A-10C II: Iron Flag campaign demo mission by Baltic Dragon

baltic_dragon

Iron%20Flag%20Square%20Logo.png

Hey guys,

I've posted it quite some time before, but now wanted to share the updated version of the first mission for the upcoming A-10C II Warthog campaign (which will also be compatible with old A-10 on release), called the Iron Flag

This project was in the making for some time with ups and downs related to real life stuff, but we're finally nearing completion of the first 11-mission part. This campaign aims at teaching you all you need to know about the Warthog from the very beginning in an entertaining and fun way. It is story driven (you are a former A-10A pilot going through upgrade training to the new Warthog), with interesting characters and lots of knowledge presented in pretty digestible (I hope!) manner. 

Grab the file HERE.

More info together with some preview videos by Bunyap can be found on my website

Enjoy and let me know what you think! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hi, thanks for the upload. I tried the mission, but got stuck after during the testing of the flaps. I'm pretty sure BIFF mentioned something about the lights, which I neglected, so perhaps it is that. Anyway I had no clue how to proceed, I flipped all the lights switches, moved the flaps up and down, but to no avail. Having a way to recover after user error, or having BIFF repeat the last instruction would be nice option.

Until then, it was great, a very thorough start-up procedure that is way more entertaining than a checklist. Normally I follow a quick startup (I'm always in a hurry!). And for beginning virtual pilots this might be a better option. Well, perhaps you could consider this.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

@baltic_dragon The voice acting as per usual is great and the briefing material nice and professional.  Here are some nit-picking comments that are more for awareness as none are "breaking", just might be helpful if your target is novice pilots, or those unfamiliar with certain terminology.

- Briefing material:  Typically, you want to define uncommon acronyms on first use.  For example, I admit I am not familiar with either BIFF or VO.  They are used both in the graphic and the briefing text though spelling out in the briefing text makes more sense (and simpler to update) given the images represent the "official" materials.

- Start-up Procedure: (1 - NON CONCERN )) Instructions walk through well, however, many of the switches called out are already in the proper state.  Not sure if these can be changed out of default to mimic a RL startup procedure, or if it is best as is.  (2) directs to put 'Navigation Lights into the Flash Position' however there are only Anti-Collision Lights and Position Lights for flash position.  I may be one of few this throws off but not the end of the world either way (I assume it is referring to Position Lights?).  (3) Depending on the random cloud generation, departure and climb to 5000 results in coming out into the clouds, meaning you may miss his calls to look at the I-15 and some other reference points.  Recommend moving the base cloud layer just above 5,000 or alternating to a different preset.  Alternatively, I was good at 4400 ft.

Again, those are nit picks.  The only other offer is a way to skip the initial familiarization for those more advanced, as this was a great tutorial, but more seasoned folks may not wish to sit through it.  I look forward to what you have coming in tow!  Very enjoyable!!!

Thanks @Immune. As you can imagine, some of the things were written for the old A-10C and things changed in A-10C II. However, replacing the VOs would be too difficult, especially that they would be recorded on the different mike and would stand out from the rest. So we decided to leave it as is. 

The clouds are now changed to reflect the 2.7 possibilities, so it should work better. 

Good idea with option to skip the first part, thanks, I'll add it to the mission. Coming to the end of Part 1, almost there!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I tried to stress, all of those are basically nitpicks, nothing world-ending.  And I just picked up VO=voice over...LOL!  None of my comments should be construed to mean the voice overs need changing, they are all really good man.  I was saying if anything, the text (right side) of the briefing window could be expanded if you felt like it.  At the end of the day, that is what Google is for, so we (users) can figure them out rather simply...or post in the forums.

Keep on keepin' on mate!  Very great work.  And I dare say they have been far superior to ED's missions with regard to immersion and how well coordinated the triggers are.  Now if we could only get the friendly AI wing and flight members to not be morons and fly themselves into the side of mountains on a clear sky as we roll into an attack!  But that is for another post on another day (kidding, there are plenty of those posts already).

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hopefully I'm just missing something here, which is typical of my DCS career, but I can't find the new Iorn Flag A10C II training campaign listed on the ED campaign page???

This is not a day one purchase, this is an hour one purchase. And BTW   THANK YOU for doing this for all us weekend part time Warthog jocks. MUCH appreciated!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

I think most missions will use no clouds at all, or only very moderate clouds. That's what it looks like down in Nevada anyway. 😉

One mission on instruments makes use of heavy clouds; I think it's probably possible to change the mission in the mission editor and save it with no clouds, but don't quote me on this.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, deep said:

Saving a campaign mission after weather changes is locked out in the Mission Editor, at least on the few I tried.

You might have to get a little creative there.

Official Campaign missions are stored in your DCS installation directory, e.g.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World

By default, you can't write files there, and DCS also won't permit saving anything there (DCS can save files in that structure, but it won't allow you to do so from the Mission Editor). The workaround would be to copy the mission in question to another location, like maybe your Saved Games\DCS folder, edit and save the mission, and copy it back (always make sure you've backed up the original file first!).

I think it should be possible to change weather and a few other items, whereas the triggers will be completely locked against editing.

I did get this going. For reference, I had to unpack the .miz file and edit the mission text file:

["clouds"] = 
        {
            ["density"] = 4,
            ["thickness"] = 470,
            ["preset"] = "Preset1",
            ["base"] = 4200,
            ["iprecptns"] = 0,
        }, -- end of ["clouds"] 

To:

["clouds"] = 
        {
            ["density"] = 0,
            ["thickness"] = 200,
            ["preset"] = "Preset0",
            ["base"] = 2500,
            ["iprecptns"] = 0,
        }, -- end of ["clouds"] 

Then repack the .miz file.

Thanks for the tip @Yurgon!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Wespe said:

I already completed BFT and AAT campaigns. Will be this campaign interesting for me?

I'd say yes, most likely. If you happened to know everything that is covered in this campaign, I think you'd still enjoy the setting and the presentation. Personally, I definitely learned some new stuff (haven't flown the other campaigns you mentioned, but I love the A-10C in DCS and have spent quite a bit of time in it).

I honestly can't think of a reason for anyone not to enjoy the campaign. It's only when someone is completely new to the A-10C, or flight sims in general, that the campaign might be a little bit too advanced.

• Like 1