah in the RiftS I also had 80 or 40 between the two. That's indeed max fps, therefore asw is working really good. But if you would use the oculus tray tool in for example MSFS and lock it on 30hz, that's where the problems start with a ati gpu. Luckily tho you only play DCS.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, speed-of-heat said:

you are once again my hero. 

• Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).