Nose Gear Tires closer together than in real life

Matze81

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but I noticed a while ago, that the two nose gear tires of the Tomcat in DCS seem to be closer together than they actually were in real life.

The camera angles of the attached comparison screenshots are not always perfectly matched, but they should still make it clear what I mean.

The whole thing is certainly not a biggie, just a small discrepancy I'd say, but maybe HB still would like to add it to their list of small fixes (with very low priority of course).

But anyway, the DCS Tomcat is glorious either way! Thanks a lot for all the effort and attention to detail you pump into that module. It really shows and one can "feel" the difference (hard to explain that one...).

DCS F-14 Nose Gear Comparison.jpg

Edited by Matze81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Matze81 changed the title to Nose Gear Tires closer together than in real life

Fairy certain this is a variant thing. Same thing with early tomcats having different ECM antennas, the front landing gear is a little different. Also, could be a different tire, in which the rim connection point is further into the tire.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Edited by BreaKKer

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

19 minutes ago, BreaKKer said:

Fairy certain this is a variant thing. Same thing with early tomcats having different ECM antennas, the front landing gear is a little different. Also, could be a different tire, in which the rim connection point is further into the tire.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

It’s not a variant thing, since the top right comparison photo in my original post is also an F-14D. 

The tires in the photos you posted do seem a bit fuller, which indeed could make a difference, but they still seem further apart than in-game. I’m sure if I’ll try to recreate a similar camera angle in-game it would confirm it.  

2 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Good find. I still wonder how there can be so many issues with the model and various geometries being wrong when they scanned an actual Tomcat? 

Yeah I don’t understand this myself, we’re still missing quite a bit. The ECM blisters I can sort of understand, but the ALQ-100 antenna nub not being on the TCS seems like it would of been such an easy thing for HB to add.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

1 minute ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Yeah I don’t understand this myself, we’re still missing quite a bit. The ECM blisters I can sort of understand, but the ALQ-100 antenna nub not being on the TCS seems like it would of been such an easy thing for HB to add.

Yeah. I mean, we still have typos in the cockpit and some hydraulic gauges not animated, TCS internals being untextured etc. Guess it's just a matter of priorities (hopefully) and it will get addressed once the big tickets items are done. 

8 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Reference jet for the TCS is 99% 161134 at Valiant Air:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason/f-14a_161134/index.php?Page=2

Displayed with a bullet fairing, probably swapped the TCS out when it was stricken. Block 110 jet so it should have ALQ-100 in the housing but it may have had a different housing switched in when it went for loan to the museum.

Interestingly that jet has the older beaver tail we'd need for the -95 and also lacks the -126 ECM antennas. It's one of the 3 reference jets, another A and a D were used.

It looks like there were a number of TCS housings used on later As, challenge is finding the right ones for the B and separately for a -95 or -135. And many jets shipped with bullet fairings.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Further inspection, the TCS we have incorporates the ALQ-100. Not seeing what is missing here. There's a small fin antenna I see in some photos but that's not the -100 itself. The lower portion of our TCS has the correct red position light then the alq-100 housing with a bare front area, just like on 161134. This looks to be the same shape of B models I'm seeing from the late 90s.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

1 hour ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Further inspection, the TCS we have incorporates the ALQ-100. Not seeing what is missing here. There's a small fin antenna I see in some photos but that's not the -100 itself. The lower portion of our TCS has the correct red position light then the alq-100 housing with a bare front area, just like on 161134. This looks to be the same shape of B models I'm seeing from the late 90s.

From what I’ve read that is because in nearly all museum birds it was either removed or broken off. As it had a habit of grabbing people. But the small fin antenna is apart of the ALQ-100 system and is present on all fleet F-14A/B’s that I can find with the TCS housing installed. 

Edited by Gunslinger22

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

• 3 months later...

The main gear rims are also too (in diameter) compared to the RL aircraft, since you're checking... 😉

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s