In game PD or SteamVR Render Resolution

Sr.

I'm curious what combo of DCS in Game PD to SteamVR render resolution the VR pilots are using?

I have always run my setup (see sig) using in game PD 1.0 and SVR set at 150%, and was perfectly happy with it, until I started fiddling with what if's... Since I had to reapply the usual shader mods and other optimizations post update, I decided to try swapping in game PD for SVR resolution.  What I ended up with was tuning the in game PD to 0.5 and SteamVR per game resolution to 250%, occasionally as high as 280%, rebooting, doing a take off and landing in Caucuses noting cockpit readability, in game FPS counter and FPSVR frame times.  

What I haven't tried is SVR res to minimum and in game PD slider as high as I can get it... that's next.

In the end, for my gear, using SVR resolution is the way to go. I get a very steady, very playable frame rate and the cockpit clarity "seems" better for me.  

I am also using the mod'd (non Fresnel) lenses in my Vive Cosmos Elite.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

i never understand this ... do it in one place ... just one either in PD or in SS ... at .5/250 you are functionally operating about the same resolution as pd 1/ ss 63.

i use just SS and i leave PD alone at 1...  the only thing that actually matters is the total number of pixels... and you get more granular control in SS than you do in PD i created a spreadsheet to help with this because i know its not everyone's strongest suit...

PDSSCalc.zip

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, Sr. said:

I'm curious what combo of DCS in Game PD to SteamVR render resolution the VR pilots are using?

I have always run my setup (see sig) using in game PD 1.0 and SVR set at 150%, and was perfectly happy with it, until I started fiddling with what if's... Since I had to reapply the usual shader mods and other optimizations post update, I decided to try swapping in game PD for SVR resolution.  What I ended up with was tuning the in game PD to 0.5 and SteamVR per game resolution to 250%, occasionally as high as 280%, rebooting, doing a take off and landing in Caucuses noting cockpit readability, in game FPS counter and FPSVR frame times.  

What I haven't tried is SVR res to minimum and in game PD slider as high as I can get it... that's next.

In the end, for my gear, using SVR resolution is the way to go. I get a very steady, very playable frame rate and the cockpit clarity "seems" better for me.  

I am also using the mod'd (non Fresnel) lenses in my Vive Cosmos Elite.

What was the final resolution output with PD 1.0 and SVR at 150%?  And what was final resolution output with PD 0.5 and SVR 250%?  The latter is much lower resolution.

Going from 1.0 PD to 0.5 PD is 50% reduction in number of pixels (Width x Height).  Whereas 50% in SVR is in linear resolution (Width or Height).

Always calculate using actual resolution.  Not % value.

It doesn't matter what combination you use.  As long as the final resolution output is same, the performance and quality is same.

Edited by Taz1004

I sort of figured it was a case of arriving at the same place using a different route... having tried the "normal" route, I believe I prefer the little performance boost via SteamVR setting. My GPU frame times stay in the 18-19 range and I still get the cockpit imaging I'm happy with. They jump in to the high 20's otherwise.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

On 2/18/2021 at 9:41 PM, Taz1004 said:

What was the final resolution output with PD 1.0 and SVR at 150%?  And what was final resolution output with PD 0.5 and SVR 250%?  The latter is much lower resolution.

Going from 1.0 PD to 0.5 PD is 50% reduction in number of pixels (Width x Height).  Whereas 50% in SVR is in linear resolution (Width or Height).

Always calculate using actual resolution.  Not % value.

It doesn't matter what combination you use.  As long as the final resolution output is same, the performance and quality is same.

Are you sure? 😄

I think you are correct with that the latter is much lower resolution but i think you mixed up those samplings or i didn’t understood correctly your explanation.

PD in dcs just multiplys resolution in X and Y axels like if you have 2160x2160 resolution and put 1.1pd in dcs, resulting resolution should be 2376x2376. So going from 1.0 to 0.5pd is not 50% reduction in pixels, it’s a lot more. Steamvr SS% is changing the amount of pixels and then going for example from 100% to 50% you will get 50% reduction in pixels. Please correct me if i’m wrong, but i’m quite certain it’s that way. G2 per eye is about 2160x2160 in steamvr SS 48% and in 100% about 3300x3300. If it’s linear resolution it should be ~4300x4300 in 100%.

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

3 hours ago, divinee said:

Are you sure? 😄

I think you are correct with that the latter is much lower resolution but i think you mixed up those samplings or i didn’t understood correctly your explanation.

