What are you top Mid-Cold War / Viet Nam era planes (1955 -1975)

upyr1

On 2/20/2021 at 11:30 AM, TotenDead said:

MiG-25 was pretty much used as a usual fighter. And effectively

That's right. MiG-25 was designed as high altitude interceptor but it doesn't mean it couldn't perform air combat at all. 

Especially upgraded "PD" from 1979-1980 which had different radar able to look down (which was important considering MiG-25 typical operational altitude).

MiG-25 with it's altitude/speed performance and huge R-40 missiles could utilize interesting tactic, obviously not squeezing Gs.

Plus it had nearly identical cockpit as MiG-21 so everyone having Bis would feel familiar.

And with analog avionics and manual fligh control it would be challenging to fly and operate what makes it even more interesting since requiring skill.

I think it would be great but it was PVO fighter so I'm not sure R-40 missiles and it's radar are declassified, even after so many years.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Northstar98 said:
  • F-4 Phantom II (namely M, S, E, K)
  • F-104G Starfighter
  • MiG-21bis
  • MiG-23M
  • Tu-16 (as AI; preferably the initial basic bomber variant (Badger A), dedicated maritime strike (Tu-16K-10-26 'Badger C Mod.') and combined w/out RADAR (Tu-16KSR-2-5-11 'Badger G Mod.')

I think you mean f or pf since we have the bis.

57 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I think you mean f or pf since we have the bis.

We do, but I'm just going off what are my top aircraft from the mid 50s to mid 70s. I could name numerous others however, and I certainly would take more variants of the MiG-21.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

8 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

We do, but I'm just going off what are my top aircraft from the mid 50s to mid 70s. I could name numerous others however, and I certainly would take more variants of the MiG-21.

Same here. I figure it is hard for me to narrow down my top list but needless to say the F-4 would be the top of my list, and if possible the F-105

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marsvinet said:

I am all about that F105. Any version is fun, D for that Vietnam canyon run feeling, hauling 6000lbs of bombs to a target. G for that old school weaselin, though most of the fun stuff in that version is probably classified still. But I just like those low level, fast bombers. So Aardvarks or Fencers are also good in my book.

The real problem with the Thud is that Fairchild were pyros with the Republic archives. The Smithsonian has all the surviving documents. Though I do think the G would be possible as a MAC add on. From my understanding when the EWO locked onto a radar the HSI would point to it and provide the range

9 hours ago, upyr1 said:

The real problem with the Thud is that Fairchild were pyros with the Republic archives. The Smithsonian has all the surviving documents. Though I do think the G would be possible as a MAC add on. From my understanding when the EWO locked onto a radar the HSI would point to it and provide the range

Yup, that is the sad reality for all the Republic aircraft, all of which I have an immense love for. Even the P-47 is hard to recreate, even though it has a solid place in history. I'd like even an F84E or G, but it just might not be possible to find all the needed information.

7 hours ago, Marsvinet said:

Yup, that is the sad reality for all the Republic aircraft, all of which I have an immense love for. Even the P-47 is hard to recreate, even though it has a solid place in history. I'd like even an F84E or G, but it just might not be possible to find all the needed information.

I think we need community mods