VR performance with RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 & RX 6800?

Er1c75

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2021 at 4:00 AM, Strong05 said:

Yup, those are the artifacts I'm seeing.  haven't tried other games in VR yet.  So far my solution is to turn motion smoothing off.  Just got done tinkering with it and turning DX11 mode on in steam gets me 10-20 more fps or more.  Not exactly sure what this is doing, it might be less resolution/SS/PD or MSAA, but I can't tell for sure.  What I do notice besides for more FPS is that it eliminates an accordion affect that is very noticeable down low in a tight turn.

Is DX11 mode in steam still a thing I can never find it and just thought it was no longer an option with latest steam versions. Could you tell me where I locate it if it is I would like to give it a try. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

2 hours ago, westr said:

Is DX11 mode in steam still a thing I can never find it and just thought it was no longer an option with latest steam versions. Could you tell me where I locate it if it is I would like to give it a try. 

You have to access it through Steam VR in the headset.  With the headset on and Steam VR launched push the small button next to the window button on your WMR headset controller. This will bring up the steam VR menu.  The 2nd or 3rd round button from the bottom left should be WMR settings.  The force DX11 mode is nested in that menu somewhere.  I've posted a better description previously if you want to search for it, it's been a hot second since I've accessed the setting.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

8 hours ago, Strong05 said:

You have to access it through Steam VR in the headset.  With the headset on and Steam VR launched push the small button next to the window button on your WMR headset controller. This will bring up the steam VR menu.  The 2nd or 3rd round button from the bottom left should be WMR settings.  The force DX11 mode is nested in that menu somewhere.  I've posted a better description previously if you want to search for it, it's been a hot second since I've accessed the setting.

Thanks I found it. It made my reverb look more like my old CV1 for very little performance gain so I turned it back off. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

6 hours ago, westr said:

Thanks I found it. It made my reverb look more like my old CV1 for very little performance gain so I turned it back off. 

I thought the same too at first but, I was running a much lower SS setting in steam with DX12 on.  I turned SS up to 100% and then forced DX11 on and that brought the visuals back up and kept my frame rate up/got rid of the stuttering.  It's also possible this issue has been resolved with the latest drivers.

6 hours ago, westr said:

I think it's also worth noting, I didn't have these problems when I was running a 1080ti.  They only materialized when I got a 6800xt.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

• 10 months later...

I have 306. ti Just got the Reverb 2 the other day. I have not done much optimization yet, and quite frankly, don't understand much about GPU stuff. Below are my settings.

in Steam VR

image.png

In DCS

image.png

My system

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz

32 Gigs DDR4

3060TI

I have no idea if this qualifies as "good system" or not.

I usually get around 40-50 FPS while playing, but it can definitely dip, and slows down if I get close to another plane.

It's playable, but I could probably benefit from some optimization.

1 hour ago, AndrewVR said:

I have 306. ti Just got the Reverb 2 the other day. I have not done much optimization yet, and quite frankly, don't understand much about GPU stuff. Below are my settings.

in Steam VR

image.png

In DCS

image.png

My system

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz

32 Gigs DDR4

3060TI

I have no idea if this qualifies as "good system" or not.

I usually get around 40-50 FPS while playing, but it can definitely dip, and slows down if I get close to another plane.

It's playable, but I could probably benefit from some optimization.

I would turn your scenery details and forest details down to half, that might give you more FPS down low. 

Andrew -- you might like it more if you set your textures to high and undersample. Google up fholgers vrperf toolkit, it actually works pretty darn well. Set steam global 100%, per app 100% and pixel density 1.0.  Let vrperfkit do the work. Start with stock settings.  RenderScale determines performance. Somewhere between 0.5 and 0.77 is your nirvana.  

Forest visibility should match your vis range, both should be medium more or less. You may or may not be able to keep the shadows.  Set cockpit displays to 1024 and max out anisotropic filtering. Turn civ traffic all the way off and put gamma a smidge higher.

Report back. Feel free to PM if you want. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

31 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Set cockpit displays to 1024

Why would you do that? That option only affects the cockpit mirrors.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, VpR81 said:

Why would you do that? That option only affects the cockpit mirrors.

Not in my experience . I'm seeing sharper mfd's as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Are you sure this isn't a placebo effect? I had it on "1024 each" and set it to "256" and there is absolutely zero difference in the MFDs.

256:

20220223120745_1.jpg

20220223120757_1.jpg1024:

20220223121020_1.jpg

20220223121025_1.jpgI don't see any difference in MFD clarity, but a very significant difference for the mirrors.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Point taken: Andrew will probably want mirrors off while tuning.

The "1024 every frame" thing is kind of an apocryphal recommendation, albeit one based on an apocryphal reference:

RES. OF COCKPIT DISPLAYS. Set the resolution of cockpit displays such as mirrors, targeting video indicators, multifunction displays, moving maps, etc. Note that higher resolution settings can negatively impact the smoothness of game play.

...which is still in the manual ten years later fwiw.

Regardless.  Theory is, give the VRPerfKit some information to work with, and let it do its magic.  

