HMAS Melbourne R21 (1980)

*cough* photoshop...

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

30 minutes ago, crazyeddie said:

Did he actually managed to get that F14 onto that deck ... and the big question ... How did he get it off again, by crane ?  😃

extra elastic bands ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

@Bungo
I believe changing the health pool would make this unit sink more realistically. I've noticed in your mod and TPaps the health is 7000+ which is more harpoons than in a Nimitz inventory
--------------
GT.life = 800;
--------------
Worked for about 4-5 harpoons. It's very unlikely a ship or carrier would be doing anything else in a conflict after being hit by a single weapon, and its going to take quite a while before the next iteration of damage modelling reaches ships...

YMMV

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

5 hours ago, Pikey said:

@Bungo
I believe changing the health pool would make this unit sink more realistically. I've noticed in your mod and TPaps the health is 7000+ which is more harpoons than in a Nimitz inventory
--------------
GT.life = 800;
--------------
Worked for about 4-5 harpoons. It's very unlikely a ship or carrier would be doing anything else in a conflict after being hit by a single weapon, and its going to take quite a while before the next iteration of damage modelling reaches ships...

YMMV

I will make that change for the next itteration.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, Stratos said:

Looks like a touch and go, the Tomcat does not have the hook lowered.

The comment that came with the pic was that it was a touch and go.  Though I think he would have picked a calmer day for it.  Not rulling out it was a photoshop landing tho...

I posted it on the HMAS Melbourne groups facebook page and none of them indicated it was impossible, but no-one confirmed it either.

Braedon

Edited by Bungo
  • Like 1

It could be real, foreign aircrews often practiced approaches to unfamiliar decks, if the deck could take the airframe they might stick the wheels on the deck for a second or two and if not they just did the approach.  That image shows him (or her) on the way upwards again, the exhaust tail has dipped and is rising again, so I would guess just an approach to familiarise with everything Australian.   

Practicing for the old eventuality that it might be the only deck around ... any port in a storm etc.  Remember the RN Harrier pilot who banged it down on the top of a container on a cargo ship out at sea, it happens. (He screwed it up slightly of course and the bum fell off the back off the container - but he saved the airframe !!)  

hey @Bungo, fantastic mod. DCS has needed a carrier of this size and vintage for a long time. Great job.

Quick query, am I missing something here, pardon the pun, but I can never seem to catch the wire with the A-4.

As it’s the only hook A/C I have, I can’t compare with another. The A-4 does catch the wire on the Stennis though.

I’ve watched externally and the wheels touch down in the right spot and the hook travels across the wire, but every time it’s full power and around we go.

At least I’m getting proficient in carrier CCTS.

Also, for any one that’s interested, after seeing Bungo’s job on the Melbourne I’ve gone through and redone all my RAN A-4 skins.

I had a couple up for download already but have now pur them all up. Hope you all can put them to good use.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315560/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315590/

• Like 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

I switched to the Melbourne WIP and it traps everytime.

The other Melbourne I haven't had one single full stop.

I'm making the same approach to each carrier.

Not sure if this was a known issue, probably just me, but I hope it helps.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Helles Belle said:

hey @Bungo, fantastic mod. DCS has needed a carrier of this size and vintage for a long time. Great job.

Quick query, am I missing something here, pardon the pun, but I can never seem to catch the wire with the A-4.

As it’s the only hook A/C I have, I can’t compare with another. The A-4 does catch the wire on the Stennis though.

I’ve watched externally and the wheels touch down in the right spot and the hook travels across the wire, but every time it’s full power and around we go.

At least I’m getting proficient in carrier CCTS.

Also, for any one that’s interested, after seeing Bungo’s job on the Melbourne I’ve gone through and redone all my RAN A-4 skins.

I had a couple up for download already but have now pur them all up. Hope you all can put them to good use.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315560/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315590/

5 hours ago, Helles Belle said:

I switched to the Melbourne WIP and it traps everytime.

The other Melbourne I haven't had one single full stop.

I'm making the same approach to each carrier.

Not sure if this was a known issue, probably just me, but I hope it helps.

That is odd, given that the LUA and the model for the Melbourne and WIP are identical other than the catapult length?  The Collision mesh is the same too except for the catapult work-around.  I'll see if there are any differences that have snuck in.

Braedon

be ware that the SCooter with the SFM does not hook to teh catapult (havent tryed landing yet).

I know the SFM version is outdated and the carrier is ment for the 2.0 Scooter, Still I wanted to leave the info here in case someone else is using it still.

Disclaimer: We are using the 1.4 because we were in the midle of a camaping and would be comlicated to change the flight standard in the middle of it.

We incorporate new Mods after every Campaign is finished.

6 hours ago, Bungo said:

If you can handle multiple 5GB+ PSB files, sure...  I'll have to make them presentable tho.

219530C8-4E32-4C21-8ADC-7D6E5BE5CF38.jpeg

16 hours ago, Callsign said:

Paint her as a post-coversion Essex you won't

Bet I plan to paint her as USS Hancock for a Vietnam campaign in working on, If you need a dude to do the liveries on your USS Oriskany I would be happy to help

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, Pikey said:

@Bungo
--------------
GT.life = 800;
--------------

YMMV

Gonna throw this out there, but the AGM-84D is pretty bad at taking out ships. Its damage is quite pathetic compared to other options like 2,000lb JDAMs, C-801AK, or even a full spread of 24 ARAK rockets from the Viggen.

In general, damage against ships is incredibly inconsistent across the game. I found that just two full ARAK rocket loads on the Chinese troop transport ship would take it out, yet it would take a few Rb 05 strikes to do the same.

This is probably related to the known and ongoing issues with the warheads.lua file.

Somebody asked about the ARA Independencia - I have a partly finished deck for this ship which I never got around to completing. I finished the decks I thought people would want instead, the British decks (for myself mainly if I'm honest !!) and ARA 25 de Mayo, NAeL Minas Gerais.

Screen_210324_183920.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, crazyeddie said:

Somebody asked about the ARA Independencia - I have a partly finished deck for this ship which I never got around to completing. I finished the decks I thought people would want instead, the British decks (for myself mainly if I'm honest !!) and ARA 25 de Mayo, NAeL Minas Gerais.

Screen_210324_183920.png

I would not mind completing it. It only needs the green deck outside the landing strip, the V1 inscription at the bow  and the awkward triangle near the aft elevator...