F-5E Cold Start Training Mission with English Voice Instruction (updated!)

Johnny Dioxin

EDIT - Updated file now available!

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315158/

This is the default F-5E start-up, taxi and take-off mission, but with an English voiceover added so that you don't have to read the instructions - with a couple of exceptions where mentioned.

If you wish, you can perform the required actions straight away, rather than waiting for the instructor to explain the action and in this way you can get through parts of the start-up that you already know, faster. You can then get to things you may be unsure about much quicker.

If the feedback for this tutorial mission voiceover is good, I will do the rest of the training missions as well and intend doing English voiceovers for other missions for Russian aircraft, which currently only have English onscreen text.

Comments are, of course, welcome.

Just put the mission into your normal missions folder in the User/Saved Games/DCS directory and select it as a normal mission - don't lookin training cos it won't be there 😉

Hope you like it. I kept some minor faulters in because I wanted it to sound more natural than someone reading off a sheet of paper - think I was only partly successful with that but hope to improve as I do others.

Update 27th April: I'm doing the next stage, which is the "Advanced" version - no keyboard assignments mentioned in the audio. It's on slow boil, so it won't be here that quickly, but it's being done. After that I may look at doing a "Pro" version, which would have only audio instructions. That's long term, as I'm busy with other projects and now the main training missions for this module are done, they take priority.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)
update
  • Like 4

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Nice, thanks for sharing this ... it should help a lot of new players that start with thr F-5E as their first clickable aircraft.

Question: Whatever happened to your previous account: Brixmis? .. I remember you had a lot of pictorial guides and now cant find any of them 🤔

Edit: I just tried the mission, and having voice overs is a big improvement. I would have preffered a higher volume, I set the Helmet volume to max and the audio level was still quite low. Also, the "radio" effect is a bit much, sometimes its hard to understand the words, particularly if one is not a native english speaker.

Best regards.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks - as far as I know, all is still as it was. I changed my forum name to include my Google profile and YT channel name after the new forum started and I thought that this just changes my forum name on all previous posts.

The pictorial guides and "Kneeboard Information Files" are all still there. I've even got some new material in the pipeline. The link is in my sig.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

Thanks - as far as I know, all is still as it was.

I'm afraid that it's not ... if I search for Brixmis no file comes up, and if I serach with your new account (JD_LincsUK) only 3 files show up.  Thanks for the link to your website, they are all there .. but my belief is that they had greater exposure when at ED's User Files 🙂

Best regards and thanks a lot for the Guides, I used several of them when first learning a new aircraft. 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

29 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Nice, thanks for sharing this ... it should help a lot of new players that start with thr F-5E as their first clickable aircraft.

Question: Whatever happened to your previous account: Brixmis? .. I remember you had a lot of pictorial guides and now cant find any of them 🤔

Edit: I just tried the mission, and having voice overs is a big improvement. I would have preffered a higher volume, I set the Helmet volume to max and the audio level was still quite low. Also, the "radio" effect is a bit much, sometimes its hard to understand the words, particularly if one is not a native english speaker.

Best regards.

Thanks for the feedback - these are things I was hoping to hear about.

I'm surprised about the volume as I thought it might be too loud. I tested it on the monitor and in VR and it seemed okay.  The original recordings were low, but I boosted the level when I added a bit of distortion. I must admit, though, in all training missions the first thing I do is close the canopy. I don't really agree with having a dozen other things going on around you when you are trying to learn a new aircraft.

I also thought it would be better not to use radio effects, which is why all I did was add a little distortion. This was suggested by someone else, I never actually liked tutorials like the ones for FC 2 that, even as a native English speaker (and class1 military radio op) I struggled to understand.

I was planning to release a second version of this mission in natural audio and without the keyboard control callouts so we'll see how well that goes and what people prefer.

Typo's
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

22 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I'm afraid that it's not ... if I search for Brixmis no file comes up, and if I serach with your new account (JD_LincsUK) only 3 files show up.  Thanks for the link to your website, they are all there .. but my belief is that they had greater exposure when at ED's User Files 🙂

Best regards and thanks a lot for the Guides, I used several of them when first learning a new aircraft. 👍

You're very welcome. I can't remember why I moved the ones in the user files to the website. Possibly because it was easier to present them how I wanted to and easier to edit and add to them. I can't remember exactly, but I know I wasn't happy with something.

Originally I had one just for myself for the A-10C back when it was standalone. I uploaded it to another flight sim website and was amazed at how popular it was, then after I did one for the Ka-50 they got even more popular and that kicked things off. The idea of putting them into kneeboard format too came years later.

When they were on my previous website the visitor numbers were quite humbling, which is why I moved them to Google sites.  More general exposure and they can stay there long-term because the costs are ridiculously low and there are no server issues.

Edit: I moved them to the website 2 or 3 years ago, maybe more. Before the AV-8B was released, that one went into the user files. I also thought it would be more convenient for people to view the guides online on a separate device rather than have to download and unarchive them.

Those typo's again...
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

So far there are 2 of 5 stars on the download yet zero comments. Early doors, I know.

If you don't like it tell me why - if you give it a bad score and say nothing AFAIC you are just trolling.

Kneeboard Guides

Don't worry about it, I never give any attention to those stars, since it's very unlikely that a person would download a File, test it on DCS, and then return to the File to award a star-rating .. so most star-ratings are actually given by people that has not even tried the file yet.

• Like 1

I wondered if it might have been what you said about my voice being difficult to understand with the distortion or too quiet (it's always possible people don't trust their written English to make a comment) - but yes, I mention that in my post as I see on Reddit that there seem to be a group of members who downvote everything. Hard to understand, but probably adolescents "playing".

