Flaps Break Wing Sweep?

Horns

Sometimes when I start one of the Instant Action landing missions I forget and leave the flap lever on my hotas in the 'down' position when I start the new mission. If I try to sweep the wings back while the flaps are extended, they won't sweep to 68 degrees after that, even after the flaps have been retracted. Does anyone know a way to make the wings sweep back in this situation?

Edited by Horns
Fix grammar

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

1 minute ago, Golo said:

Are you sure you had them fully retracted, or were they jammed before full retraction?

If you have aux flaps jammed wings wont sweep aft of 22°, If you have jammed main flaps wings wont go past 50° aft.

I think they would have been jammed before full retraction, I usually try to sweep to 68 degrees, observe that they haven’t moved and then look at them and realise the flaps are out. So I’d have to land with wings at 20 all the way... I guess that’s not so bad since they’d be like that from the downwind anyway. Thanks for replying 🙂

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

One thing to note is, if you find yourself with flaps down and above 225kias or so dont panic they could hold in down position, unless you move them (they have a higher chance of jamming if you move them while overspeeding). If you first slow down below 225kias and then retract them they might be just fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golo said:

One thing to note is, if you find yourself with flaps down and above 225kias or so dont panic they could hold in down position, unless you move them (they have a higher chance of jamming if you move them while overspeeding). If you first slow down below 225kias and then retract them they might be just fine.

Oh ok awesome, thanks for the tip, I’ll try that! Much appreciated

2 hours ago, Horns said:

Sometimes when I start one of the Instant Action landing missions I forget and leave the flap lever on my hotas in the 'down' position when I start the new mission. If I try to sweep the wings back while the flaps are extended, they won't sweep to 68 degrees after that, even after the flaps have been retracted. Does anyone know a way to make the wings sweep back in this situation?

It might be not related to the flaps. First thing to check is Master Reset button, then try again to sweep.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

It might be not related to the flaps. First thing to check is Master Reset button, then try again to sweep.

Thanks, appreciate the suggestion. I did try using the master reset and I even audibled in the emergency wing sweep handle but I still had no luck sadly, but I'm glad to have had another option to pursue.

I think I have this figured out now, I think it's the effect of having the flaps down while overspeeding. Retracting the flaps once under 225 knots without attempting to sweep the wings first didn't allow the wings to sweep. However, if I slowed down to under 225 knots I could extend the flaps, try to sweep the wings and then retract the flaps, and the wings still swept no problem.

Maybe this is an effect that is deliberately baked in to provide the 'correct' results whenever someone overspeeds with flaps extended? Either way I think we have it sussed now, thanks Golo and Draconus for the help

Edited by Horns

If the flaps are broken I found the plane barely contollable. I didn't know about emergency up at the time,  so not sure that would have worked, either. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

7 hours ago, Uxi said:

If the flaps are broken I found the plane barely contollable. I didn't know about emergency up at the time,  so not sure that would have worked, either. 

If you're stuck with asymmetric flaps the trim alone might be not enough. You'll have to use the stick and asymmetric throttle.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I think (? - someone correct me if I am wrong) that in a situation where you have jammed the flaps, it is another item (like nose gear steering & AI Jester ejecting) that cannot be fixed by the "request repair" back at base. 

Edited by F1GHTS-ON

On 2/20/2021 at 4:28 AM, Uxi said:

It depends on what got broken, and how much. I.E. if both aux and man get stuck fully deployed, you are perfectly fine unless you try to go fast. Even aux jams are not a problem. Fully asymmetrical mains or mains plus aux..... that can be a problem.
It's not that hard to keep them from breaking though, if you practice often enough, with that specific goal in mind. Even in dogfights. As long you keep in mind some useful pointers on what, when, where and in what order you should or shouldn't do.

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Yeah, that was a pure accident since I was doing a night flight with long waypoints so I could practice RIO.  I had mapped the flap lever to elevation for the radar.  When I switched back to pilot to go to the next waypoint, flaps went down.  I couldn't sweep the wings with Man or Emergency... and they were at about 40 degrees or so.  Plane was yawing all over the place.  I diverted back to Nellis and got to the ground ok but was going way too fast and couldn't keep from coming off the runway so ended up ejecting when I saw flames though the plane didn't blow or anything and I was able to walk up to the wreckage. 😄

Needless to say, I don't use the flap lever as RIO anymore and planning to build dedicated boxes started with the CAP and Radar controls and probably going to 3d print the HCU and LANTIRN that Sagil put on cgtrader . 

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 2/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, PhantomCat said:

Is there a way to fix the jammed flaps? I tried do a request repair on ground but it doesn't fix the problem and end up having to respawn into a new aircraft.

Sadly no - broken flaps join the long list of un repairable items in DCS - great shame when you have pulled off the most amazing aircraft save in Multiplayer, flown hundreds of miles to recover and only had the Ground Crew wash the bugs off the windscreen and touch up some of the paint.

The list I've so far identified:

If emergency Gear (& hook) used - cannot be reset (includes NWS)  -

Jester decides to eject - no new Jester or canopy on repair

Engine FIre - flames seem to remain "glowing" after repair

Flaps

• Like 1