MIG-17 Fresco

Xilon_x

+1 Sure, I don't see why not.

Only thing I will say is that REDFOR early Cold War already has 2 aircraft, we really need a BLUFOR aircraft early century series aircraft to complement the MiG-17 and 19.

Mind you, the Super Mystère would go nicely with it.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

37 minutes ago, zhukov032186 said:

I knew they were almost the same except for the afterburning engine but didn't realise they changed the sweep. Interesting. On both the wings and the tail, too.

From the wiki page there's more: thinner wings, extra wing fences, removal of the automatic >m0.92 speed brake, and importantly: a radar gunsight.

I'd be more than happy to see the -17 in DCS, be nice to almost have the whole suite then, as we've got -15, -19, -21 and soon the -23 and -29 as full modules.

Edited by Buzzles

I certainly wouldn't mind the MiG-17. It is basically a MiG-15 with AB and a radar gunsight, but that's all right. As long as it has a better AI FM than the -15...

An F-100 to play with it and the -19 would be lovely, too, though it's not like either MiG couldn't give an F-4 a run for its money. 🙂 Not that we have an F-4.

5 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

+1 Sure, I don't see why not.

Only thing I will say is that REDFOR early Cold War already has 2 aircraft, we really need a BLUFOR aircraft early century series aircraft to complement the MiG-17 and 19.

Mind you, the Super Mystère would go nicely with it.

I say Let's get the F-100, Super Mystere, and the MiG-17 and anything else. Ideally HI but until the mods get developed then can we have some AI models? 

2 hours ago, upyr1 said:

I say Let's get the F-100, Super Mystere, and the MiG-17 and anything else. Ideally HI but until the mods get developed then can we have some AI models? 

Sure, don't see why not. Maybe not at the top of priorities but wouldn't say no.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Too similar to the MiG-15 bis, not sure if I would purchase it as I already have the -15 and the -19. I love aircraft of that era, but prefer to have a wider variety of countries represented in DCS, for example I would love a Hawker Hunter, or an F-84 or even an F-80. A Saab J-29 would be lovely as well 🙂 

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

This would be a day-one buy for me. I've been internally screaming for a Fresco for a long while now. It is definitely NOT a MiG-15. It's faster, with a better TWR, better acceleration, and was also the tightest-turning fighter until the F-16 was developed. The MiG-15 may look identical to the -17, but they're definitely different enough that a -15 is simply not a suitable replacement or stand-in for the Fresco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetguy06 said:

This would be a day-one buy for me. I've been internally screaming for a Fresco for a long while now. It is definitely NOT a MiG-15. It's faster, with a better TWR, better acceleration, and was also the tightest-turning fighter until the F-16 was developed. The MiG-15 may look identical to the -17, but they're definitely different enough that a -15 is simply not a suitable replacement or stand-in for the Fresco.

It would be especially nice if we get an F-105 and F-4D even if they are AI models 

Two things about MiG-17, first it would be whole lot faster to make than any module made from scratch because ED already has MiG-15, plus MiG-17 is very simple plane.

Second, now it would lack context but as soon as some other Vietnam era plane will be in DCS, like F-8 Crusader, MiG-17 will be the easiest and fastest (and most realistic) way to make Vietnam era RED counterpart.

• Like 2

MiG-17F Fresco C
Quando il VK-1F (forsag, postbruciatore) era disponibile il nuovo motore con postcombustore da 33,16 kN o 3 380 kg di spinta. Un prototipo che trasportava il nuovo motore, l'SF, una strana miscela di ala e coda MiG-17 e presa d'aria MiG-15, volò il 29 settembre 1951, con il collaudatore AN Chernoborov ai comandi.
Il nuovo velivolo era molto simile al Fresco A, la differenza più grande era nell'ugello a geometria variabile che non era annegato nella fusoliera e negli aerofreni modificati, il tutto probabilmente dovuto alla nuova camera del postcombustore. Mentre la velocità massima era leggermente aumentata, la velocità di salita e il soffitto pratico sono diventati più alti. Il prototipo è stato messo in produzione come MiG-17F, Fresco C for the West.
Altri aggiornamenti sono stati effettuati sul MiG-17F durante la produzione, come un radar collimatore SRD-1, identificabile da una piccola antenna sopra la presa d'aria, così come modifiche al motore e al sistema di alimentazione. Verso la fine del servizio operativo alcune macchine furono equipaggiate con R-3S o K-13A (AA-2 Atoll), missili aria-aria a ricerca di calore, una copia dell'USAF Sidewinder.

if you want the chinese one and the mig 17F is called J-5 while the mig-17PF in chinese is the J-5A

Edited by Xilon_x
  • Thanks 1

MIG-17 USA catturato

4477th_Test_and_Evaluation_Squadron_MiG-

VIETNAM:

Some North Vietnamese pilots preferred the MiG-17 to the MiG-21 because it was more agile, although not as fast; three of the 16 axes of the VPAF war (credited for shooting down five or more opposing aircraft) were from MiG-17 Mikoyan

Edited by Xilon_x
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, upyr1 said:

If we get the MIG-17 what model should it be? 

MiG-17F would be the best dogfighter and perhaps the most historically relevant? If we could get two variants, the F and PF would cover most historical scenarios (and the PF's radar would differentiate it from the MiG-15bis a bit more). If we could have three... the Lim-6bis would add some air to ground options.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm spoiled from Heatblur but two versions would be great. You can have the MiG-17F Fresco-C if you want a pure dogfighter and either the PF Fresco-D or PM  for more interception-style missions.

• Like 2

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

A Mod, no a official 3rd party module.

I hope they will be able to prove quality and make a deal with ED if this is their goal. They want to make Soviet 1-3 era jet aircrafts. Sounds like a great choice.

• Like 5