Kneeboard Guides

Okay - I know it's not easy to tell from just an audio recording, but I've amplified the audio as much as I can without making new recordings, be grateful if anyone could give them a listen and see if they sound loud enough.

Also, with files 00 and 01 I'd like to know which is preferred - the "stick to the lines" one (01) or the story type (00) version?

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

3 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

Okay - I know it's not easy to tell from just an audio recording, but I've amplified the audio as much as I can without making new recordings, be grateful if anyone could give them a listen and see if they sound loud enough.

Hello,

Yes, they now have a volume that is similar to the one of other training missions. The audio distortion is a bit much for my taste, but I had no trouble understanding it.  I understand that most DCS users like the AM-radio-like audios, but my personal preference is for a cleaner audio, like if an instructor was at my side talking directly to me (not trough a radio).

3 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

Also, with files 00 and 01 I'd like to know which is preferred - the "stick to the lines" one (01) or the story type (00) version?

Sorry, I downloaded the new file on top of the old one, so I only have the latest version. On my case, I'm happy if the spoken instructions match closely enough the written text.

Best regards,

Eduardo

I prefer 'clean' voice for the tutorials, too - leave the simulation stuff for the missions, I say! 😉

As I was saying to SorelRo when we we started doing this - I often feel stupid just repeating what is in the text, because often the English (grammar) is pretty awful. I know most non-English speakers (inlcuding Americans) won't tell the difference, but I feel it dumbs down the whole experience.

Don't get me started on terms like "loadout", either! 🤬

spellling agayn!
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

... I often feel stupid just repeating what is in the text, because often the English (grammar) is pretty awful...

Well, if you are editing your own version of the training mission with these audio files, you may as well edit the texts as you see fit  🙂  .. the important thing is that the text be the same as the audio, in order to not be confusing. On my own missions the text messages often have items within parenteses (like the key combinations) to indicate that they are not being repeated on the audio, as I find that this makes for cleaner audio.

• Like 1

Yeah -- I've already recorded the audio for the first 5 training missions and they include the key assignments. I didn't like including them, tbh. Now I've done half with them included, though, I think I should do the same with the rest. It's either that or record the whole lot again... 🥴

Kneeboard Guides

I'm keen to get on with these and already have a lot done, but it's that time of year when my eyes start streaming all day long from the tree pollen, so there may be a bit of a delay - they are coming, though.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

4 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

I'm keen to get on with these and already have a lot done, but it's that time of year when my eyes start streaming all day long from the tree pollen, so there may be a bit of a delay - they are coming, though.

I also enjoy editing training missions, currently working on a set for the Skyhawk:

• Like 1

I downloaded a bunch of your training missions - in fact several times, as they were updated - I'm guessing that was for the A-4E, then.

So far I only flew the start-up one (I only installed the aircraft a few weeks ago). Was well done, though for my taste it had a bit too much information - I care very little for NATOPS etc, only what is in the module's manual, usually 🙂. Basically, if I don't need to know it to operate the plane, I ignore it!  (edit - like the C-101).

Kneeboard Guides

16 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

Was well done, though for my taste it had a bit too much information - I care very little for NATOPS etc, only what is in the module's manual, usually 🙂. Basically, if I don't need to know it to operate the plane, I ignore it!

on my case, I enjoy studying the aircraft in detail ... but I know not every dcs player feels the same, so the mission allows you to skip the interior inspection, and also skip all non-essential checks if you are not interested in them 🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

I probably would be more inclined to go into more detail on modules - I just have so many and so little time for actual flying in addition to my other interests and the family mutt who I spend most of the day watching over and is very demanding/hyperactive.

I long for the old days when we had a dog that was happy to just curl up and sleep most of the day and I could clock up lots of hours every day in the cockpit. Oh well - it's not her fault - she's a rescued dog with two previous neglecting owners.

I'm determined to learn a lot more on the F-16 though, as I already have a lot of prior knowledge from other sims.

Kneeboard Guides

Good news - I found my old decent but broken Plantronics headset that I had used for previous voice acting and after a bit of soldering, it's working well and the recordings are far louder and better quality.

I reckon I should have all the training missions ready for testing within 2 weeks. I'll post them here first so anyone who wants to can help with testing - it would just be checking that nothing is cut off or left out - and then I can then upload them to the user files section sooner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kneeboard Guides

Ah, things went a bit awry. Remember I said things were slightly delayed because my hay fever was messing with my eyes? Turns out it messed with my voice, too!

I've recorded every line for all of the training missions, which also involved re-recording the first five missions which I had done with a poor quality microphone. I just tested the first one last night and you can actually hear the point at which I got affected by the hay fever. For the first half dozen lines my voice is loud and clear - but then it just goes muffled and quieter in comparison - you can clearly hear the change - I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears! When I listened after recording in Audacity, the lines sounded just fine - but they weren't.

So now I'm going back through every single line again and using some compression to beef up my voice. What a PITA. Never mind, though, I'll get there sometime this year! 🤪

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

12 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

Ah, things went a bit awry. Remember I said things were slightly delayed because my hay fever was messing with my eyes? Turns out it messed with my voice, too!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, wish you will recover soon and take care 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - well on the plus side I've found settings that I'm far happier with on Audacity. I just hope everyone who uses it thinks so, too. It means I have to go back through every line yet again, but it will be worth it.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

Thanks - well on the plus side I've found settings that I'm far happier with on Audacity. I just hope everyone who uses it thinks so, too. It means I have to go back through every line yet again, but it will be worth it.

why don’t you prepare a small 10 voice lines or so prototype, and share it here so people can give you feedback before you go all out?

• Like 1