[RESOLVED] <TEST FILES AVAILABLE> MFD Text and symbology still messy with latest update VER 2.7.3.8494

JIGGAwest

****UPDATE 7.13.21*******

see files below

replace in your core DCS install folder. Backup up your original if you like.

Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\MPCD\indicator :
MPCD_definitions.lua

Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\Displays :(edited)
Display_StrokeDefs.lua

Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit :
materials.lua

Sorry to beat a dead horse here...

I know this has been posted serval times.  But, the solution to a previously offered "fix" is not clear or defined.

other posts related to this bug have been marked duplicate or FIX.

The recent update had made no change to this issue.

My setup:

4k main rendered screen

1920*1080 secondary rendered screen for MFD exports (dedicated screen)  700x700 MFD exports

This export setup works for all other aircraft I own modules.

The following solutions have been offered for MFD exports:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLUTION 1

@RAZBAM_ELMO posted:

From our lead dev on the matter:

"YEs it is a known issue. it is a problem with the stroke (SVG) system. Fortunately it can be fixed in code, but it is a case by case basis. What is happening is that we are using a fixed thickness and fuzziness value when the display is exported.

static const double thickness_fix = 1 / 0.8;
static const double fuzziness_fix = 1 / 0.5;

if (purpose == CURR_PURPOSE_GENERAL)
{
//Normal stroke processing for inscreen display
}
else
{
//Exported displays values
shaderLineVariableParams.thickness = 8.0 * thickness_fix;
shaderLineVariableParams.fuzziness = 3.0 * fuzziness_fix;
}

This solution looks like this may actually do something. But there is no reference as where to put this fix. I read every thread I could locate.

Not one filename, possible folder, or possible file location for where to make these changes. 

Would someone please identify the file or the folder to make this change?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution 2: This solution works for readability, but the STORES page is affected and you can't read the ordinance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NON Solution 3: This fix breaks my aircraft. folds the wheels on start and the cockpit is empty

I have to delete Display_StrokeDefs.LUA and run a DCS repair.

MFD issue.jpg

MPCD_definitions.lua materials.lua Display_StrokeDefs.lua

Edited by JIGGAwest
update

• JIGGAwest changed the title to MFD Text and symbology still messy and WORSE with latest update V2.7.1.6709

I have to add to this original post. 

The latest update has pretty much broke the Harrier exported MFD's for my setup. There was a fix working, I was using, and I could deal with it at that point.

Someone posted a MFD readability fix in the user files section, but this no longer works with the latest update. 

The imaken fix still works for me, but It will break the hot spot indicator from time to time requiring a slow repair of DCS. 

again my display setup;

Windows10 display settings:

display 1 3840x2160 120hz - 10bit RGB HDR on, scaling 100%

display 2 1920x1080  60hz - 10bit RGB SDR, scaling 100%

dcs render settings

3840x3240

monitor setup LUA:

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('MultiscreenBEST');
Description = 'Multiscreen MultiAircraft'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 3840;
          height = 2160;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 3840/2160;
     }
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

--/////////////////
-- BLACK SHARK - Shkval
--/////////////////

Shkval =
{
    x = 10;
    y = 2655;
    width = 700;
    height = 486;
}

--/////////////////
-- COMMON MFCD-CENTER
--/////////////////

CENTER_MFCD =
{
    x = 801;
    y = 2160;
    width = 426;
    height = 461;
}

--/////////////////
-- COMMON MFCD-RIGHT
--/////////////////

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
    x = 1215;
    y = 2540;
    width = 700;
    height = 700;
}
--/////////////////
-- BLACK SHARK - ABRIS
--/////////////////

ABRIS =
{
    x = 1295;
    y = 2540;
    width = 553;
    height = 700;
}
--/////////////////
-- COMMON MFCD-LEFT
--/////////////////

LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 10;
    y = 2540;
    width = 700;
    height = 700;
}

PXL_20210529_210136144.MP.jpg

Untitled.jpg

PXL_20210529_205510766._exported_1622321894734.jpg

Edited by JIGGAwest

• myHelljumper changed the title to [PENDING UPDATE] MFD Text and symbology still messy and WORSE with latest update V2.7.1.6709
9 hours ago, Gryzor said:

I´m sorry BUT It is not fixed in today´s patch

Yes, ED did not release any 3rd party change in the last update. We don't control when ED is pushing our changes into the OB.

