F-14A pitch & power couple bit much?

Skysurfer

Maybe I am the only one having issues all of a sudden but I find ball-flying and getting on speed in general fairly difficult in the 14A. I can be perfectly trimmed out and very slight power adjustments will significantly throw off my alpha - even DLC bursts seem to have pretty noticeable effects on your AOA compared to the B. I understand how having engines mounted below your CG affects pitch & power moments but after flying the 14B around the boat and on fields, on speed, without issues for a year this seems to really throw me off all of a sudden.

Any thoughts? 

12 minutes ago, fat creason said:

More landing config handling changes are coming too, just after I can get this performance and drag re-do finished.

Good stuff. Any chance the ground handling, mainly the tire friction and ground idle thrust will be addressed after that?

6 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Good stuff. Any chance the ground handling, mainly the tire friction and ground idle thrust will be addressed after that?

Would also really love for this to be addressed, Natops says that 80% to get rolling then idle is enough to maintain taxi speeds. You feel glued to the ground in DCS. 

• Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

6 minutes ago, fat creason said:

Will take a look eventually but can't make any guarantees on the outcome.

Just for reference, the MIg-29, F-16 etc. all have a correct feel and ground friction coefficient to them and can taxi on idle power for prolonged periods. Currently the landing distances of the Tomcat are very much too short due to said overwhelming ground friction. Something that has sadly been there since the day of release.

4 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

Just for reference, the MIg-29, F-16 etc. all have a correct feel and ground friction coefficient to them and can taxi on idle power for prolonged periods. Currently the landing distances of the Tomcat are very much too short due to said overwhelming ground friction. Something that has sadly been there since the day of release.

They also don't operate on carriers. We're limited to a handful of parameters provided by ED that we can adjust.

Edited by fat creason
  • Like 3

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

1 minute ago, fat creason said:

They also don't operate on carriers. We're limited to parameters provided by ED that we can adjust.

True, but the Hornet and Su-33 do and behave very similarly. From some shenanigans I did the 16 and 29 also taxi just fine on a moving ship without sliding or anything. 😛 Might wanna have a talk with ED's guy who did he ground physics and see what can be done.

• Like 1

Like I said, we'll take a look eventually but can make no guarantee on the outcome. A large amount of time was spent on this (not by me) initially to prevent strange deck behavior, but this was early on in DCS carrier ops, pre-Hornet. Things may have changed regarding deck physics that ED has not informed us of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

On 2/13/2021 at 9:06 AM, Skysurfer said:

Damn, and here I thought I was just crushing the short field landing game in the Tomcat.