Mavericks tracking 'junk' / scenery

fudabidu
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

Place some vehicles on a road that has lamp posts, command handoff, watch the Maverick seeker snap to an (invisible) lamp post. Same works with units near a fence.

Problem is, whenever the Maverick receives a track command (handoff or TMS up) it's casting a ray along its LOS. If this ray intersects with a scenery object it will track that, even if said scenery object is practically invisible compared to the actual target.

It's not user error, it's a DCS shortcoming that has been present for ages. It's just getting more obvious with the increased density of scenery object and more annoying.

OB 60966, no mods, I know how Mavs work

Please don't ask for tracks before you fix the replay system.

Thanks

• Like 1

Yes, they have been this way for a while. To my knowledge the only “fix” is a rework to thermal mapping and, probably, to how contrast locking in the mavs work. I have heard that thermal mapping re-works are in progress along side the ATFLIR pod. I’m not sure if your intention is to file a bug report, or to just vent. If this is an attempt at a bug report, ED will likely want a track file anyway regardless of its stability for long duration tracks. I understand that it can be frustrating, but fixes will be applied in time.

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Nevada Test and Training Range, The Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, Syria

A much simpler solution: ignore unimportant scenery objects. Already works fine with trees, doesn't it?

We've asked for FLIR improvements many years ago (A-10C) and here we are still dealing with the same 'bug'. Yes, waiting several years for a fix that doesn't come is frustrating and I'm not satisfied with some promises (seen enough empty ones on this forum already).

As for tracks: in my case they desync almost immediately, before I can even show the problem. It's an unreliable system, always has been, only got worse over time and everybody knows about it.

What could we learn from a track anyways? That Mavericks work exactly like I described above and that it's causing this issue? That an issue we've known about for years still hasn't been fixed? Sorry, but there is no new knowledge to be gained from a track file.

• ED Team
  • Solution

While we do have some issues with lamp post that are reported, and we are working on the new FLIR, tracking or locking on to un-intended objects is also a real world issue. 

thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, fudabidu said:

Okay, and what is your solution for the lamp posts? Just wait it out some more and refer to the FLIR update we asked for years ago?

Seriously, why is it so hard to give a response that actually contains information?

I've told you we have the lamp post issue reported, I also told you we are working on new FLIR, if that is not information I dont know what to say. 

thanks

• Like 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

38 minutes ago, fudabidu said:

Okay, and what is your solution for the lamp posts?

Well, we could start with this simple question. Just because it's reported doesn't mean it's actually getting fixed.

If you got no time to actually answer questions, maybe it's time for some new moderators to improve communication?

Seriously, after all these years I'm tired of waiting and getting responses that tell me nothing but to wait even longer. Is that understandable?

• ED Team
Just now, fudabidu said:

Well, we could start with this simple question. Just because it's reported doesn't mean it's actually getting fixed.

If you got no time to actually answer questions, maybe it's time for some new moderators to improve communication?

Seriously, after all these years I'm tired of waiting and getting responses that tell me nothing but to wait even longer. Is that understandable?

I know you are frustrated that is clear, 

Yes if it is reported it will be fixed unless it is to difficult, which is why I say it is reported and nothing else, I dont want to promise a result that may not happen, if I had tested a fix myself I would try to give you more, but I have not, so can not give you more information. 

thank you

20 hours ago, fudabidu said:

A much simpler solution: ignore unimportant scenery objects. Already works fine with trees, doesn't it?

AFAIK trees work a bit different than scenry objects. Also, loosing the ability to lock on scenery objects is a big NOGO for me, as they can very much be locked in real life and in some missiosn in DCS you have to destroy scenery obects.

20 hours ago, fudabidu said:

We've asked for FLIR improvements many years ago (A-10C) and here we are still dealing with the same 'bug'. Yes, waiting several years for a fix that doesn't come is frustrating and I'm not satisfied with some promises (seen enough empty ones on this forum already).

ED is working on a completely new FLIR rendering tech for the entire DCS environment. That takes some time to get right, even if you don't understand that...

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg