Stuck at mission 1

johodg

Hi,

I follow every instruction and taxi behind the F5e. He stops in front of a soldier close to runway and remains there. I have tried to wait but no luck. Ive tried to take off on both runways(as trial an error) but no luck. Ive even flown the route rusulting in a "dogfight" with no enemy aircraft.

What am I suppose to do and why is this not described in the manual or via instructions in game?

Such things like fouling around and trying to find a mission trigger really destroys the immersion... 

It isnt "complicated" - you have very clear and crips instructions on your top right corner. You have to tune in the deperature frequency or use button 4 (guess it was that) and then hit spacebar. The F-5 will get permission to start and the soldier will move out of the way.

You tune the frequency buttons on your left console above the TACAN und below the frequency box.

• Like 1

Like Matthew says. 

Gator asks you to switch to ch4 (Nellis tower), then you get a blip sound and a message to remind you of this. Switch to channel 4 and stop behind Gator.  He’ll wait for you to finish your checklist then ask for takeoffclearance. 

You always need to make sure you're on the correct radio channel, otherwise you won't hear radio transmissions. But there's always an on screen message to remind you of this in case you miss the radio transmission that tells you to switch channels.

Edited by Reflected

Thanx for answers. Of course I did tune to channel 4. But I was not aware that I needed to have stopped behing Gator when doing so and also do the checklist exactly at that point. 

I will try this and it will probably work but maybe you should build in some "gatekeeping" functionality if some triggers is not trigged. In my case(the third time I tried) I flew almost the whole mission with all communications but without gator in the air... 🙂

• Thanks 1

Gator is your lead, so you just need to follow him, like the message at the beginning says. That also means not overtaking him and taking off before him 🙂

You don't do the checklist exactly at that point, Jester starts it shortly after you start rolling.

Check this thread, it also helps you with the procedures:

Edited by Reflected

I had read that navigation help and of course I followed the instruction to not pass Gator. But after waiting for minutes at the runway with gator stopped in front of a soldier I was thinking that I should pass him after all so tried that and when the dialog continued I thought that maybe it was designed this way.

You all need to understand that it is very hard to know exactly what is right and what wrong in scripted missions especially if things suddenly goes wrong(according to the design) but for me (not nowing the design) its not obvious.

If I had knew via instructions that if Gator is stucked: "do not takeoff (as trial and error) Instead stopp the mission and retry", I had done so... 🙂

• Thanks 1

Good news, I got it right and had no problem at all!! Thanx!

Some other question that I have tried to find answers for but had no luck:

* Can I somehow map the space button(for conversation ack) to joystick? Space key is now mapped to trigger first detant but pressing that wont acknowlede mission/Jester conversations etc.

* In Jester menu I find  the waypoints as usual but where to find the gates?

29 minutes ago, johodg said:

Good news, I got it right and had no problem at all!! Thanx!

Some other question that I have tried to find answers for but had no luck:

* Can I somehow map the space button(for conversation ack) to joystick? Space key is now mapped to trigger first detant but pressing that wont acknowlede mission/Jester conversations etc.

* In Jester menu I find  the waypoints as usual but where to find the gates?

Glad it works!

1) That's a great idea, but not currently possible in DCS. You can use voice attack, though, that helps.

2) Check the kneeboard cards. F-14s can only store 3 waypoints. The rest of the navigation points are stored as FP, ST, IP, etc... you'll find more details in the navigation help thread. It's good to have keyboard shortcuts to ask Jester, rather than fiddling with the wheel menu.

Kneeboard_a.jpg

Edited by Reflected

Ok, I read something about this in the doc but I did not understand that I should look for the whole name in Jester menu (so I was looking for the shortcuts 🙂 )

I´ve done a couple of missions now and it´s really good and I have a much better understanding for the F14 already! And very good with all the voiceovers they really contribute to the immersive.

One thing though. It seems like we will use the exakt same route and range throughout the whole campaign. As there are other gates on the kneeboard it had been good training to use them as well to get some navigation variation. But maybe the missions themselves will be the variation instead? 

Also I use VR so keyboard shortcuts are not so usable for Jester. 😉

4 minutes ago, johodg said:

Ok, I read something about this in the doc but I did not understand that I should look for the whole name in Jester menu (so I was looking for the shortcuts 🙂 )

I´ve done a couple of missions now and it´s really good and I have a much better understanding for the F14 already! And very good with all the voiceovers they really contribute to the immersive.

One thing though. It seems like we will use the exakt same route and range throughout the whole campaign. As there are other gates on the kneeboard it had been good training to use them as well to get some navigation variation. But maybe the missions themselves will be the variation instead? 

Glad it works and you're getting better.

The route remains the same, just like it would have been in real life. Real life military flying = lots of repetitive procedures. Anyway you'll have the briefing and the task to concentrate on, do the checklists and prepare a good gameplan. There would be no point in taking a different route each time, and it would be highly unrealistic too.

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Vino said:

I'm also stuck at the mission 1. After I shoot the lead down, nothing happens. What I'm supposed to do? Thanks. 🙂

In the first round? He should have called you to rejoin over point india for a 2nd round. But you need to be on the proper radio channels to hear it, that is, 1 and 14.

4 minutes ago, Vino said:

Might be a stupid question, but I can control only one radio. Should I order Jester to switch to channel one? 😂

Yes, your radios can set to different sets of frequencies (the RIO has access to a greater range). Either use the Jester wheel or jump in the back and set it yourself.

Edit - I haven't flown the campaign yet but the frequencies should be stated in the documentation. Jester can have different presets for the same channel than the pilot, but that's up to the mission designer)

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Damn I suck. Argh. I don't know anything about navigating with the cat. I know how to switch the waypoints, but that's it. How am I supposed to go to point India? I need very simple instructions. I'm not a native english speaker...

• Thanks 1