Own Subforum for Intruder?

CanopyJettison

It is a bit too early for this, imo. It will be a while till we devote ourselves fully to it, and expectations need to be kept low for the time being. We will however of course create one in time.

• Like 10

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

4 hours ago, IronMike said:

It is a bit too early for this, imo. It will be a while till we devote ourselves fully to it, and expectations need to be kept low for the time being. We will however of course create one in time.

So low like we're heading downtown for a second pass because no one would be that crazy?  Or low, you guys don't quite know what all will be going into the last Navy bomber?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, USSInchon said:

So low like we're heading downtown for a second pass because no one would be that crazy?  Or low, you guys don't quite know what all will be going into the last Navy bomber?

Let us say, we are ingressing and masking using the Thud Ridge for now, but we'll let you know when we reach the pop up point. 🙂

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Does the A-6E HUD have a CCIP style bomb line or (like the F-4) are we going to have to use a manual sight with rads dialed in? I assume "Jester" will be able to enter a waypoint for auto bombing (and I guess the clever bit with the real A-6 was the skill of the B/N to read the radar to accurately enter this waypoint/target/offset point?).

So whilst flying down low in the fjords of the new South Atlantic Map in IMC conditions will add spice to the challenge, getting that AI B/N to do all this is where the real challenge to Heatblur lies? Having seen how well they have delivered on the Lantrin/AI Jester in recent months, it's clearly possible, but I fully understand just how long this might take to turn into reality for us so desperately wanting an A-6 now.

Edited by F1GHTS-ON
Auto spell is like Jester on a bad day

Using this topic to  continue discussion on what we might expect from Heatblur. The following link ARC modellers forum - A6E SWIP & TRAM - takes you to a North American Modeller's Forum (google search ARC + A-6E + SWIP) that goes into some good detail about the cockpit/RWR differences in late model A-6Es. Conscious of the ED forum rules ref posting images from another site, this link FLICKR A-6E cockpit, was posted by someone to illustrate that even with the SWIP versions entering service in early 90's, some still had "old gunsight" rather than modern HUD. Whereas this image (SWIP & HUD) shows the ultimate A-6E SWIP cockpit.

That last picture also shows a 1990's style MFD in B/N's cockpit which is in contrast to 1970's style gauges elsewhere. I would assume that if Heatblur were to give us that MFD, we would have access to many more option for weapons etc than a "vanilla" early 1980's A-6E. (Am I being greedy in my expectations?)

I hope that this post might prompt someone with the "know" to respond with some knowledge as to what the 1990's HUD could provide for the pilot rather than us having to bomb with an A-4 style gunsight glass in DCS.......

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel like somewhere it was said the AI intruder was considered part of the overall F-14 package along with the Forrestal. Is this true or did I imagine it? I really hope buddy tanking from an intruder will be a thing as seeing the back end of an S-3 is getting old 🤣 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 9:33 PM, Indianajon said:

Hey IronMike feels like it's been a while since I asked so...... is it time yet? 😁

This time I took my time to reply to you just in time about whether or not it is time:

secret tom cruise GIF

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 6

Heatblur Simulations

• 2 months later...

If not already seen, here are a few more A-6E Youtube (from cockpit) vids to keep the DCS dream alive.

Video at 0:49 gives you a few seconds view of the VDI where you can see the waypoint steer that the B/N has put in. Video description states that this is a VA-145 machine flying from Ranger (with other clips from creators time flying in A-6). At very end of video, as the jet taxis out of the wires you briefly see a parked A-6 which to me looks like a SWIP wing Fold. If so then I am making a huge leap and guessing that the cockpit seen thru most of video is also SWIP  - not sure other than HUD what difference that makes...

US Navy Museum walk around briefed by ex B/N.  minute 20:25 for description & illustration of VDI

I/m guessing a V-165 in cockpit video - I think a SWIP again guessing at a view of the ECM(?) aerials on trailing edge of wings........

EDIT - I should add that SWIP was the Systems/Weapons Improvement Programme. Whilst later SWIP aircraft had the "Plastic wings", first airframes upgraded only had the internal stuff done - giving HARM, MAVERICK capability.......guess which version I hope we get!

Edited by F1GHTS-ON
  • Like 7