The change should come out in the next 3rd party update :).

• Thanks 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report... In latest patch it is not fixed. Text in MFD are a blurry mess in VR. When can we have a fix???

3 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Tested in 2.7.2.7910.1 and EHSD fonts still seem to vibrate and are unreadable with the moving map on in VR.

Just to report... In latest patch it is not fixed. Text in MFD are a blurry mess in VR. When can we have a fix??? COME ON IT IS UNPLAYABLE NOW!!

I have a similar setup to the original poster (3840x2160 over a 1920x1080) and can confirm that the "fuzzy export text" is still a problem in the 2.7.2 Open Beta release:

Screen_210617_155941.jpg?dl=1

In close-up:

Screen_210617_155941_clip.jpg?dl=1

I have a fix for this that I normally apply after each update, but it involves editing 4 different LUA files and in the end is a compromise between minimal readability both in-cockpit and in exported viewport.  See this file for the edits (goes in mods\aircraft): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab0voeer0qpb92u/AV8BNA.zip?dl=1

After applying the above fix, the display looks thus:

Screen_210617_162328_clip_fixed.jpg?dl=1

Edited by Loophole
Clarification & example of fix effect & fix incorrect download link

Tested on Syria, PG and Caucasus 

syria seems the most „faded“ and very „skinny“ 

PG seems blurry , and I need to zoom in or move my head super close to read it , skinny text. 

caucasus same as PG 

Edited by Thanatos31

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

As posted on the other thread, these are the values I'm using to make the map "usable" (plus playing with gain and contrast based on map)

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\DisplaysDisplay_StrokeDefs.lua

stroke_thickness  = 0.5
stroke_fuzziness  = 0.4

-- Currently is used for DMC generated fonts black outline
DMC_outline_thickness = 0 -- stroke_thickness * 3
DMC_outline_fuzziness = 0 -- stroke_fuzziness * 1.1
DMC_stroke_thickness  = 0.65
DMC_stroke_fuzziness  = 0.42

-- MPCDs
-- MFDs
MPCD_stroke_thickness  = 2.0 -- 0.9
MPCD_stroke_fuzziness  = 0 -- 0.4
MPCD_outline_thickness  = 0 --MPCD_stroke_thickness * 3
MPCD_outline_fuzziness  = 0 --MPCD_stroke_fuzziness * 1.1

Edit: I'm a VR user, Oculus Quest 2 at max resolution, DCS PD at 1. I fly only in SP so I have no idea if this workaround pass IC. If any MP pilot knows, let us know.

Edited by Draken35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@myHelljumper (making sure this post is seem 🙂 )

First off, thanks for working on this! Might not be as fancy and as interesting as some other aspects of the simulation but those would be kind of point less if we cannot use the MPCDs.

Some feedback about 2.7.3.84.94.

1) I noticed that the fonts on most, if not all, of the screen are bigger and thicker. This helps a lot!

2) Default gain level if way too high still for the EHSD. Has to be reduced by several clicks 

3) The black outline around the symbols make them vibrate on VR. Fix posted about by me still works for me.

4) Night mode brightness seems too low. My work around is to switch to day mode and reduce brightness (MPCD top knob, not gain rocker)

5) MPCDs with VR Zoom are still quite fuzzy. Looks a lot better when getting closer to the MPCDs by leaning forward.

Overall, I count this patch as win on this regard. Thank you RAZBAM team!

• Like 2

Hello, i am new to the harrier and really like it so far. My one big problem is the readability of the MPCD in VR, especially the map. Even if i kiss the virtual display its hard to read any text. 🙁

I play in open beta with HP reverb G2 with VR optician lenses.

Darkstar: Merged

5 hours ago, horstweihrauch said:

Hello, i am new to the harrier and really like it so far. My one big problem is the readability of the MPCD in VR, especially the map. Even if i kiss the virtual display its hard to read any text. 🙁

I play in open beta with HP reverb G2 with VR optician lenses.

I see your post was merged to this thread. See my post (7 or 8 above this) of June 19th about some changes to a lua file and adjusting gain (a lot, 20 to 50 clicks) and contrast.

Those changes combined with the last patch works decently for me (Quest 2, also VR Optician lenses). With the is a lot easier to read the bigger symbols and to guess what the others are. I still need to go head down to read/guess the the smaller ones. VR zoom can be used in a hurry but is still kind of fuzzy for the MCPD.

• Thanks 1