DCS 2.7

baksie

We know what the 2.7 is mainly providing (new clouds) that is hot as....

But what do we know about 2.7 series itself or 2.8? The 2.5.6 was a major feature update that brought new lighting system.

The new clouds truly takes out maybe everything they can get from that new lighting system considering all shadows etc.

But in another thread about ATFLIR, it was originally delayed as ED wanted to complete the new FLIR system that would be very big improvement to all FLIR systems (and likely to all EOS systems) so if the 2.7 brings that too, then it will be clouds + FLIR that is changin, and possibly reason to skip 2.6.

If I would put Vulkan on some versionumber, I would put it to 2.8 series.

So if something that I would expect to see in 3.0 is sub-meter terrain capability. Alone if Caucasus would et such a feat with new terrain engine, I would gladly almost skip the Vulkan as with current performance capability as it would be much bigger benefactor to all combat than Vulkan can be.

But back to 2.7, I expect we get first the taste with premade cloud formations and as they later drop the customization capabilities and dynamic weather, then we start to see real major visual capabilities DCS World can offer up in the air.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

3 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

That animations has implemented on actual DCS soldiers (Georgian Soldier) from some years ago.

Thanks a lot @Silver_Dragon ... didn't knew about that soldier ... just tried it, looks excelent:

Will use it for Blue Side from now on 🙂

2 hours ago, pimp said:

Wow. I did not know that. I'm going to start using those soldiers instead. Thanks for that info.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

37 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Than just vulkan API and multi-threading? months and months of work 🙂 , this goal alone is impressive on its own and would warrant a version number change. 

IT world:

Months of changing and improving the a hell of sourcecode = "bah, so many month for just that?. Lame!!!"

2 days of easy changes for some visual effect = "UAAAAAUUUU.. you see that?, now is red!!! and blinking!!!! best update ever!!!!"

^_^

Edited by daemon1808
  • Like 8

Yeah, the best stuff is usually hard to see, except if you turn the FPS counter on. 🙂 Vulkan and multithreading are fundamental changes to the programming paradigm the entire engine runs on, and as such, would certainly be worthy of 3.0. Although given how big an update that would be, I would expect more things to accompany it, if only because they would become possible at all with those changes implemented. Also, some things might be done because they're either low-hanging fruit under the new paradigm, or the switchover required demolishing an old system so thoroughly that they might as well write a replacement with a few more things built in from the start. I would say, there's no danger of the 3.0 update lacking in features. 🙂

I wonder if multithreading could free up ressources for a proper ground AI. With all the complicated calculations for the flight models I could understand if a proper AI falls victim to this in order to keep the framerates up. But I - and I would guess most of us - have many more cores to spare for a proper AI.

EDIT: Too hurry post, rewrote this post below in a new reply.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 2/19/2021 at 10:10 AM, baksie said:

So what all can we expect in 2.7??

Secrets revealed...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Vulkan and proper multithreading could definitely warrant a major version change to 3.0. Especially, true multithreading requires a rewrite of the simulation pipeline, so it changes the core of how DCS runs. I do wonder if it's going to be a full on implementation or just "some more things run on other threads now". If it is though, that and Vulkan make a different game, essentially.

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

22 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Others infantry with that movement has WW2 allied US parachute, UK infantry and German axis soldier on WW2 assets pack.

Thanks .. I had seen those WW2, but this Georgian one is FREE 🙂 ... wonder why ED didn't publicised it a bit more on their Newsletter.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Although given how big an update that would be, I would expect more things to accompany it, if only because they would become possible at all with those changes implemented.

Yes but imho it would be better to hold off a bit on that just to see how Vulkan and multithreading run on people's PC. Once that is ironed out, then they can add features that benefit from those (version 3.1 and so on) without running into a debugger-nightmare... It seems like some people underestimate they amount of work that goes into implementing both and having them work properly so they're actually beneficial. Building a new flight sim with Vulkan and multithreading support from the ground up is one thing, making it work in a product that's as established as DCS is something else entirely.

One step at a time 😉

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

That depends. Some things will likely get done just because there's no reason not to include them with the new code. I don't expect it to be anything big, but it's possible some things can be made to look nicer under Vulkan with much less effort than it'd take to introduce such changes into the current code. 

In fact, if doing a rework on that scale, it can be better to introduce certain new features straight away, making adding them an integral part of the reworked design, rather than attempting to patch them in later. The idea is to start with a design that will require as few post-release changes as feasible. Fewer changes=less technical debt.

I wonder if fog will get updated for 2.7 release. Right now it's either on or off. We need the ability for the fog to grow or dissipate over a length of time.

• Like 2

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

11 hours ago, pimp said:

I wonder if fog will get updated for 2.7 release. Right now it's either on or off. We need the ability for the fog to grow or dissipate over a length of time.

I don't see how fog would not get an update as fog is basically a cloud layer on the ground. If they've worked on the volumetric clouds, it should translate rather well to fog. The dynamic aspect (for example low clouds/fog in the morning that dissipate as the sun is rising) might not be there on 2.7 though, I believe the dynamic weather comes later in their roadmap.

What I am particularly excited about is precipitation, and especially the fact that it can rain under certain clouds and not near it, or have a storm cloud with heavy rainstorm that you would need to avoid and fly around, and generally some condensation/water droplets on the plane when flying through certain clouds. I am not sure if this will be part of the initial 2.7 upgrade of the clouds (which I understand only has weather presets).

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

On 2/22/2021 at 7:49 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Than just vulkan API and multi-threading? months and months of work 🙂 , this goal alone is impressive and would warrant a version number change. 

Oh, I didn't mean that post to come out sounding like that. I was speaking in general in computer software, historically a major version bump indicates a lot of changes all-around, it doesn't have to be so in this case as hardcore as it used to be. 

I'm a bit grumpy when it comes to fast versioning and I rant about it everytime I get the chance.

BTW: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Chrome-4-Week-Releases

If you guys check out comments/responses in the linux/FOSS communities, you'd see a lot of people mocking the ridicolous Chrome/Firefox versioning gimmicks so I'm not alone by far.

(I redid this post as a new reply because I forgot to insert quote and wrote it in a too hurry the last time)

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

anyone else not find it comforting that we are almost halfway through the month without a new "release date" for 2.7...

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

They already warned us that this update could take longer in the Newsletter from Friday last week. 

We would like to inform you of a longer than usual update cycle commencing now in the lead up to 2.7.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/254461-official-news-2021/?do=findComment&comment=4590333

I'm sure they are working to get the update out as soon as it's feasible.

Edited by Repth
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

anyone else not find it comforting that we are almost halfway through the month without a new "release date" for 2.7...

I don't really care .. it will be out when its out, so I devote my time to sim-flying instead of worrying. 😄

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Xilon_x said:

with all that water that will be on the mariana map, it seems strange to me: that amphibious and seaplanes are not designed.
when will we see the first seaplane on DCS?

Right after the UFO. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 3/10/2021 at 2:48 AM, Harlikwin said:

Right after the UFO.

Those are already in: they're called "AI F-5E" and "AI MiG-21Bis" :sly:

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

2 hours ago, MysticEric said:

When will the 2.7 ver game come out in beta

Patch Status - DCS World 2.5 - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

All release date we get from ED are only best estimation, so everything is subject to change. They just posted a new screenshot on their Facebook page and Nineline confirmed that the planned release for DCS 2.7 is still end of march/beginning of April
  • Like 1