HOW CYCLIC OPS REALLY WORKS !!! by GB and Pieter

Pieterras

After great feedback from many about the Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS, where I tried to communicate real life experience from a good friend to the community, It got time for some of the advanced squadrons to learn a bit more about CYCLIC OPS. 

Whilst many enjoy the aspect of talking on the radio, nothing is more rewarding that conducting CYCLIC OPS, whilst ZIP-LIP.
Therefore it is of utmost important to understand all the basics of how a carrier is run during CYCLIC OPS and how certain procedures should be flown. 

What can I commence? Where do I descent? Who goes First? What speed do I fly? What if I am late or what if I am early ? Many of those questions are answered in the following document that again I could not have created without help of a good friend "GB".

The setup is a little different as it specifically focusses on Cyclic Ops, and will all be implemented in the next version the Carrier Operating Procedures. 

Cyclic Ops: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gCUyoDQ-DGGBCFEOvgpER9L1w7hc0TT5/view?usp=sharing

Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hShIyjq1Cf8MQSAcwk5k1IhSMdvqpUok/view?usp=sharing

I hope you guys enjoy and I would appreciate some feedback. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, Pieterras said:

After great feedback from many about the Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS, where I tried to communicate real life experience from a good friend to the community, It got time for some of the advanced squadrons to learn a bit more about CYCLIC OPS. 

Whilst many enjoy the aspect of talking on the radio, nothing is more rewarding that conducting CYCLIC OPS, whilst ZIP-LIP.
Therefore it is of utmost important to understand all the basics of how a carrier is run during CYCLIC OPS and how certain procedures should be flown. 

What can I commence? Where do I descent? Who goes First? What speed do I fly? What if I am late or what if I am early ? Many of those questions are answered in the following document that again I could not have created without help of a good friend "GB".

The setup is a little different as it specifically focusses on Cyclic Ops, and will all be implemented in the next version the Carrier Operating Procedures. 

Cyclic Ops: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gCUyoDQ-DGGBCFEOvgpER9L1w7hc0TT5/view?usp=sharing

Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hShIyjq1Cf8MQSAcwk5k1IhSMdvqpUok/view?usp=sharing

I hope you guys enjoy and I would appreciate some feedback. 

Thank you and GB for your work! going to save this for download when arrive home from work. Love to read/study/learn from the real deal (i love carrier ops).

i wish you the best,

Thank you once again.

Best regards from Lisbon, Portugal.

F.

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 1 month later...

Having lived the life onboard the Constellation, this is very good. Cyclic ops were much easier on everyone than flex deck. We had one Tomcat squadron, there Charlie hornet squadrons. One prowler, S-3, E2, and SH-60 squadron. 
each cycle for us usually had 4 shooters and one spare of 14’s for each launch. Each hornet squadron had three shooters and a spare. Every launch had one s-3 tanker, one E-2, and one prowler. If we were training for ASW they would shoot another S-3. And of course the rescue helo. The only plane that would ever yo-yo was the E-2 and that was dictated by the maintenance status of the other hulls. We also had a ES-3 squadron but they did not go every launch. 

it was a beautiful thing to watch. Bring the hornets on the bow down and spin them to either the waist or bow cats. E-2 went first then the tanker. 14’s and prowler then the bulk of the hornets. A couple might have gone early to clear room depending on if the had the gas for what they had to do. Waist cats wrapped with about 3 to 5 more to shoot off the bow and the recovery began for the previous cycle. Planes would be in the break as the waist was wrapping. 
great way to spend your youth. Loved every minute of it. 12 to 18 hour work days and it always went fast. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, lharv71 said:

A quick question: Carriers being ships must also get somewhere or move, so if a cycle is say 1 +30, how is this divided between sailing into the wind, and then moving to the next waypoint or am I missing something here?

The ship has what's called a PIM (position of intended movement). We would turn into the wind to launch and recover. Immediately after the recovery, she turns back to whatever course she's supposed to be on. Wash, rinse, repeat! She can't stay out of PIM too long. It has something to do with how we are tracked by higher authority. I hope that answered your question.

• Thanks 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

On 9/9/2021 at 1:57 PM, lharv71 said:

A quick question: Carriers being ships must also get somewhere or move, so if a cycle is say 1 +30, how is this divided between sailing into the wind, and then moving to the next waypoint or am I missing something here?

We would also pour on the coals at night when flight ops were finished and head in the intended direction.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...