Migrate VR API from SteamVR's OpenVR to OpenXR

FoxTwo

+1

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

• ED Team

OpenXR is something we are looking into but I do not have any news to share with you currently. 

thank you

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY
I know you have no news to share with us, but maybe these news shared with you and the team might be helpful: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/250820/view/3044967019267211914

tl;dr: SteamVR 1.16 brings full OpenXR compliance into SteamVR. Since Oculus also does that, you could start migrating to OpenXR and only have to maintain 1 API instead of the current 2 (SteamVR and Oculus). That would also be super helpful for the people running WMR headsets since the performance gain should be substantial by just utilizing OpenXR alone (WMR via SteamVR copies the framebuffer between the 2, not the most elegant solution). 

• Like 2

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• ED Team

Thanks, yes I have already highlighted it to the team. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Oh I didn't knew that, would make great sense since OpenXR is also from Khronos like Vulkan which probably has more developer crossover and experience in the community as well as compatability familiarity that can come helpful. I would coincide this with the Vulkan API renderer for DCS, that together could make a good splash for VR users, it would also make sense from usability for these major changes to coincide so there's less major changes to the configuration and tweaking process for VR users. Once Vulkan renderer comes, VR may work differently and old tweaks/config may not work anymore, making users to re-figure out the optimal process, OpenXR support may produce this same effect, but if they both come together along with other changes/improvements, then it might be one less change of procedure for users, or perhaps much lesser of a procedure overall because the whole thing would skip ahead to a better implementation that would work better out of the box, potentially sparing a lot of back-and-forth within the community. ...... at the expense of potentially delayed release and more waiting haha 😛

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 3

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 2/28/2021 at 1:18 AM, Worrazen said:

Oh I didn't knew that, would make great sense since OpenXR is also from Khronos like Vulkan which probably has more developer crossover and experience in the community as well as compatability familiarity that can come helpful. I would coincide this with the Vulkan API rendered for DCS, that together could make a good splash for VR users, it would also make sense from usability for these major changes to coincide so there's less major changes to the configuration and tweaking process for VR users. Once Vulkan renderer comes, VR may work differently and old tweaks/config may not work anymore, making users to re-figure out the optimal process, OpenXR support may produce this same effect, but if they both come together along with other changes/improvements, then it'll one less change of procedure I would assume, or perhaps much less because it would work better out of the box, potentially sparing a lot of back-and-forth. ...... at the expense of potentially delayed release and more waiting haha 😛

Strongly agree as a long time vr user.

• Like 1

The issue quoted in the first post will most likely be fixed waaay before ED even starts OpenXR migration. Besides the developer talks mostly about additional memory footprint required by current implementation - reducing that may, or may not help in case of DCS. If you don't run out of GPU memory now, you won't see much improvement when they further reduce memory requirements. 

OpenXR may still improve and streamline DCS VR development in the long run, but it's not a magic bullet that some may think. For a WMR headset it functions as a yet another middleware, replacing the job of SteamVR. For a Steam or Oculus headset, it will be an additional middleware layer, added between DCS and headset API, instead of current native DCS implementation. 

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 2 months later...

Any info about this? Is this still considered by ED?

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I said before, for G2 you will be replacing one middleware with another one. I wouldn't expect much performance gains, if at all. It may offer a better implementation of some aspects than SteamVR for WMR, or it may come with its own set of issues. For Oculus and Valve Index, you'll be actually adding another software layer between DCS and the headset.

OpenXR is more for streamlining developers' work, not to squeeze more performance out of the headset.

openxr-diagram.jpg

*OXR device plugin interface is optional.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hey @BIGNEWY , I know yall are working on more than a few performance updates coming down the production line, but we were wondering if there was any update on this? Last we have is from February. Did the team decide to pursue any of the above? I think any info (if possible) would be appreciated. 

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.