PD in dcs just multiplys resolution in X and Y axels like if you have 2160x2160 resolution and put 1.1pd in dcs, resulting resolution should be 2376x2376. So going from 1.0 to 0.5pd is not 50% reduction in pixels, it’s a lot more. Steamvr SS% is changing the amount of pixels and then going for example from 100% to 50% you will get 50% reduction in pixels. Please correct me if i’m wrong, but i’m quite certain it’s that way. G2 per eye is about 2160x2160 in steamvr SS 48% and in 100% about 3300x3300. If it’s linear resolution it should be ~4300x4300 in 100%.

Yea, you're right.  I got those two reversed.  I was thinking one thing and wrote another.

• Like 1

Then there's me... I have no idea what either of you are talking about. 🤣

--Arthur C Clark

Guys, just for clarity again. PD value works per axis, and SteamVR %age works on total pixels. 
So, a PD of 1.5, is 1.5*1.5*pixels, i.e. 2.25 or 225% in SteamVR terms. 
And, a PD of 0.5 is 0.5*0.5*pixels, i.e. 0.25 or 25% in SteamVR terms. 

• Like 4

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Valve Index user here,

I use DCS PD at 1.5 and SteamVR SS at 1.0 (default). Tried SteamVR SS at 1.5/2.0 and DCS PD at 1.0, but, DCS PD has more quality than SteamVR SS thus more performance impact (and visually is noticeable the difference in both options).

So, to me works better at DCS PD 1.5 and SteamVR 1.0.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1 minute ago, fagulha said:

Valve Index user here,

I use DCS PD at 1.5 and SteamVR SS at 1.0 (default). Tried SteamVR SS at 1.5/2.0 and DCS PD at 1.0, but, DCS PD has more quality than SteamVR SS thus more performance impact (and visually is noticeable the difference in both options).

So, to me works better at DCS PD 1.5 and SteamVR 1.0.

Let me repeat again. PD of 1.5 is equivalent to SteamVR SS of 225%. 
so, of course you’ll see ‘more quality’ at a PD of 1.5 compared to SS of 150% or 200%. 

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The question I want to know is that even though the resulting pixels may be the same, does one route or the other, based on how the PC renders everything make a difference in-game vs SteamSS?  On paper they shouldn't, but paper and real world differ sometimes.  Has anyone tested this quantifiably?  

i9-12900K - EVGA 3090 FTW - 64GB DDR5 5600 - HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, WolfeFlyer said:

The question I want to know is that even though the resulting pixels may be the same, does one route or the other, based on how the PC renders everything make a difference in-game vs SteamSS?  On paper they shouldn't, but paper and real world differ sometimes.  Has anyone tested this quantifiably?  

There seems to be a big difference performance wise.

https://youtube.com/c/WoonasArtTM

There's a post(can't link it, but it's from February 25th 2021) in the "community" category of the channel that suggests a 10%fps increase, noticable lower CPU frametime and better visuals by reducing in game PD and increasing SteamVR SS. 

3 minutes ago, Copprhead said:

There's a post(can't link it, but it's from February 25th 2021) in the "community" category of the channel that suggests a 10%fps increase, noticable lower CPU frametime and better visuals by reducing in game PD and increasing SteamVR SS. 

"There seems to be a big difference performance wise."

Is for me anyway.

--Arthur C Clark

6 minutes ago, Copprhead said:

It totally amazes me that people just don't seem to grasp how PD and SS numbers work. We see it over and over again.  I'm afraid the people in the post you are referring to just don't know what they are talking about.  The numbers in their comparisons are not equivalent at all, and that is why they see different results and come to incorrect conclusions for the wrong reasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Let me repeat again. PD of 1.5 is equivalent to SteamVR SS of 225%. 
so, of course you’ll see ‘more quality’ at a PD of 1.5 compared to SS of 150% or 200%. 

Thank you for your insight.

I was just replying to this "I'm curious what combo of DCS in Game PD to SteamVR render resolution the VR pilots are using?".

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

What I run for my Reverb G2:

100% Native Steam VR resolution ( 3172x3100 per eye).

DCS PD at 1.0.

Motion Smoothing On forced at 45 fps.

Pretty high GFX settings in DCS including terrain and cockpit shadows.

NO MSAA ( I find I do not need any at the above resolution in my G2).

I get a very solid 45 fps during gameplay. This is in single player campaigns. It is very smooth for me, I have no perceivable stutter even taxiing and taking off from the Super Carrier.

And the image for me is very acceptable - in fact looks gorgeous to me. 

I do have a fairly beefy rig ( i9 9900k @ 5.2 GHz all cores and RTX 3090 GPU).

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|