SSLR - is it bugged, or will it always incur a 50% performance hit?

On 2/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, Hiob said:

It‘s not so easy because many settings have interdependencies or effect on each other. sslr in combination with AA will tank your fps more than without. E.g. my sweetspot currently is msaa 2x, ssaa 1,5x and sslr off (anisotropic filtering 8x and (!) ground shadows flat(!).

That is on an 4K gsync display. I can‘t stand the flickering of runway markings without any AA e.g.

Sure, no AA on 4k is lot less annoying than on HD but still gives a lot of benefit.

One of the most important things for me - especially in helicopter flying is ground shadows flat. On default, the flickering and pop in effect is annoying af.

SSAA *and* MSAA on a 4K display? Are you getting 13 FPS with an RTX 3090? 🙂

Kidding aside, DCS 2.7 seems to drastically reduce graphical detail as you look closer to the horizon. This means that near cities, airports etc. the "crawling" effect on edges of roads, buildings etc. gets really, really bad no matter what your display resolution is. It seems to be a desperate attempt to claw and scratch for higher framerates.

I use a 2560 x 1440 display and the crawling is awful without MSAA. It really sucks, because everything else looks so good now and runs well even on my older rig (spex 'n sig) and on the few occasions I actually fly a mission in DCS anymore, it's a distracting drag.

I'm certainly glad they fixed the yellow/black flashing bug and the propeller flickering, though. That *really* sucked. Unfortunately, the smoke/fire effect flashing & glitching seems to be back, and firing cannons at ground targets or using cluster bombs is giving atrocious framerate drops again.

It's how DCS has always been-fix one thing, break a few others 🙂

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

7 minutes ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

SSAA *and* MSAA on a 4K display? Are you getting 13 FPS with an RTX 3090? 🙂

It worked and gave me decent fps, but it was unclear at the time if ssaa actually did anything when running 4K. There was a discussion about it.

They removed the option for 4K later, so I think this is settled.

Now I only go with MSAA 2x.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

It worked and gave me decent fps, but it was unclear at the time if ssaa actually did anything when running 4K. There was a discussion about it.

They removed the option for 4K later, so I think this is settled.

Now I only go with MSAA 2x.

That sounds all right. I get better framerates with MSAA 2x, or even 4x, than I do with SSAA 1.5.  But, the MSAA options give me 'chunky' clouds and blocky features near the horizon, and that sucks.

MSAA 4x actually does a better job of removing the crawlies from ground features than SSAA, which is what I want--but, the chunkies suck.

Hooted if you do, hooted if you don't 🙂

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

10 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

Hooted if you do, hooted if you don't 🙂

Yes, even with high-end hardware, there are still compromises to make.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 9/11/2021 at 7:00 AM, Hiob said:

Yes, even with high-end hardware, there are still compromises to make.

I'm still think 2.7 is down-scaling the resolution as you get closer to the horizon, making things look chunky with MSAA.

I'm sure there's a workaround, I just haven't stumbled across it yet. Until then it's SSAA.

AD

Kit: