Trouble with IRMAV

JIGGAwest

On 2/22/2021 at 7:05 AM, JIGGAwest said:

Hello,

I am having the hardest time with the IR Maverick AGM-65F. Nothing about firing this weapon seems intuitive.

This is the only way I can figure out how to fire the weapon. The DMT TV mode slew speed is so much faster than the TPOD. Why can't these be the same slew rate? Why is the Maverick TV mode have an upsidedown slew mode? I get so confused.

- TPOD - TPOD SLAVE mode (FIND target, designate)

- Switch to DMT TV mode on right MFD

- Pull up STORES page LEFT MFCD

- Uncage Maverick

- Sensor Select FWD for IRMV mode

- Verify target is locked, if not TDC down

-PICKLE!

Is there a way to use the TPOD instead of the DMT? I can never get the IRMAV to lock a target on it's own. If I press TDC down the seeker head just moves to the HUD pipper location. 

I'm lost and frustrated! Please help!

This aircraft was the first i bought and i really hate it cause i don't get the logic of the systems, all the other 20 aircraft/helis i now own make sense and i can learn all the systems if i follow tutorials. When i follow a tutorial on the Harrier i don't get it to work, i have not fired a single maverick cause i don't figure out the work flow.

From what I understand:

IRMav not have an automatic lock system (TGP auto handoff), so the TGP is ok to find targets, but you must switch to IRmav logic (select IRmav sensor), search for a lock and fire.

It's best to tune brightness and contrast prior to enter target area.

In my opinion is simpler to use the Laser Maverick with the TGP; no need to switch sensor, what the pod is lasing is what the missile will track.

I agree that coming from say the Hornet it does seem odd, however this video (and the associated miz file) helped me enormously.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 2:20 AM, netizensmith said:

They are a nightmare yes. In my experience after switching from TPOD to IRMV the Mav will never actually be locked on the target but instead of TDC down I just slew it about a bit until it locks. This now works quite well.

What I have found is that if I make a mistake in the button presses on the TDC then I can get the system into a state wher nothing works anymore I.e. I can't slew the TPOD or the DMT,sometimes requiring me to quit out and start again. Next time it happens I'll upload a track for Razbam to take a look at.

I've had this same issue. Last night I actually got it to work for the first time and while I think I have it down, it is not very intuitive. You really have to think about what you're doing. When I am doing it, because I just figured out how, I am in an active pause cuz I don't think I could do all that and fly the plane at the same time. At least not yet.

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

9 hours ago, brettt777 said:

I've had this same issue. Last night I actually got it to work for the first time and while I think I have it down, it is not very intuitive. You really have to think about what you're doing. When I am doing it, because I just figured out how, I am in an active pause cuz I don't think I could do all that and fly the plane at the same time. At least not yet.

It's not intuitive because the Harrier wasn't designed with the TPOD in mind. Once you get the ryhem down it gets easier.