[RESOLVED] <TEST FILES AVAILABLE> MFD Text and symbology still messy with latest update VER 2.7.3.8494

JIGGAwest

4 hours ago, Draken35 said:

I see your post was merged to this thread. See my post (7 or 8 above this) of June 19th about some changes to a lua file and adjusting gain (a lot, 20 to 50 clicks) and contrast.

Those changes combined with the last patch works decently for me (Quest 2, also VR Optician lenses). With the is a lot easier to read the bigger symbols and to guess what the others are. I still need to go head down to read/guess the the smaller ones. VR zoom can be used in a hurry but is still kind of fuzzy for the MCPD.

WOOOHOOO, togother with the gain adjustment it's a-ok now for me🙂

Darkstar: Merged

So I really liked @Draken35solution but some of the symbology was still getting a bit lost for me. I had a free evening just now so I spent a long time playing with values and loading up in VR. I reckon I've found a solution that works even better for me. Tested in VR on Reverb G2, 1.0PD and 90%SS. I also added comments on what I did and why in case that helps anyone else who wants to adjust for themselves. Now I can see everything clearly with no gain/contrast adjustment needed.

--Overall MOD Comment: Tested in VR on a Reverb G2 at 1.0PD, and 90% Steam SS. YMMV

--MOD Comment: These are used for the HUD, the current values look too thick so I reduced them by 50% to give a cleaner look
stroke_thickness  = 0.25 --0.5
stroke_fuzziness  = 0.2 --0.4

--MOD Comment: As far as I can tell, the DMC is just used for the route lines (OL2, TERM, NSEQ). I couldn't work out
--how to get an outline to appear for TERM or NSEQ (I looked at the other lua files but no joy), so adjusted this last to get them about
--the same thickness as the other lines on the EHSD. I also changed the order to define the outline thickness based off
--the stroke thickness not the HUD thickness above.
-- Currently is used for DMC generated fonts black outline
--DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 3
--DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 1.1
DMC_stroke_thickness  = 8 --0.65
DMC_stroke_fuzziness  = 4 --0.42 
DMC_outline_thickness = DMC_stroke_thickness*0.25 
DMC_outline_fuzziness = DMC_stroke_fuzziness*0.1

--MOD Comment: These are for the MPCD symbology. I think it looks too thick and blurry, however when you make it thinner
--it becomes less readable and gets lost in the background. Therefore I made it thinner by half whilst simultaneously
--increasing the outline thickness so things are still visible. I think this gives the best contrast of sharpness and
--readability.
-- MPCDs
-- MFDs
MPCD_stroke_thickness  = 0.5 --0.9
MPCD_stroke_fuzziness  = 0.25 --0.4
MPCD_outline_thickness  = MPCD_stroke_thickness * 5 -- MPCD_stroke_thickness * 3 
MPCD_outline_fuzziness  = MPCD_stroke_fuzziness * 3 -- MPCD_stroke_fuzziness * 1.1

Edited by Shiroka
  • Like 1

@Shiroka Nice research there!

One thing that I noticed recently is that the font in the MPCD is sort of transparent. You can see map lines going under the symbols and I was thinking that, perhaps that is the reason for the  outline and was planning on experimenting with it again by increasing the size of it instead of eliminating it. My problem with the outline is that it makes the symbols "vibrate"  and illegible .

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317400/

I combined the stuff I posted above with some of the changes from the files that were posted on the RAZBAM discord yesterday.
This worked wonders for me in VR in a G2, thank you. Quite why fixes like this need to come from "customers" I don't understand.
  • Like 2

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

6 hours ago, zildac said:
On 7/8/2021 at 2:30 PM, Shiroka said:

I combined the stuff I posted above with some of the changes from the files that were posted on the RAZBAM discord yesterday.

This worked wonders for me in VR in a G2, thank you. Quite why fixes like this need to come from "customers" I don't understand.

No problem, glad I could help. It still looks pretty bad if you set the MPCDs to night (probably actually worse), but my next task is to see if I can do anything about that!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 11:33 PM, zildac said:
On 7/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, Shiroka said:

pretty sure this was actually posted by Razbam as a "test" in their discord , and will be rolled out with an update soon. The consolidation and adaptation from Shiroka is of course a bonus. ( havent tested it myself) 

• Like 1

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

Hey guys,

We are working on resolving this issue and we think we did a good job with the font readability.

See the following files :

To place in Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\MPCD\indicator

MPCD_definitions.lua

To place in Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit

materials.lua

To place in Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\Displays

Display_StrokeDefs.lua

Be sure to back-up the old files before using these ones.

We are still working on other improvement like the day/night mode issue and the gain/brightness switches.

Edited by myHelljumper
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

1 hour ago, myHelljumper said:

Hey guys,

We are working on resolving this issue and we think we did a good job with the font readability.

See the following files :

To place in Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\MPCD\indicator

MPCD_definitions.lua 14.89 kB · 0 downloads

To place in Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit

materials.lua 29.17 kB · 1 download

To place in Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\Displays

Display_StrokeDefs.lua 457 B · 0 downloads

Be sure to back-up the old files before using these ones.

We are still working on other improvement like the day/night mode issue and the gain/brightness switches.

Are those the same posted in discord the other day?

Those changes are really a (big) step forward... I'm still not convinced about the black outline, but as long as it is easy to remove, I'm good with it (matter of personal preferences I guess). 

Please, don't forget about the vibration effect in VR. It affects the EHSD map (looks more noticeable in some map tiles than other, haven't found a pattern) but it is present in both MPCDs regardless of the page that is displayed. The vibration makes the black outlined font in the map hard to read for me in VR.

I'm running the MPCD_definitions & materials files posted in discord plus my display_strokesdef and it is very good, removed the vibration and it will be very close to the Hornet's displays. 

Edited by Draken35

• JIGGAwest changed the title to [PENDING UPDATE] <TEST FILES AVAILABLE> MFD Text and symbology still messy with latest update VER 2.7.3.8494
  • 4 weeks later...

Update is I have mostly resolved this issue thanks to a mod that sorts out both the HUD and the MPCD fuzzy thick font (without zooming in which is spot on) so I am happy with that until the devs fix this. It appears to only affect users of higher resolution monitors and VR from what I've read. I tried playing with the Gain etc but it didn't work, this mod is a great temporary fix and works I would say perfectly with the HUD which is now as good as the Mirage.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, AlphaJuliet said:

Should be fixed for most hardawares, we are working on a way for you guys to tune the font displays so that you can adjust it to your own PC.
Give me a heads up if another update breaks the readability again

Thanks, it’s been much better recently. I really like that you can adjust the symbology width with SYM on the left MPCD, think this would help with a range of hardware if it was also working on the right MPCD too (I posted another bug report about that already but putting it here too as I think it would really help any residual issues with readability across a range of hardware/VR etc.)

20 minutes ago, Shiroka said:

Thanks, it’s been much better recently. I really like that you can adjust the symbology width with SYM on the left MPCD, think this would help with a range of hardware if it was also working on the right MPCD too (I posted another bug report about that already but putting it here too as I think it would really help any residual issues with readability across a range of hardware/VR etc.)

Yup, the sym button issue is reported and should get fixed soon

• Like 2

• JIGGAwest changed the title to [RESOLVED] <TEST FILES AVAILABLE> MFD Text and symbology still messy with latest update VER 2.7.3.8494