Help with F16 ILS

westr

Hi could someone help with the ILS on the F16

I've followed tutorials to the letter ensuring the frequencies are set on the DED TACAN and ILS both set ON T/R Tacan On for ILS. Set PLS/TCN on HSI set my course, the needles show but are off and seemed locked like they would be on the A10 if you don't uncage the HSI, It seems like that's the case because their is a red marker on the HSI and two red markers on my artificial horizon.

Could someone explain where i'm going wrong?   

Edit: I've worked out that it seems like when I set the TACAN channel first it was stopping the ILS signal and I was not getting the ILS signal.

I set ILS to On without setting TACAN then got an ILS morse code which I couldn't get before, then I was able to get everything working. I could then set my TACAN channel without it interfering with the ILS. Strange, but I've worked it out. 

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Like Florence201 said the ILS will uncage.

Couple of tips from an old KC-10 driver that likes flying the Viper in DCS

1) The DCS:Vipers HUD is in True or I can't find the button to switch to MAG, the reason I say this is if you put RWY Heading without MAG Deviation you know that the ILS should be aligned to runway heading

2) Make sure the ILS works for that runway, a lot of terrains give you ILS course and frequency but it doesn't work yet maybe in the future

3) Give yourself room to stop. The Viper is one of the Trickiest planes to land.  It's not impossible but you need to bring your A-Game till the Viper stops completely.  Narrow wheel base, little speedbrakes, and wheel brakes that are best used for taxiing than landing rollout

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

23 minutes ago, ruddy122 said:

1) The DCS:Vipers HUD is in True or I can't find the button to switch to MAG, the reason I say this is if you put RWY Heading without MAG Deviation you know that the ILS should be aligned to runway heading

This is not true. The heading you enter into the ILS page is not used for regular ILS approaches and does not need to be entered. It is used for a special ILS approach mode that is not currently implemented.

6 hours ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

This is not true. The heading you enter into the ILS page is not used for regular ILS approaches and does not need to be entered. It is used for a special ILS approach mode that is not currently implemented.

You need to enter the ILS heading for command steering bars/bug to show you L/R deviation from course. Without a heading, reference you’ll not get correct information 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, Florence201 said:

You need to enter the ILS heading for command steering bars/bug to show you L/R deviation from course. Without a heading, reference you’ll not get correct information 

True, if you don't enter an course you will not be able to use the command steering cue, and you will not be able to use the HSI in a standard way, however it has no effect on the actual glideslope nor the localize meaning that if you're not interested in using the HSI nor the command steering cue there is no reason to enter the course. The ADI will function equally with or without the course.

ok so I can get this to work on the PG map but not on Caucasus? really confusing. I've tried Kolki, ensured wind direction is facing me so ATC tells me to land on runway 9. Tune ILS to 108.90 flying all the way to the runway but get no ILS signal? Tacan works fine.  

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Check the airfield on F10 map, no all runways have ILS.

• Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kolkhi does on runway 09, well according to F10 map it does. Same thing on Kobuleti 07. I have Caucasus textures mod installed I wonder i this is effecting things? 

Edited by westr

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

im having big trouble also intercepting and maintaining the localizer mainly and glide slope in Al Dafra Persian Gulf. I've been practising ILS in visual conditions just to be sure. I inputted the correct rwy 13 ILS into freq in T-ILS. I even asked Al Dafra ATC where to land, he said rw 13. (this could be good or bad because theres left and right thirteen actually there) Ok, so then I turn back north towards the coast and use TACAN to lineup with airbase for a straight in landing. Then I change the EHSI into PLS TACN mode for intercepting the localizer. Im on perfect approach to one of the runways 13 (there left). I intercept localizer but not yet glide slope. Then the localizer just goes crazy on approach basically.

Edited by Steelpanther

9 hours ago, westr said:

ok so I can get this to work on the PG map but not on Caucasus? really confusing. I've tried Kolki, ensured wind direction is facing me so ATC tells me to land on runway 9. Tune ILS to 108.90 flying all the way to the runway but get no ILS signal? Tacan works fine.  

Both worked forme just now. Make sure ILS is on and the HSI set to PLS/ TCN.

Pix where taken on OB, Airstart and default Weather/ no Wind.

ILS_210216.jpg

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

im gonna try it on PG map also again. I think the mission editor should show the ILS approaches and frequencies there at least. Im not sure if those show on f10 map once youre in the actual mission- I think Al Dafra has the problem that theres two runways 13 L and 13 R and only one ILS frequency shows for one of these on the F10 map ingame. Not sure if this is supposed to be this way. I just made a custom mission for myself on PG and it only shows one ILS for rw13

Edited by Steelpanther

9 hours ago, =52d= Skip said:

Both worked forme just now. Make sure ILS is on and the HSI set to PLS/ TCN.

Pix where taken on OB, Airstart and default Weather/ no Wind.

ILS_210216.jpg

Yes definitely had ILS on. I turned the rotation switch fully to the left to confirm it actually switched off then turned it back the other way and can see it’s on on the ded, yes also have PLS/TCN mode on. Like I say I can get it working on the PG map. I will try uninstalling the Caucasus textures mod this evening and see if that fixes anything, can’t see how that would be effecting ILS but you never know. A repair might be needed as well. 

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

yeah just done a couple of tests can confirm that its the wind that's causing it not to work, is this a known issue? Just seen your earlier post so inputting a head wind 7 or higher might be a workaround?

Well done drPhibes, set a headwind speed of 8kts and ILS works thanks.

Edited by westr

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

9 minutes ago, westr said:

yeah just done a couple of tests can confirm that its the wind that's causing it not to work, is this a known issue? Just seen your earlier post so inputting a head wind 7 or higher might be a workaround?

Yes, a known issue for some time. Hope they fix this soon.

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2021 at 12:54 PM, Davee said:

Yes, a known issue for some time. Hope they fix this soon.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:09 AM, Jef Costello said:

For years now! A very old bug.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:09 AM, Jef Costello said:

For years now! A very old bug.

I've been trying to learn the F-16 recently. I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with the ILS system and why I couldn't manage to set up such a ridiculously simple task.

It's frustrating the amount of bugs that have been know for years in DCS but never fixed. None of the videos I watched or documents I read mentioned this bug.

ILS approaches are such a core fundamental of flight, especially in the military application. I feel like this bug should be a high priority.

This post is old and many patches ago. Last post from OP is from a year ago. Op might have fixed it and not posted 🙂

• Like 2

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Hi, not seeing any issues here please attach a short track replay and we can take a look 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

23 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, not seeing any issues here please attach a short track replay and we can take a look 

thanks

Hey BN, Looks like an very old thread :). Since OP has not reacted, it might not be an issue anymore 🙂

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

understood, 

I will lock the thread so there is no confusion. 

If you do have an issue please make a new thread with a track replay 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2