(ETA: I don't know what resolution the Hornet DDI's are coming across, I don't think it's even close 1024.  Maybe 800x600?  Only so much you can do with those things, especially if you're blowing em up to iMax proportions.   Which is fine.  Bodes well for upsampling strategies.)

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

On 2/23/2022 at 12:14 PM, VpR81 said:

Are you sure this isn't a placebo effect? I had it on "1024 each" and set it to "256" and there is absolutely zero difference in the MFDs.

256:

20220223120745_1.jpg

20220223120757_1.jpg1024:

20220223121020_1.jpg

20220223121025_1.jpgI don't see any difference in MFD clarity, but a very significant difference for the mirrors.

It only affect the Picture in Picture images so mirrors, TGP, Maverick, etc. the regular MFD pages are not affected by this setting.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

On 2/22/2022 at 4:28 PM, DeltaMike said:

Andrew -- you might like it more if you set your textures to high and undersample. Google up fholgers vrperf toolkit, it actually works pretty darn well. Set steam global 100%, per app 100% and pixel density 1.0.  Let vrperfkit do the work. Start with stock settings.  RenderScale determines performance. Somewhere between 0.5 and 0.77 is your nirvana.  

Forest visibility should match your vis range, both should be medium more or less. You may or may not be able to keep the shadows.  Set cockpit displays to 1024 and max out anisotropic filtering. Turn civ traffic all the way off and put gamma a smidge higher.

Report back. Feel free to PM if you want. 

Thanks, I will try this out this evening and report back! Also, I'm having a hard time dealing with some of the keyboard stuff. Obviously I'm trying to map as much as possible to the hotas, but still rely on keyboard for some things. VR makes this hard....not sure what options I have...

On 2/22/2022 at 2:34 PM, ricktoberfest said:

I would turn your scenery details and forest details down to half, that might give you more FPS down low. 

I did try that the other day, it really didn't make that much of a difference...but perhaps combined with some other settings it will.

10 minutes ago, AndrewVR said:

Thanks, I will try this out this evening and report back! Also, I'm having a hard time dealing with some of the keyboard stuff. Obviously I'm trying to map as much as possible to the hotas, but still rely on keyboard for some things. VR makes this hard....not sure what options I have...

I did try that the other day, it really didn't make that much of a difference...but perhaps combined with some other settings it will.

Between my HOTAS mapping and Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro, I have no need for my keyboard whilst flying.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, AndrewVR said:

I'm having a hard time dealing with some of the keyboard stuff. Obviously I'm trying to map as much as possible to the hotas, but still rely on keyboard for some things. VR makes this hard....not sure what options I have...

If you set up left/right mouse buttons and wheel up/down onto a 4 way hat on your hotas then you can simply enable vr mouse, set it centrally in the view and use the headset to look at the switches you want to control. If you don't have a spare hat switch then you can set a modifier switch in DCS so you reutilise any that have already been bound.

Between this and leap motion I don't need to touch the mouse/keyboard for the most part. Obviously this does mean you need to know the controls in the cockpit rather than learn a bunch of key binds but I think that's a much better way to go about learning the systems 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Andrew -- think about your mapping strategy.  Think about mapping gear, flaps, speed brakes, weapons, sensor control to the same place for every airframe.  Beyond that, in VR we tend to make liberal use of the clickable cockpit.  I use a mouse, some use a trackball, some use controllers -- several options.  I only really map switches that are behind me cuz I'm getting too lazy to turn around looking for them.  It is helpful to map gear and flaps, for a long time I mapped em to a hat switch on the throttle using a modifier and still think that was the good solution

Link for your toolkit which has been discussed at length in other threads here

----

VpR81: see pic, I don't *think* its placebo but I can talk myself into just about anything

1024v256.PNG

Edited by DeltaMike

Hmmm... definately a difference. At least with the color, but not so much in terms of resolution. Comparing the text blocks in both TGP images and taking into account, that on the left image you are a bit closer to the MFD (the left PiP is slightly larger - i measured it on my screen left is 230mm x 220mm, right is 220mm x 210mm ), i'd say it's perfectly the same resolution. But realy can't tell for sure by these pictures, will have to check that by myself in VR. If  the cockpit display resolution option affects the clarity of PiP MFD pages, i'd assume the difference should be as significant as it's with the mirrors. And that's obviously not the case. Will definately take a look on that tomorrow.

We can certainly agree, if there's a difference, there's not much of one...  by the same token I'm not noticing much of a performance hit going from say 512 to 1024.  I also haven't noticed nearly as much performance hit from the mirrors as I used to.  Old farts like me have been making that recommendation for years, and it appears, it's not as relevant as it used to be.  

So perhaps we should say, far as cockpit display resolution is concerned, 90% of the time you're gonna be looking at MFD's, and it doesn't really matter what you set the display resolution, they are still gonna look crappy in VR. So dialing it down to 512 improves your render times, dial it on down

Do we know what the F18, or Harrier MFD's are rendering at, in game?  

Well, I've tried much of the suggestions on this thread.

