Canopy fogging

Tiger-II

Hi,

I performed an unrestricted climb last night, and was unable to see out the canopy passing about 20000 ft. I used defog, but it took about 5 minutes to clear enough to see while at 45000 ft.

Is there any way to prevent fogging before it happens?

• Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

15 hours ago, Tiger-II said:

Hi,

I performed an unrestricted climb last night, and was unable to see out the canopy passing about 20000 ft. I used defog, but it took about 5 minutes to clear enough to see while at 45000 ft.

Is there any way to prevent fogging before it happens?

You can change your cabin temp gradually and adjust it. That way you can prevent fog, at least for certain altitudes

• Thanks 1

There’s a ‘defog’ button on the ECS panel, right hand side of the cockpit. Press that =)

The defogger is loud, but it’s automatic. Simply press the button, the canopy will defog and eventually the defogger will shut off. I use the defogger around 12k on my initial climb to prevent the problem from developing. I’ve found that if I wait until the canopy starts to visibly fog the canopy winds up fogging over before the system starts to work. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, I used that.

I guess I'm not using it soon enough!

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 4 weeks later...

While I love the small details like this, it is over modeled, in that it fogs up way too fast or in ways that the actual temp/dewpoint would not allow. I would personally like these to be an option that I could turn on/off in the settings menu for the module. That and the "freezing pilot" feature.

Edited by PetRock
words

3 hours ago, PetRock said:

I would personally like these to be an option that I could turn on/off in the settings menu for the module. That and the "freezing pilot" feature.

Good news for you, they’re adding that in the next patch. Lol

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree, the fog thing is great guys, turn on the defog at climb and it never fogs.

If at any point the defogger is annoying turn ecs off and on again and the defogger stops immediately.

What i like is that on unrestricted climbs the canopy fogs badly which corresponds to the abrupt change in external temp.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...