Poll: Will you be getting SLI?

Poll: Will you be getting SLI?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Will you be getting SLI?

• Yes
    • No
    • If LOMAC supports SLI, or vice versa, I'll get it

I answered YES! I am building a new computer right now. I will wait for a month and a half more to buy mother board and video card, because I will be absent for a month due to bussines.

These are the parts that I have right now:

Memory: OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Case: 480W power supply, 2 X 120mm and 1 X 80mm Fan

CPU: AMD 64 3200, 939 pin, Winchester core

HD: 40GB Raptor, 36.7GB, 10 000 rpm, SATA

Monitor: 19" view sonic

SLI does not work for Lock On at the moment. Therefore I will buy one video card only. that will give me an option to add another card if and when NVIDIA update SLI video driver.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I answered no. If youw ant more power out of LOMAC, wait until multi-processor platforms become mainstream and ED codes things up for SMP. At the same time, SLI is absolutely -no- different.

This is no small feat of coding and since it will benefit VERY few people I'd rather that the money I will spend on the game go towards things that will benefit -everyone-.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Greetings all!

I voted "NO"; yeah, SLI is crap! Bahh! LOL, just kidding!!!

I already have SLI and contrary to popular belief it happily chews through a ton of games I have that aren't on NVidia's list of tested games. Just some games I've played with benefit of SLI include: America's Army, Operation Flashpoint, IL2, Falcon 4.0, Doom3, FarCry, and Battlefield Vietnam. I hear it works well for Pacific Fighters benefits also :lol: .

If one is obsessed with LockOn and doesn't play anything else, well, I guess SLI isn't for that one, but then again, we all have our own opinions of what's good/bad, right/wrong, useful/useless.

Oh yes, speaking of multiprocessors, when single-package multiprocessing is available to the masses, I'll get that too. No, I'm not rich; just border-line obsessive about my computer hardware. That's why I eat dehydrated soup for lunch! :wink: :lol:

-spearsd

That's why I eat dehydrated soup for lunch! :wink: :lol:

Wow... I guess you just answered the question I posted on the other topic about games taking advantage of SLI or not...

And BTW, I appreciate when one can keep his/her sense of humor under most circumstances... specially after spending big bucks just to realize it was useless for LOMAC... :D Thank God for noodles!!!

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.

Actually, I also play quite a bit of FPS and squad based games in addition to LOMAC and other sims, and FiringSquad gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect out of LOMAC on SLI, but figured I'd try more REZ/FSAA combinations than they did.

I'm quite befuddled about LOMAC performance because initially it does seem CPU bound, but even OC'ing my 3500+ from 2200Mhz to 2600MHz (about 18%) only resulted in an average 2fps (3-4%) higher performance at 1024x768 NO FSAA and the one 6800GT that was working barely seemed to be breathing hard. ??? That just doesn't add up.

Oh well! Next week I might have some ram good for 260FSB and I'll try re-running the same benchies at various REZ/FSAA settings to see what kind of differences the OC makes.

Here's to noodles! :cry:

-spearsd

That's why I eat dehydrated soup for lunch! :wink: :lol:

Wow... I guess you just answered the question I posted on the other topic about games taking advantage of SLI or not...

And BTW, I appreciate when one can keep his/her sense of humor under most circumstances... specially after spending big bucks just to realize it was useless for LOMAC... :D Thank God for noodles!!!

the smart thing to do is to buy a single video card now, then add the second one later when the price comes down. SLI buys you a big, but barely perceptible performance increase with today's games (the difference between 60 fps and 80 fps is almost negligible). the performance increase will be very noticeable, however, with the next generation of games. in the end, you'll save a couple hundred bucks by waiting until you really need the extra speed.

yeasty,

From a budget perspective, waiting for technology is almost always the smart thing to do. Fortunately, I've never been accused of being smart! :lol:

-spearsd

the smart thing to do is to buy a single video card now, then add the second one later when the price comes down. SLI buys you a big, but barely perceptible performance increase with today's games (the difference between 60 fps and 80 fps is almost negligible). the performance increase will be very noticeable, however, with the next generation of games. in the end, you'll save a couple hundred bucks by waiting until you really need the extra speed.

Hey yeasty,

I agree with most everything you said and you touched a point which I've been battling for since the Monster3D days..."perceptible performance". In average, people only see frame rate differences up to 60fps. Beyond that, it really doesn't make a difference (except for the priveleged ones who can detect differences up to 70fps).

But in my opinion, you've failed to address 2 instances which make SLI very desirable today:

1) Games which are not CPU, but graphics bound - In this case the *lowest FPS* mark benefits a lot from SLI. Let's say you play game X with one GT6800 and you're getting an average 60 fps. If you hook up another GT6800 you achieve 90 fps... no biggie... But, if your lowest FPS in the most gfx effects intensive and objects crowded scenes with just one board is 20 FPS, than SLI would surely do the trick to keep you above the magical 30 FPS at all times!!

2) Graphics quality and resolution - As implied, people who are getting 80, 90 FPS on their games, might as well trade those 30 extra FPS for in-game higher graphics settings, on-video board features like FSAA and anisotropic filtering or higher resolution.

As for your "bugdet conscious", can you read pathological early adopter maniac?? :wink:

FlyHigh and Check Six!

Muttley, out.

the smart thing to do is to buy a single video card now, then add the second one later when the price comes down.

That is my plan! I will be out on the road from mid January to mid february and when I return, I am buying SLI motherboard and single video card. Sometime later this year, I will buy the second video card.

• Like 1

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

a single geforce 6800 gt/ultra can run doom 3 or half-life 2 at a high enough resolution to make anti-aliasing basically moot. however, the second GPU can buy you 8X or 16x anisotropic filtering, which is noticeable. so i guess an argument can be made for SLI in today's games. i'd love to see some screens of doom 3 running at 1600x1200, ultra quality, with 16x AF.

• 1 year later...

The truth is i m allredy on SLI ,but the performance are not better.First i was on 2X 6800GTUltra,and now on 7900GT but still nothing new.Well i can play online with my setings on HI ,but thet is not the point.I want 70FPS over the towns in 5 m Altitude...........shame its not going to hapend.

SLI is a waste of money. If you need to upgrade you trash 2 cards in place of one, and cards come so fast that in 6 months you could easely get a replacement that alone blows your SLI solution out of the watter.

The mid range SLI solution costs as much as a single high end card and then in 6 months its obsolete and easely surpassed by a single card.

This is of course not considering the extra charge you will have by milding your PC requirements over the SLI demands.

Twice the power hunger and twice the noise.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Pilotasso is right! It's a waste of money since You won't get double performance but will pay as for a double. I tried that. Better solution is to buy mainboard with crossover (or whatever it's called) for ATIs cards. This will double your performance but don't know will it be feel in LOMAC.

No, cause it's no practical use from it 4 me. Also I've read some test with LO included 7950 GX2 & 7900 GTX and the GTX had more FPS than GX2.

P.S. LO is the only game I have on my pc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

летаю на заказ, дорого...

"The FlankerForce"© -=приостановлено=-

Лучшее средство завоевания господства в воздухе - танк посередине ВПП © не установлено

АХТУНГ! эксперды атакуют!

Только отсутствие разведанных запасов нефти в Антарктиде, удерживает пингвинов от демократии.