[SOLVED] What should happen when the TPOD rotates around its center gimbal point?

Fri13

That is showing how TPOD being the designator creates a new target point randomly because TPOD rotates around it gimbal centroid (boresight).

It can be seen on the video how the target is still the BTR just moment when the TD becomes FOV of the HUD, but on the moment the TPOD boresight position is reached and the TPOD rotates with its wide turn radius and moves the TD position (as TPOD is the designator) elsewhere.

I was caught by surprise that BTR didn't get destroyed as I looked on the moment elsewhere as I was estimating the range to target and questioning AGR-20A capability to turn on target from that angle in time, only to be wondering that here did the BTR go.

In a A-10C I remember that TPOD rotating around its boresight position didn't have so wide "dead-zone" and cause the TPOD aim at totally different position. As the screen edges were always visible and you saw only the video roll happen as the edges (square) rotated.

Could someone explain to me the TPOD mechanism in Harrier why in it, does it perform so crazy movement?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Issue is you have it in MT which is not implemented at this time and functions the same as PT or point track. If you are doing masking or have the TGP over boresight as you demonstrated, having the TGP track on PT with not re-center on the point you made, rather if it is in AR Area Track, it will. Also, that roll in was far too low and you probably would have been better off disengaging and getting in a better position for the attack. You would only use a lay up like that If you were using unguided munitions or doing a 15/10 pop up gun run. Definitely the wrong maneuver to employ the AGR-20A

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

5 hours ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Issue is you have it in MT which is not implemented at this time and functions the same as PT or point track.

It doesn't matter is it PT, MT, AR or INR mode, the TPOD Gimball will move the target designation even to 54 nmi up in the sky.

If you are doing masking or have the TGP over boresight as you demonstrated, having the TGP track on PT with not re-center on the point you made, rather if it is in AR Area Track, it will.

No matter what mode it is, it get shifted by the gimbal at forward and backward.

Also, that roll in was far too low and you probably would have been better off disengaging and getting in a better position for the attack.

It is not about attack, but about the TPOD gimbal behavior. Not a user error if you try that.

You would only use a lay up like that If you were using unguided munitions or doing a 15/10 pop up gun run. Definitely the wrong maneuver to employ the AGR-20A

There is nothing wrong in the AGR-20A, but the TPOD gimbal behavior is wrong and no matter of the mode will redesignate targets at its own will all around the places.

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

Im not getting the TPOD to go off in AR track, if I mask and am in PT or MT then it does slew off of where I had it tracked. Im also not having my T0 shifted when the gimbal rolls over. So I'm gonna need a trk to better deduce what you're doing because head-shakiness from the VR is hard to tell whats going on.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [TRK FILE REQ.] What should happen when the TPOD rotates around its center gimbal point?

As in my reply, there is the link to the bug report post that I asked you to move to this sub-forum almost two weeks ago with a ping. It has the track file as well the video from the happening.

We can as well see the proper TPOD logic in the Wags presentation:

https://youtu.be/mO_rjqFyMUY?t=197

The PT, AR or MT modes should move target designation when TPOD is masked, not when they move across the gimbal. And the INR mode should lock the TPOD on the position so when you maneuver or you mask the target area then it will not move elsewhere as the TPOD purpose is to point where the INS registered coordinates are, not what is seen (contrast lock in point, target or area modes).

There are problems in the:

- TAMMAC moving map.

- Aircraft INS system.

- System Target designation.

- TPOD gimbal.

- TPOD contrast lock logic.

- TPOD TP/AR/MT and INS modes.

- DMT/TPOD designation

- Possible lack of TPOD video rotation (https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/260713-vewy-interast-gun-acoustics-still-sound-too-low-rate-of-fire)

All about why with the TPOD (or ARBS/TV or ARBS/INS) the system target designation can jump or shift around depending the aircraft attitude, does the designation come near gimbals etc. And one of the likely root causes is that the target is falsely designated perfectly on the ground and can be moved without user input or target input, and lack of the proper modeling for mechanism that avoids the mistaken designations with laser spot tracker or when masked etc.

• AlphaJuliet changed the title to [SOLVED] What should happen when the TPOD rotates around its center gimbal point?