• vrperf toolkit didn't really do that much (just dropping the files in the BIN directory? that's it?)
  • Lowering the resolution per eye made the biggest difference, and I could get up to 60-65 fps, but it's a tradeoff.

So far, looking around the in the headset is very smooth, but when I turn the plane with the controls, it just feels really choppy, even if it's at 50 FPS. Then the motion sickness kicks in, and I can only last about 20 minutes.

While the immersion is really amazing.....I think I'll wait for a more optimized version of DCS before I go down the VR route. Perhaps my experience would be better with a beefier video card. Prices are trending down, so that is a plus.

I think overall, I think I get more enjoyment for now with track IR, and a keyboard. I have issues  with my HOTAS, and not everything gets mapped properly or works as expected, so I still rely on the keyboard for some things. I just feel I have more control of things.

The thing with this game is it is so customizable with different equipment and settings, and some people really dig that and have the time to work everything out. I am more of a plug and play time of guy. I get jealous when I see those great cockpit setups people can build, but I can't put in hundreds of hours to get there 🙂

Once this game is optimized for VR, and the motion sickness works it's way out, then I think I can get back into it.

You need to configure vrperfkit, by default the upscaling (fsr/nis/cas) is disabled, you need to edit the config file with notepad++ or similar. Try setting it to fsr with render scale 0.75 and sharpening 0.1-0.2 to start with and adjust from there.

Essentially with any of the upscaling methods, the cleaner you can make the image before it gets upscaled the better the final quality, this means that any aliasing will get upscaled as well so best to get the resolution as high as possible before upscaling.

I run fsr 0.75 with steamvr 120%, 0 sharpening and MSAA 2x and image is perfectly clear. This equates to actually rendering at around 90% but because the fsr is rendering a much higher resolution beforehand the final image quality has less aliasing for more performance.

Frametimes are generally below 16ms (60fps+) on Caucasus so motion smoothing is usually disengaged, Syria drags it down to 16-22ms so smoothing is engaged and occasionally causes minor artifacts but it is always buttery smooth because the smoothing is working.

Note that I do use the G2 at 60hz refresh do I get much more GPU overhead before the smoothing is disabled because the frametimes are too high.

edit: oh and kegetys shader mod (or one of the many variations of it, I personally use speed-of-heat's clearwater version) will gain you a few precious ms to help keep it smooth. Unfortunately without the brute horsepower of a 3080/90 some mods are needed to maximise performance in order to improve visual quality.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

6900xt will run circles around a 3070. May not matter with a quest2 but it will with a G2. 

Secret to big Navi is, you have to set a minimum GPU clock speed. That takes care of the spikes.  

Nobody sets out to buy AMD on purpose, not for flight sims.  But don't shoot yourself in the foot just to get NVIDIA.  You gotta do the best you can with what's available 

On 3/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, edmuss said:

You need to configure vrperfkit, by default the upscaling (fsr/nis/cas) is disabled, you need to edit the config file with notepad++ or similar. Try setting it to fsr with render scale 0.75 and sharpening 0.1-0.2 to start with and adjust from there.

Essentially with any of the upscaling methods, the cleaner you can make the image before it gets upscaled the better the final quality, this means that any aliasing will get upscaled as well so best to get the resolution as high as possible before upscaling.

I run fsr 0.75 with steamvr 120%, 0 sharpening and MSAA 2x and image is perfectly clear. This equates to actually rendering at around 90% but because the fsr is rendering a much higher resolution beforehand the final image quality has less aliasing for more performance.

Frametimes are generally below 16ms (60fps+) on Caucasus so motion smoothing is usually disengaged, Syria drags it down to 16-22ms so smoothing is engaged and occasionally causes minor artifacts but it is always buttery smooth because the smoothing is working.

Note that I do use the G2 at 60hz refresh do I get much more GPU overhead before the smoothing is disabled because the frametimes are too high.

edit: oh and kegetys shader mod (or one of the many variations of it, I personally use speed-of-heat's clearwater version) will gain you a few precious ms to help keep it smooth. Unfortunately without the brute horsepower of a 3080/90 some mods are needed to maximise performance in order to improve visual quality.

The vrperfkit.yml file has these settings, I never changed anything:

upscaling:

enabled: true

method: fsr

renderScale: 0.77

sharpness: 0.7

radius: 0.6

Looks like the settings were there. 

According to the installation instructions, just dump dxgi.dll and vrperfkit.yml into the BIN directory (C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin on my machine)

I'm just not seeing a difference.

It should be working ok then as long as you don't have something else that requires a modified dxgi.dll; I think one of the reshade mods uses it aswell so it's necessary to rename one of them if you want to run them concurrently.

You should see a good reduction of frametimes with it on vs off, try disabling it and see what the frametimes do.

Out of interest, you don't have a winwing hotas do you?

22 hours ago, edmuss said:

It should be working ok then as long as you don't have something else that requires a modified dxgi.dll; I think one of the reshade mods uses it aswell so it's necessary to rename one of them if you want to run them concurrently.

You should see a good reduction of frametimes with it on vs off, try disabling it and see what the frametimes do.

Out of interest, you don't have a winwing hotas do you?

No, Logitech x52