Su-25T brakes

mastershotgun

Believe it or not, it's kind of realistic. Take a look at your flight stick, and you'll see a large lever, like a bicycle brake, next to it. This is how you control the brakes in the real aircraft. In fact, in the real plane, it's even worse, because there's no nosewheel steering. So how do you control the plane's direction? Well, there are separate wheelbrakes. To activate one of them, you press the brake lever, and then push the rudder pedals in the desired direction, which will release the brake on the side away from the rudder. It's as clumsy and difficult to use as it sounds.

You'll also find the MiG-29 has no separate brake axes. Sure enough, all MiGs, all the way back to the WWII MiG-3, use the pneumatic brake system. If you want to experience this system in all its fiddly, imprecise glory, buy any of the full fidelity MiGs available, be it -15, -19, -21 or the upcoming -23 or -29. If you're into WWII, you can also buy the Spitfire, as the British also used this system in WWII (dunno about afterwards, at least the Harrier does have normal wheelbrakes).

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

this is already reported, I have asked the team for an update.

thank you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 2/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Believe it or not, it's kind of realistic. Take a look at your flight stick, and you'll see a large lever, like a bicycle brake, next to it. This is how you control the brakes in the real aircraft. In fact, in the real plane, it's even worse, because there's no nosewheel steering. So how do you control the plane's direction? Well, there are separate wheelbrakes. To activate one of them, you press the brake lever, and then push the rudder pedals in the desired direction, which will release the brake on the side away from the rudder. It's as clumsy and difficult to use as it sounds.

image.png

There is no brake lever (at least modeled) for Su-25T. How does it brake is then the question. As pedals doesn't seem to have a second and third axis for pedal braking.

But the brake handle design is not bad or difficult.

Taxiing, rolling etc:

1) Full pedal to wanted direction

2) Apply wanted braking force with brake handle, when wanted to go straight, just release it as front wheel is a caster.

Landing:

1) Apply braking power with brake handle to stop.

2) To apply more braking force to one side, move pedal more to that direction.

In Take-Off the rudder becomes effective fairly soon, and you steer with it using just pedals.

At the start of rolling you can apply some brake with lever if pedal is not enough alone.

In a Su-27S Sukhoi moved to pedal braking, or nosewheel steering, but even that doesn't have a braking button or braking with controlled fashion. It has a tiny pinky lever at front of stick but it couldn't be used to control how much force you use for braking.

On 2/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

You'll also find the MiG-29 has no separate brake axes. Sure enough, all MiGs, all the way back to the WWII MiG-3, use the pneumatic brake system. If you want to experience this system in all its fiddly, imprecise glory, buy any of the full fidelity MiGs available, be it -15, -19, -21 or the upcoming -23 or -29. If you're into WWII, you can also buy the Spitfire, as the British also used this system in WWII (dunno about afterwards, at least the Harrier does have normal wheelbrakes).

It actually works very well when you have a VKB MCG Pro with the proper brake lever axis. Great accuracy, easy to use and effective. It is many ways more accurate than using a Hornet or Harrier to do the taxiing braking as your legs does only one thing. But because NWS in those aircraft, you don't use brakes than stop, and then you need to apply both feets instead just one handle.

It is little split opinion about it as in tight places it is nice to have NWS HI mode available, but then in landings and taxiing it is nice to have one lever.

One thing is sure that when taking-off and sidewind push you to side and rudder is not enough, in Harrier, Hornet etc it is far more annoying to give a extra pedal twist for applying brake on that side as you have leg extended forward.

And while many dislikes the pedal types where whole feet is on the pedal, and prefers to have heels on the ground as "this is how it is realistically", it is only true for some western aircraft. Like Harrier example has as well whole feet in the pedal and heels are not on the floor. Similar thing is with some other aircraft since WW2. So there is no "one realistic way". Like the Su-25 pedals are heels on floor as well.

• Thanks 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Checked few of the real Su-25, Su-25SM and Su-25TM cockpit photos and all lacks at the time the stick grip braking handle.

The Su-27 is at least told to be changed to the pedal braking, and in the early phases the test pilots first whined about the new brake system and then they discussed about it and decided it was better as was.

So is it possible that Su-25 went the same route? Pedal braking for individual sides without the braking handle?

As it would explain why the pedals are taller with the toe parts, instead just pedal that gets middle of the boot.

So for Su-25A and Su-25T, we should get a Left Brake and Right Brake axis.

image.png 

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BUx5wEngExI/Xskjzv2jhdI/AAAAAAABIOU/sZK_78XITG8dpyHcejjl4RzYSscry1i6ACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/154366.jpg

So sure we would need to have a one "Both Brakes" axis, but we should as well have Left/Right axis separately.

It is as well questionable then that does the Su-25 have a nose wheel steering done by the pedals like Su-27S does?

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Maybe ask guys on a Russian part of forum (Google Translator). You could find real pilots answering questions there.

Yes - Grach need an update and some fixes. The one I waiting most is a program mode for gunpods.

Brakes? Nah... No need for brake in this bird.

• 1 month later...

The real Su-25 has nosewheel steering (it is modeled), which can be switched off and it also has differential braking on top of it. So it would make sense to have independently axis controlled wheel brakes. Nosewheel steering on/off would be also great (for takeoff and landings), but I doubt we will ever get it for FC3 plane.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • ED Team
16 minutes ago, dfoxpro said:

Hi Bignewy, Is there any update on this issue?

Also related, the su25(T) is missing the trim reset action; it'll be nice if ED fix those control/inputs inconsistencies

No update sorry, the teams are very busy. I will mention it to them again. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 11 months later...
2021/12/1 PM9点04分,BIGNEWY说:

No update sorry, the teams are very busy. I will mention it to them again. 

thanks

Hi Newy, sorry for bringing this old post up, but I bought the Su-25 lately and found this issue, please do take this as a little reminder, thank you and great thanks to all the team member of DCS.

I miss the old days when Novalogic's Comanche Gold is on 😄

• ED Team
1 hour ago, 1130 said:

Hi Newy, sorry for bringing this old post up, but I bought the Su-25 lately and found this issue, please do take this as a little reminder, thank you and great thanks to all the team member of DCS.

No problem, I have asked the team again. The report is still open, hopefully we will see it happen in the future. 

thank you